Spartan Housewrite @ MSU (Jan. 19, 2019)

Old college threads.
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Spartan Housewrite @ MSU (Jan. 19, 2019)

Post by Ciorwrong »

Michigan State’s Academic Competition Club is proud to announce we are hosting a mirror of Spartan Housewrite on January 19th, 2019. This is a set written by some MSU ACC members and others. A link to the main thread for the set is here.

I will be serving as TD of this tournament. To register, email me harrisbunker AT gmail DOT com and email msucbowl AT gmail DOT com.

Payment:
Base Fee: 135 dollars/team
Buzzer Discount: -10 dollars/functional buzzers (this discount will be revoked if your buzzer does not function)
Travel Discount: -10 dollars for every 200 miles traveled to East Lansing, MI as determined by Google Maps
Staffer Discount: -20 dollars for every approved staffer (include the name of staffer in registration email)

Please pay us cash or check out to MSU Academic Competition Club. If your team needs an invoice, please email us before the tournament. Additionally, if you can’t pay the day of please tell us. This will save us some headache.

Logistics: The tournament will start at 8:45 and I’d like teams to all register by 8:30. Details of the format will come after we get a majority of the field registered. This tournament will take place in Berkey Hall. This is right near Grand River and there should be plentiful parking around the building including near the Olin Health Center. Lots of restaurants including Chipotle, Five Guys, Panda Express, etc. are in the area as well.

Initially, there will be a 24 team field cap on attendance. I don’t anticipate needing to expand the field, but this may be possible.

Current Field (#Teams/#Buzzers)
-Kenyon (2/1)
-Wright State (1/1)
-University of Michigan (4/2)
-University of Chicago (3/0)
-University of Toronto (1/1)
-Ohio State (2/2)
-WUSTL (1/3)

I hope to see a lot of collegiate teams in East Lansing in January! This set is supposed to serve as a good indicator for Regionals, so if you are planning on playing Regs, come to East Lansing. We would like to also potentially run some side events after Spartan Housewrite so let us know if you are interested in something like SNICK.
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: Spartan Housewrite @ MSU (Jan. 19, 2019)

Post by Ciorwrong »

A reminder that this event will be taking place next weekend so please sign up ASAP if you haven't already done so. This tournament will now be taking place in Berkey Hall near Grand River.

I will send out more logistic information early next week.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

A logistics email has just been sent out to registered teams. Let me know if you have not received it.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Please confirm attendance ASAP! Several teams have dropped due to a coming snowstorm and I want to make sure this tournament can still happen.

Thanks!
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

So this happened. Chicago A cleared the field at 12-0 to clinch clear first. They played very well so congrats to them. Stats are missing for the last round for some reason in top bracket but this should be shortly. Please email me about any other stats fixes within the next week.

I'd like to thank all the team for coming despite the bad weather and the small field. Huge props to Toronto and WUSTL for coming a far away too. We read 14 rounds before 7 pm which I think is pretty good. There is a discussion forum for the set I'd implore players to join.

Also, I'd like to personally thank all the staffers for putting up with my nonsense. Conor Thompson especially did amazing as he had to come from Ann Arbor to staff 12+ rounds.

EDIT: the two round 14 games are in Neg5. I will have an SQBS version of the stats uploaded sometime this week (potentially after Regs). Again, please email any corrections ASAP.

There is also a private discussion board for this set. Please join it if you are interested in providing feedback or commentary.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired