Re: Penn Bowl Mirror at Harvard (10/27/18)

Old college threads.
mrmotag
Lulu

Penn Bowl Mirror at Harvard (10/27/18)

Post by mrmotag »

Hi all,

Harvard College Bowl is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a mirror of Penn Bowl on Saturday, October 27, 2018!

Logistics:
The tournament will be held in the second floor of Sever Hall, which is located next to the historic Tercentenary Theatre. We recommend using the MBTA Red Line to get to the tournament, as parking options in the area are limited and traffic can be unpredictable. Registration will begin at 8:30 am: we aim to hold the opening meeting at 9:00 am and finish by 6:00 pm at the latest (teams in finals or tiebreakers may need to stay until 6:30 pm). There will be preliminary and playoff rounds, with rebracketing in between. A lunch break will take place when most convenient; teams will have access to a variety of food options in Harvard Square. Parking is admittedly difficult in Cambridge, but this is probably the best option: http://www.harvardsquare.com/harvard-sq ... ing-garage.

I, Ricky Li, am the tournament director, and I can be reached at either [email protected] or 517-402-4790. Please only use my phone number on the day of the tournament.

Fees:
Tournament fees/discounts are the following:
+$120 per attending team
-$5 per working buzzer system (must have power cord and 8 functional buzzers, maximum three buzzer systems per organization)
-$15 per experienced moderator (must be familiar with quiz bowl rules/scoring, and have good pronunciation, speed, and reading skills)
-$10 if your team has to travel more than 200 miles one way, according to Google Maps

The field size is capped at 18 teams; both high school and college teams are eligible to participate. To register, email me at [email protected]. Please include "Penn Bowl Registration" in the email subject, and specify where you are from, the number of teams you would like to bring, and any relevant discounts. Registrations are not complete until I respond in some fashion saying so!

Set Details:
Details for Penn Bowl can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21304. The set is written by Penn Quiz Bowl et al., and will be head-edited by Jaimie Carlson.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions regarding the tournament!
Last edited by mrmotag on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ricky Li
Okemos High School '17
Harvard '21 (President)
mrmotag
Lulu

Post by mrmotag »

Field, 10/24/18 (Team/Buzzers/Moderators/Scorekeepers):
Yale University, CT (4/2/1/0)
Rutgers University, NJ (1/0/0/0)
Amherst College, MA (1/0/2/0)
MIT, MA (3/1/0/0)
Brown University, RI (1/0/0/0)
Boston College, MA (1/1/0/0)
TOTAL (11/4/3/0)
Last edited by mrmotag on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky Li
Okemos High School '17
Harvard '21 (President)
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

me, in the wrong post wrote:This was super fun and super well run (and I'm now getting home before 4 AM because the tournament ran super well). Thanks!
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
AGoodMan
Rikku

Penn Bowl Mirror at Harvard (10/27/18)

Post by AGoodMan »

Ricky was the TD, so I'll keep this short. Thank you to everyone who came to play or staff. We were able to finish the tournament basically by 6pm despite some early setbacks; I want to give a lot of credit first to Ricky, and also to the staffers.

Stats will be uploaded by tonight. Amherst (Kevin Wang, Boyang Jiao, Eliot Williams, Andy Tang) cleared the field to win the tournament.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
kearnm7
Wakka

Post by kearnm7 »

Just wanted to thank Ricky, Jon, and the Harvard team for a great tournament - probably the best run I've attended, despite our best efforts to make life difficult for them.
Michael Kearney
Yale '20
ACF Site Coordinator, 2021 (Interim); ACF Nationals Assistant TD, 2021; ACF Nationals TD, 2022; ACF President, 2022-2023.
Agamemnon
Lulu

Post by Agamemnon »

Seconded. As my the first tournament of my college career, I must say that I was thoroughly encouraged to continue playing this game. Thank you all for a clean 10 rounds and tiebreaker.
Alex Hu
Richard Montgomery '18
Yale '22
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

AGoodMan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:28 pm Stats will be uploaded by tonight. Amherst (Kevin Wang, Boyang Jiao, Eliot Williams, Andy Tang) cleared the field to win the tournament.
Prelim and Playoff stats are up first. Combined stats will follow soon (SQBS won't let me merge files, so it might be a manual job).
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20