DATE CHANGE: 2018 ACF Fall Great Lakes @ Ohio State (SUNDAY, 11/4/18)

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I am pleased to announce the Great Lakes site of ACF Fall 2018, to be held at the Ohio State University on Sunday, November 2018.

Registration
Registration for this event has two steps:
First, please email [email protected] with team name, number, and buzzer/staffer information.
Second, fill out the central ACF Fall registration form with all relevant information.

Fees
Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$10/staffer (NOTE: Staffers must be confirmed with and approved by the TD ahead of time)
Shorthanded fee (teams of 1 or 2 players): $60
"New to Quizbowl" discount: $100

Packet Discounts/Penalties
Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2017 is required to submit a half-packet.

Half-packet templates will be sent out to your team after you have submitted the registration form. If you have questions on the submission guidelines, email them to [email protected] and they'll clarify.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2018: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Submission Schedule
September 8: -$30
September 22: -$15 (-$30 if optional)
October 6: no penalty (-$15 if optional)
October 13: +$25
October 20: +$50
Packets submitted later than October 20 will receive an additional penalty.

Note Regarding Highschool Teams
High school teams are not allowed to register for this mirror of ACF Fall.

For more information, consult the global announcement or email the editors at [email protected].
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Re: 2018 ACF Fall Great Lakes @ Ohio State (11/3/18)

Post by DumbJaques »

UPDATE: There is apparently a chance that the OSU home football game on this day could be scheduled for the afternoon.

My current plan is therefore this:
-If the football game is scheduled for the evening, the tournament will proceed normally.
-If the football game is scheduled for the afternoon, the tournament will move to the next day (Sunday, 11/4/2018).

I apologize to teams for the uncertainty; for the time being this seems like the best way to manage it, but I'm open to other suggestions.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Can you get the football team to move their game to accommodate you?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Mike Bentley wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:51 am Can you get the football team to move their game to accommodate you?
I texted Urban Meyer's wife, but he says he never saw it.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
brianamagin
Lulu

Re: POSSIBLE DATE CHANGE: 2018 ACF Fall Great Lakes @ Ohio State (11/3/18 -OR- 11/4/18)

Post by brianamagin »

Would love to get a definitive date on this tournament soon.

If collegiate game times only get announced 7-10 days ahead of time that seems a little too last minute for clubs to choose their location, register, and book hotel rooms.
Briana Magin
Michigan State University '19
MSU QB President '18
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

This tournament has been moved to Sunday, to prevent the incomparable suffering that would be induced by having to navigate OSU during game day. See you then!
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Re: DATE CHANGE: 2018 ACF Fall Great Lakes @ Ohio State (SUNDAY, 11/4/18)

Post by DumbJaques »

Field Update:

CMU A
CMU B
CMU C
CWRU A
CWRU B
Kenyon A
Kenyon B
Kenyon C
Louisville A
Louisville B
Michigan A
Michigan B
Michigan C
MSU A
MSU B
MSU C
MSU D
MSU E
Wright State

There are still spots remaining - make sure you've registered BOTH by sending me an email, and by filling out the ACF registration form.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey Miami University, you're definitely not registered for this tournament (which requires you to email me as well as register on the ACF website). The emails I've sent to your contact from last year were not returned. Please contact me ASAP, or you won't be in the field.

For everyone else: The current field has been updated, and we're now at 21 teams (or I guess maybe like, 23? Seriously Miami please email me). A logistics email will go out later in the week. Please confirm that the number of buzzers/staffers/packet submission info on the ACF registry is correct, to avoid trouble paying Saturday. This is also a good time to remind everyone that this year, you will be paying hosts directly - so, come Sunday morning with money, as you would any other tournament, etc.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Good morning! Here are the logistics for Sunday's event:

First: IF YOU STILL NEED AN INVOICE OR W-9, please contact our treasurer, Chris Schroth ([email protected]). If you haven't otherwise touched base with us, payment will be expected Sunday morning.

Location/Time:
Registration will begin at 8:15 in Enarson Classroom Building, Room 226. The morning meeting is scheduled for 8:45, with rounds beginning by 9:00 AM. If you are running late, please contact the TD at 240 672 1140. All game rooms will be in Enarson.

Schedule:
We will play 7 rounds of prelims (3 brackets of 7 with byes, so 6 games in 7 rounds). Lunch will be after round 7. We will then play 4 crossover games, followed by advantaged finals as needed.

Parking:
I recommend parking in the Tuttle Garage (http://osu.campusparc.com/home/garages/ ... park-place), which is right next to Enarson and is located across the street from the Stadium. It's about $12 for the day. If you'd like to seek free street parking, I'd get here early. Very, very early. But since it's Sunday, most (but not all!) meters may not apply.

I can be reached via email, or more preferably the day of the tournament, by text/phone at 240 672 1140.

That's it - see everyone Sunday!
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

At the conclusion of playoffs, there was a three-way tie for first place between Wright State, CMU A, and CMU B. CMU A won a play-in game, leading to a showdown against Wright State. After an outstanding, back-and-forth game, Wright State first-clued the final tossup and 20ed the bonus to eke out a 320-315 victory, taking the ACF Fall 2018 Great Lakes title. Congratulations, Nour, Kara, and Aaron!

Meanwhile, in DII, CWRU A took home the title, with Kenyon B finishing 2nd. Congratulations!

Stats for the tournament are available here: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5403/

Sincere thanks to all our staffers, who helped us finish 12 rounds by 5:00 PM. Thanks especially Seth Teitler, Ramapriya Rangaraju, Dillon Li, Harris Bunker, and Jakob Myers.
Thanks as well to OSUAT members who helped staff - Clark Smith, Aakash Singh, Aniketh Udipi, Joe Sierputowski, Joanne Rhode, Jon Huang, Laurel Spangler, Matt Esker, and Amol Gandhi.
Also thanks to our house team players - Rachel Meyer, Julia Casillas-Montes, Evan Mitelman, Vincent Lucarelli, Sam Stahler, Pranav Padmanabhan, Doug Synowka, and Cameron Kotick.
And extra special thanks to Chris Schroth, who ably helmed our stats operation and got this tournament posted within 20 minutes of the final bell. Relatedly, he's the person you should email with stats corrections/questions - [email protected].

Thanks again for all teams who made it out!
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE