Open NASAT Mirror @ UMN, 8/18

Old college threads.
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Open NASAT Mirror @ UMN, 8/18

Post by Muriel Axon »

UMN Quizbowl is pleased to announce an open mirror of NASAT on Saturday, August 18. Details about the set can be found here.

The tournament will have an initial field cap of twelve teams, pending recruitment of qualified staffers. The entry fee with be $90 per team, with $10 discounts for: (1) each buzzer, (2) each staffer, and (3) each 150 mi of distance traveled (one-way). We're prepared to offer steep discounts on an individual basis for teams that are new to quiz bowl, or have not played a tournament in a long time. The minimum fee will be $50 per team.

Free agents may use this thread to form teams. To register, please email [email protected], and cc: [email protected]. There is a spreadsheet for team formation here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

If there is interest, we could consider playing any summer side events not played during the Illinois Side Event Weekend the prior week. Email the two addresses above if you're interested in hosting side events. We will send further logistical details and details about payment to registered teams, but feel free to PM or email me with specific questions.

EDIT: In response to questions about how the distance discount applies to teams coming from different places -- if you are coming from different directions and cannot carpool, please contact me and we'll negotiate it individually.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Re: Open NASAT Mirror @ UMN, 8/18

Post by Muriel Axon »

Contrary to my claim that we'll host side events not taking place at the Illinois event, we've had interest in mirrors of SNICK, WORLDSTAR, and Words and Objects, most likely on Sunday following the tournament.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Update: I'm putting up team formation spreadsheets for potential mirrors of SNICK, WORLDSTAR, and Words and Objects. Please sign up if you're interested. If we don't have at least four teams for each event, we may switch to a shoot-out format, if that's okay with the writers of each respective set.

I would appreciate if people start to sign up soon so that we can see whether there is enough interest in each event that we can hold them all on Sunday, or whether we should just do one event on Saturday (and nothing on Sunday).

EDIT: Please sign up for SNICK at the spreadsheet linked from Erik's thread here. Timing will be decided soon -- if you have strong feelings about Saturday evening vs. Sunday, please send me or Erik (or both, preferably) a message.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

All three side events will be on Sunday. SNICK will be first. Please sign up soon!
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Sam
Rikku

Post by Sam »

Would there be any interest in Mike's film tournament, maybe right after NASAT? I don't know how many will have seen it at Illinois already.
Sam Bailey
Minnesota '21
Chicago '13
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

I've uploaded stats. I'm guessing the score in game 9 between Greater East Naperville Co-Prosperity Sphere and I Fell During Bite the Box and Now I Have This Scab Team is incorrect, so if any of the participants in that game have the real score, let me know. Otherwise, it will take me a while to check the scoresheet.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Muriel Axon wrote:I'm guessing the score in game 9 between Greater East Naperville Co-Prosperity Sphere and I Fell During Bite the Box and Now I Have This Scab Team is incorrect, so if any of the participants in that game have the real score, let me know. Otherwise, it will take me a while to check the scoresheet.
I was keeping score on our team, but I don't think I have the scoresheets anymore, sorry!

MNASAT and SNICK were really fun events, thanks to UMN for hosting! We had to make some tweaks to the schedule because of some last-minute drops, but I appreciate Shan's flexibility and willingness to listen to what people wanted to do.

We had a shoot-out of some extra packets from Side Event Weekend and other miscellaneous packets after SNICK on Sunday.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

wang why couldn't your team get 2.9 more ppg :sad:
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Found the correct score to that round 9 game -- the stats above should now be (more) correct. Please PM or email me with further corrections!
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10