EFT at Michigan (09/29/2018)

Old college threads.
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

EFT at Michigan (09/29/2018)

Post by excessive dismemberment »

Hello,

I am pleased to announce that the University of Michigan will host a mirror of the 2018 Early Fall Tournament (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20808) on the 29th of September. The tournament will begin at 9 am in Mason Hall, with registration beginning at 8:15 am.

Fees and Discounts:

$120 base fee
-$5 per functioning buzzer
-$10 per competent staffer (Staffers must have their own laptop and be comfortable with the use of advanced statistics)
-$15 per 200 miles travel distance one way

Please pay by cash or check on the day of the tournament. We can provide invoices if you require them. Checks should be made out to "Michigan Academic Competitions."

Eligibility and Registration

"This tournament will be completely closed. High schoolers may play, and can play on chimera teams with permission, but permission will only be granted if they are unable to play with their school team. Exceptions to these rules may possibly be granted with approval of the head editor." Please contact me with any eligibility exceptions, and I will contact the head editor, and then we shall see what happens.

Registration Closed

Field (teams/buzzers/staffers):
Kenyon - 3/1/0
Wright State - 1/1/0
OSU - 3/2/?
MSU - 4/1/0
Michigan - 3/2?/some

If you have any questions, email me at [email protected] or post about it down below.

See you in a few weeks!
Last edited by excessive dismemberment on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
University of Michigan '20
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

Re: EFT at Michigan (09/29/2018)

Post by gimmedatguudsuccrose »

Will statistics for this tournament be posted on the database?
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

gimmedatguudsuccrose wrote:Will statistics for this tournament be posted on the database?

Yes they will, and the stats for EFT 2017 will be posted over the next couple of days
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

rùdrâ wrote:stats for EFT 2017 will be posted over the next couple of days
Posted.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

Field updated, and it would be greatly appreciated if teams could register soon! This mirror is just 3 weeks away, and it would be really helpful for us to be able to reserve rooms. Hope to see you all there!
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

Registration meeting at 8:30 am tomorrow in 3347 Mason Hall. Looking forward to seeing all of you there!
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

Congrats to OSU A on winning this Mirror! Stats should be posted soon, and I hope no one had too many issues with the way this was run. Thank you all for coming out!
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Thanks to everyone for playing. To discuss the set, please join the discussion forum at User Control Panel -> Usergroups -> 2018 EFT Discussion.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Sylvia Pankhurst
Lulu

Post by Sylvia Pankhurst »

Overall this tournament was really fun and ran smoothly. The decision to have teams stick with the same reader all day ended up working out well for us, as Asher was great. It was the first tournament for about half of the players Kenyon brought, and all seemed to enjoy the experience.

Unfortunately, one negative experience stands out. While playing one of the Michigan teams, after the lead in to a bonus made it clear that it was asking for a woman, a player responded "i’m so done with all this feminist content." This is beyond unacceptable. I was personally made very uncomfortable by this comment, and I know Lucy, the freshman at her second-ever tournament on my team, was as well. If this player is willing to make these kinds of comments while playing against women and on a team with a woman on it, I can now only imagine what he is willing to say in practice.

After the round, Lucy came up to me, nervously, and asked if that kind of comment was common. I hated that I couldn't tell her that it was the only experience that I have had like this. This cannot continue. Yesterday, I was the only person to respond to this comment. The other players on the Michigan team turned away from this player and would not meet my eyes across the desks before snapping back into game mode and working on the bonus. Be it in practice or during a game(!) when you hear your teammate make a comment like this it needs to be immediately shot down.
Lauren Onel
she/her/hers
UC Lab 2016
Kenyon 2020
UChicago 2022
Princeton 202?

WINNER -- 2017 ILQBM MEME OF THE YEAR
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

I would like to apologize for that. I do not believe that my teammate meant any harm when he said that (he is considered somewhat of a thought player, and I think failed to get any points on the more feminism-related bonuses), but yes, I or someone else should have said something. What he said is not really acceptable. As the oldest/most experienced player on the team, it probably should have been me who said something, and I definitely messed up by failing to do so. I sincerely hope that neither your experience nor Lucy's experience of the tournament was colored too much by that, and I hope that I can convey to her that generally we are better people than shown by that incident.

Edit: I and others felt it was important to note that the person in question does not have a pattern of such behavior or anything. We have never seen him say or do anything that would suggest that the remark was the result of him harboring sexist attitudes, and he just slipped up and made a mistake.
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

rùdrâ wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:50 am Congrats to OSU A on winning this Mirror! Stats should be posted soon, and I hope no one had too many issues with the way this was run. Thank you all for coming out!
Staaaaaaaaaaaaaats have been posted here. Let me know if you find any errors. Thanks again to everyone who played!
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database