Sun God New England at Brown

Old college threads.
MaestroExtraordinaire98
Lulu

Sun God New England at Brown

Post by MaestroExtraordinaire98 »

This is an announcement for a mirror of 2018 Sun God Invitational to be held at Brown University on December 1st, 2018. Details about the set can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20713.

Logistics:
The tournament will be held in the Barus and Holley building, on Brook St between George St and Waterman St (the same place the ACF Fall 2016 mirror was held two years back, if anyone remembers that). The front of the building is in the new Engineering Center, on Thayer Street. A map of campus can be found here: https://www.brown.edu/Facilities/Facili ... ment/maps/. Registration will begin at 8, and (hopefully) matches will begin at 9. There will be an opening meeting at 8:45 am. There will also be a lunch break, and teams will have the opportunity to try the various food options on nearby Thayer Street.
As of now there is a tentative field cap of 16 teams, but we are open to increasing that if there is more interest. College teams and high school teams are welcome to this tournament.

Joseph Ham will be the tournament director. I (Ujwal Punyamurtula) will also be staffing the tournament, and I can be reached at either [email protected] or (512) 970-7752.

Details on fees coming soon.

To register, email me (Ujwal) at [email protected]. Please include Sun God Registration in the email subject, the name of the school you will be playing for, the number of teams you would like to bring. If applicable, please also include the number of buzzer sets and the number of staffers you will be bringing. Discounts for buzzers and staffers will be announced soon.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions regarding the tournament!
Last edited by MaestroExtraordinaire98 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ujwal Punyamurtula
Brown '21
LASA '17
Kealing Middle School '13

"The French taste for Faulkner was less a compliment to American literature than an indication of some terrible 'crisis in French taste and reason'".
10pc KFC Bucket
Lulu

Re: Sun God New England at Brown

Post by 10pc KFC Bucket »

This post will be reserved for field updates.

Current Field: (teams/buzzers/staffers)

Yale (4/2/0)
MIT (2/1/0)
Harvard (2/2/0)
Amherst (1/0/0)
Brown (1 house team)

Total: (10/5/0)

On the day of the tournament, any questions or concerns can be communicated to me, Joe Ham, at [email protected] or 732-354-6294
Last edited by 10pc KFC Bucket on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Joe Ham
EBHS Tournament Director '18
Brown '22
kitakule
Wakka

Post by kitakule »

Could we get a field update please?
Moses Kitakule
ESA '15
Yale '19
Columbia '28 (???)
kearnm7
Wakka

Post by kearnm7 »

I completely understand the desire to have a house team, especially for a regular difficulty tournament, but I'm just curious as to whether thought has been given to the bracketing? Nine teams seems a less ideal structure than eight, which avoids byes entirely, including in playoffs. My apologies if my information is incomplete or more teams are expected to sign up.
Michael Kearney
Yale '20
ACF Site Coordinator, 2021 (Interim); ACF Nationals Assistant TD, 2021; ACF Nationals TD, 2022; ACF President, 2022-2023.
10pc KFC Bucket
Lulu

The house team has been removed from the field and the tournament will run with 8 teams. Barring any drastic last-minute changes, teams can expect to play a full round robin for prelims followed by three rounds for playoffs after splitting the field into two brackets of four, for 10 rounds total and no byes. Tiebreaker rounds will be added to determine first through third place if necessary. A break for lunch will likely be sometime in the middle of the playoffs, depending how early we can start.

With the addition of Harvard's second team and buzzer set, we now have 9 teams registered and with Brown's house team, 10 teams total. A round robin between all teams will be played, followed by any necessary tiebreaker playoffs to determine first, second, and third place.

Thank you for signing up and we'll see everyone on Saturday!

Joe
Joe Ham
Brown '22
MaestroExtraordinaire98
Lulu

Fee Structure Details are as follows:

The base entry fee for each team will be $120. There will be a $5 discount per working buzzer set, a $10 discount per 200 miles traveled one way, and a $5 discount per staffer. Please make all checks payable to Joseph Ham.
Ujwal Punyamurtula
Brown '21
LASA '17

"The French taste for Faulkner was less a compliment to American literature than an indication of some terrible 'crisis in French taste and reason'".
MaestroExtraordinaire98
Lulu

Stats are now available at http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/54 ... all_games/. Thanks to everyone who attended the tournament!
Ujwal Punyamurtula
Brown '21
LASA '17

AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

I just wanted to clarify that the person who went 6-9-3 on Harvard A is actually Kelvin Li. I did not play this tournament.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

This tournament ran very well--in particular, it was very well staffed, allowing advanced statistics to be collected without much hassle or delay. I'm glad to see Brown return to the hosting scene after a two-year hiatus!
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
10pc KFC Bucket
Lulu

The stats will be updated shortly to reflect the correct name of the Harvard player.

Also, thank you for your positive feedback! We hope to make Brown-hosted quiz bowl events a much more regular thing in the future, and if yesterday's tournament was any indicator of how things would go in the following years, I'd say we have a good shot.

However, because this was my first experience as a tournament director at a college-level tournament and many members of our staff were also new to the college scene, I understand that there may have been areas to work on. If anyone has any constructive criticisms to offer so that we can ensure that the next tournament we run can be even more successful, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Lastly, congrats to Yale A for winning Sun God New England and thank you to everybody who came!
Joe Ham
Brown '22