ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Thaumatibis gigantea
Lulu

ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Swarthmore College Quizbowl is pleased to announce that we will host Mid-Atlantic site of this year's ACF Regionals on Saturday, January 26, 2019.

To register, you must: AND
  • E-mail us at swarthmorequizbowl [AT] gmail [DOT] com with your number of teams, buzzers and staffers.
FEES:
Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$10/staffer
Shorthanded fee (teams of 1 or 2 players): $60
New to quizbowl discount: -$100

"New to quizbowl" discount is intended for schools that did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2017, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.

PACKET SUBMISSION: Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a college student or as a high school student) prior to September 1, 2017 is required to submit a half-packet. Teams composed of people who have not played regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournaments prior to September 1, 2017, are not required to submit a half-packet, but may choose to do so by the no penalty deadline for a -$50 discount. For further details, please see the global tournament announcement.

LOCATION/LOGISTICS:
We will be conducting this tournament in Kohlberg Hall. Swarthmore's campus is accessible via the Swarthmore stop of the SEPTA Media/Elwyn regional rail line which connects to bus and Amtrak stops in Philadelphia. Free guest parking is also available in the Whittier and Ben West lots for the day.

Registration will open at 8:00 AM on the tournament day with a goal of starting rounds by 9:00. Further information will be distributed to registered teams closer to tournament day.

We have reached a tentative field cap of 24 teams, which can be expanded pending additional volunteer or team staffers.

FIELD (teams/buzzers/staffers):
Rutgers (4/0/0)
Johns Hopkins (3/3/0)
UVA (1/0/0)
Princeton (2/1/0?)
Penn (4/2/0)
UMD (3/1/1)
Delaware (1/2/0)
Georgetown (2/1/1)
Columbia (4/4/0)

Any further questions can be directed to me via PM or e-mail.
Last edited by Thaumatibis gigantea on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rebecca Rosenthal, BFMS (Ridgewood), BCA (Hackensack)
PACE Member and Empress of Swarthmore College Quizbowl, class of 2020

Milhouse
Wakka

Re: ACF Regionals @ Swarthmore (1/26)

Post by Milhouse » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:55 am

Could we get an update on the wait-list (preferably including in what order teams on it will be added)?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Writer, NAQT

"For the stronger we our houses do build, / The less chance we have of being killed."
William McGonagall, "The Tay Bridge Disaster"

Thaumatibis gigantea
Lulu

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:55 pm

My apologies for not updating the field list recently. Due to the overwhelming interest, I think unfortunately it would be best to implement a retroactive waitlist for schools intending to bring more than two teams until I can definitely secure more staff so that every school has the opportunity to participate in a quality tournament. Updating the field cap to 18, the field now stands as follows:

Teams will be admitted from the waitlist at the end of December in order of date of request for additional teams received (or if it was in your original registration, that date). Thanks for your understanding!

EDIT 12/30: see the first post for updated field listing
Last edited by Thaumatibis gigantea on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Has ACF contacted Swarthmore about connecting the club with external staff? I know that there are a huge number of quizbowl alums in the DC/College Park/Philly areas that would presumably be happy to staff if asked.
Jacob Reed
Yale '17, '19
East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from...the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens

Thaumatibis gigantea
Lulu

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:45 pm

I am happy to announce that we will be able to admit all waitlist teams for an updated field of 24 teams which is now a cap pending staff. We would always still welcome any extra local staffers to help the tournament run even more efficiently (affiliated or not)– we can pay for your transportation and lunch. Please reach out to me on the boards or the Swarthmore Quizbowl gmail if you're interested.