ACF Fall @ University of Florida (11/04/18)

Old college threads.
Mahavishnu
Lulu

ACF Fall @ University of Florida (11/04/18)

Post by Mahavishnu »

I am pleased to announce the Southeast site of ACF Fall 2018, to be held at the University of Florida on Sunday, November 4th, 2018. Check-in for teams will take place in Matherly Hall, Room 002, and will begin at 8:30 A.M., with rounds beginning as close to 9:00 A.M. as possible.

Registration

Registration for this event has two steps:

First, please write to me at [email protected] with team name, number, and buzzer/staffer information.
Second, fill out the central ACF Fall registration form with all relevant information.

Fees

Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$10/staffer
Shorthanded fee (teams of 1 or 2 players): $60
"New to Quizbowl" discount: $100

Packet Discounts/Penalties
Any team with at least two people on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2017 is required to submit a packet, unless it is a high school team.

Half-packet templates will be sent out to your team after you have submitted the registration form. If you have questions on the submission guidelines, email them to [email protected] and they'll clarify.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2018: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Submission schedule

September 8: -$30
September 22: -$15 (-$30 if optional)
October 6: no penalty (-$15 if optional)
October 13: +$25
October 20: +$50
Packets submitted later than October 20 will receive an additional penalty.

Note Regarding Highschool Teams
High school teams are not allowed to register for this mirror of ACF Fall.

For more information, consult the global announcement or email the editors at [email protected]
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Re: ACF Fall @ University of Florida (11/04/18)

Post by Mahavishnu »

Hello everyone! I'm pleased to say that our mirror of ACF Fall went swimmingly and successfully. The event consisted of a 13-team round robin, leading each team to have 12 played games and a single bye, with a potential advantaged final if necessary.

UF B, consisting of myself, went undefeated over 12 rounds to claim victory. Also performing excellently was the 2nd place UF A (Nabeel Farooq, Jacob Hujsa, Min Kim, Zachary Knecht), the 3rd place UCF A (Daniel Golisch, Donny Lisle, Hannah Sage, Peter Torres), and the 4th place NCF A (Katia Diamond, Adrienne Hill, David Honsinger, Leo Law). Due to some cannibalizing within the aforementioned teams, the advantaged final ended up not being necessary. UF B was also awarded the Undergraduate and DII titles.

The top individual scorer was myself. Also congratulations to Jesse Gingold of Valencia, Maddie Hendrick of FSU, and Leo Law of NCF A, who respectively earned 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place individual scorers. As myself and UF A opted out of receiving an extra book for the top two teams, the following people also received book prizes:

5. Daniel Golisch - UCF A
6. Harley Andrew - NCF B
7. Jacob Hujsa - UF A
8. Dylan Higbie - UCF B
9. Jason Zappulla - UF E
10. Hannah Sage - UCF A
11. David Honsinger - NCF A
12. Graham O'Donnell - FSU
13. Peter Torres - UCF A
14. Philip Reilly - USF
15. Henry Hill - UF C
16. Zachary Knecht - UF A

Stats can be found at the following link.

I would like to give special thanks to many people involved in this effort.

Colossal thanks to Taylor Harvey, who stepped up to direct this tournament on rather short notice.
Sizeable thanks to Taylor Harvey, Cody Johansen, John Lievonen, Jonathen Settle, Alex Shaw, and Matt Soree, who all served as excellent staffers throughout the course of the day.
Big thanks to Yared Tadesse, who, on very limited experience, ran our entire stats operation without a hitch!
Tremendous thanks to all of our house players, Anthony Delgado, Alejandra Diaz-Fernandez, Victor Fan, Nabeel Farooq, Will Grossman, Henry Hill, Jacob Hujsa, Min Kim, Zachary Knecht, Khanh Nguyen, Caitlin Parandjuk, Joseph Rios, and Jason Zappulla. Of these players, special thanks to our D and E team members, Alejandra, Caitlin, Jason, Joseph, and Victor, who played on shorted teams and still remained enthusiastic throughout the day.
Large thanks to FSU, NCF, UCF, USF, and Valencia for coming to Gainesville and contributing to a fantastic day!

If anyone has stats corrections or other inquiries, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Everyone performed admirably, and I look forward to seeing you all at our next tournament (most likely some time next spring)!

:party:
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22