2019 NAQT SCT: February 9

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2019 NAQT SCT: February 9

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT is pleased to announce the sites for its 2019 Sectional Championship Tournaments, to be held February 9.

Queen's
Harvard
Colgate
Rutgers
Virginia Tech
Auburn
Florida
Michigan
Northwestern
Missouri
Minnesota
Rice
Colorado
UC San Diego
UC Berkeley This site will take place on Sunday, February 10.
Washington This site will take place on Saturday, February 16.

Last updated 2/6; snow --JTH
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Re: 2019 NAQT SCT: February 9 - registration open

Registration is now open.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Could we get some confirmation of exactly which regions are still to be determined that you expect to have sites? I assume Texas is one of them, considering that the closest site to us right now is more than a 12 hour drive away, but some confirmation would be appreciated for planning.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Important Bird Area

Texas is indeed one such region; we also expect to add 1-2 sites in the Upper Midwest and perhaps an additional Mid-Atlantic site.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Does NAQT anticipate the addition of further Midwest sites, and if so, do you have a timeframe for their announcement?
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Important Bird Area

CPiGuy wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:23 am Does NAQT anticipate the addition of further Midwest sites, and if so, do you have a timeframe for their announcement?
We do anticipate at least one more midwest site, but we do not currently have a timeframe for announcing those.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

mjoy
Lulu

Post by mjoy »

Important Bird Area wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:54 pm We do anticipate at least one more midwest site, but we do not currently have a timeframe for announcing those.
Any update?
Michael Joy
Faculty Advisor/"Coach"/Travel Agent
Northern Michigan University Quiz Bowl
Important Bird Area

Not yet; I'll post here when our sites are finalized.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Added our Twin Cities site at the University of Minnesota.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

And one more midwest site at Northwestern.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Having sites at Northwestern and Michigan both strikes me as not the best idea, especially given that Northwestern SCT's Division 1 had 6 teams from 3 schools attend, at least one of which the Michigan site is more convenient for. It's roughly a 4 hour drive between the two, and all the teams that would be best served by a Northwestern site already had one within easy driving distance (Chicago and Northwestern at Michigan, Illinois at Missouri or Michigan, Wisconsin teams at Minnesota, Indiana teams at Michigan). I'm personally skeptical that D1 team density is high enough to support this many sites at above 4-team field sizes, but am willing to be convinced otherwise if NAQT has an especially compelling rationale for Northwestern hosting.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

What teams does NAQT expect to go to Northwestern that aren't served by Minnesota, Missouri, or Michigan?
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Important Bird Area

Last year's field sizes:

Youngstown State: eight Division I teams, ten Division II teams
Northwestern: six Division I teams, eighteen Division II teams
Missouri: three Division I teams, seven Division II teams

(Removing the state-of-Michigan teams from last year's field at Northwestern: five Division I teams, twelve Division II teams.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

A number of schools in those fields already registered to go elsewhere for SCT (Illinois and Purdue, for one).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Cheynem wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:28 pm A number of schools in those fields already registered to go elsewhere for SCT (Illinois and Purdue, for one).
Subtracting MSU and Illinois from last year's Northwestern SCT D1 field leaves just 4 Chicago teams, which doesn't sound like the most optimal field to me.
Jakob M. (they/them)
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

I didn't help at all with (or pay almost any attention to) SCT site selection this year, so I may be way off base here. But thinking about it now, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to have sites at Northwestern and Michigan this year, given what happened last year. Here's my thinking:

On the one hand, I'm pretty sure there is no (Midwestern-ish) location from which a team would need to drive more than 5ish hours to get to Michigan, Mizzou, or Minnesota, and would need to drive fewer than 4.5ish hours to get to Northwestern. (Like, I believe it is mathematically impossible.) So looking only at drive times, once we announced the Michigan/Mizzou/Minnesota sites, I don't see a need to add a site at Northwestern.

On the other hand, last year we had sites at Mizzou, Carleton, Northwestern, and Youngstown. The only changes this year are Carleton -> Minnesota and Youngstown -> Michigan. Nobody complained last year that the fields were too diluted. By my count, if we zapped this year's Northwestern site and split up the teams from last year's field between this year's Minnesota, Mizzou, and Michigan sites based on driving times, we'd expect Mizzou to gain 3 teams, Minnesota to gain 6, and Michigan to gain 15. Let's look more closely at the Michigan site.

Michigan currently has 8 teams signed up that I imagine will stick with the Ann Arbor site. I'm guessing that Purdue's 3 teams currently signed up for Michigan will switch over to Northwestern—and actually, Purdue only had 1 team last year, so if we zap the Northwestern site my estimate is 17 additional teams at Michigan just from zapping. Given that we don't have a site in Youngstown this year, I assume Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon, Case Western, Wright State, Edinboro, and Robert Morris will all shift to Ann Arbor. Ignoring fluctuations in club size, that's another 10 teams. So I would project ~35 teams at Michigan if we zap Northwestern.

And I assigned Northern Michigan (3 teams last year) to Minnesota, but Google Maps says they'd have almost identical driving times to Michigan and thus might choose to go there instead. And perhaps UIUC (3 teams last year) would prefer to drive an extra half hour each way and join the huge field at Michigan, rather than go to Mizzou. And we can't ignore possible fluctuations in club size, or new/additional teams (e.g. perhaps Youngstown will send a team [or multiple teams!] to Michigan, since they're not hosting this year). I assume most clubs will not follow Purdue's lead in tripling the number of teams they send to SCT this year, and probably any fluctuations will mostly cancel out, but I would not feel confident in saying "Michigan will not have 40+ teams' worth of interest if we zap the Northwestern site."

In contrast, I would guess that Northwestern will get ~22 teams, and Michigan will get ~21 (or a bit more). (And ~22 teams will have shorter drives, of course.)

There are a lot of teams playing SCT in this area of the country, which is great. At what point do we say "hey, SCT site X in this team-dense region is projected to get a huge (possibly unmanageable?) field, we should add a second site not too far away and have two good-sized sites"? Obviously this is strongly affected by how many rooms hosts can reserve and (competently) staff--in fact that's probably going to be the determining factor in most cases--but ignoring that for a moment I would have guessed that "site X might break 40 teams; adding site Y is projected to result in ~20 teams apiece at X and at Y" would be a generous benchmark for splitting into two sites (site-okinesis!).
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I don't dispute any of that, and I'm not totally opposed to a large number of SCT sites. I do think that the late announcement of these locations complicates matters entirely though--there's only a couple of weeks until SCT--would some of the schools who already made plans to go farther away have changed their minds if they had known about the Northwestern location?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Cheynem wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:22 pm I don't dispute any of that, and I'm not totally opposed to a large number of SCT sites. I do think that the late announcement of these locations complicates matters entirely though--there's only a couple of weeks until SCT--would some of the schools who already made plans to go farther away have changed their minds if they had known about the Northwestern location?
Sure, I agree that it would be best to have all the sites figured out earlier, but that's not always possible. And I would imagine that some schools already started making plans and may now want to change plans. But there's still plenty of time to alter plans and switch registrations from one site to another, for teams that want to do that—my understanding is that teams have until February 4th to confirm registration, which is 25 days from now. Hotel reservations can presumably be canceled with no charge at this point.

Am I missing something that's going to cause problems for schools that started making plans for Michigan/Minnesota/Mizzou, and now might want to switch to a Northwestern plan?
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

setht wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:57 pm
Cheynem wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:22 pm I don't dispute any of that, and I'm not totally opposed to a large number of SCT sites. I do think that the late announcement of these locations complicates matters entirely though--there's only a couple of weeks until SCT--would some of the schools who already made plans to go farther away have changed their minds if they had known about the Northwestern location?
Am I missing something that's going to cause problems for schools that started making plans for Michigan/Minnesota/Mizzou, and now might want to switch to a Northwestern plan?

I've yet to get a chance to talk to Brad about this one, but the way our student resource funding office works, applications have to be submitted before certain deadlines which are usually 1-1.5 months before the event, so it's likely we won't be switching locations despite the announcement of the Northwestern site.
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
awb3
Lulu

Post by awb3 »

Are there any updates on sites in Texas?
Andrew Barnett
Rice University QuizBowl
[email protected]
915-471-3022
Important Bird Area

The Texas SCT will take place at Rice (which completes our set of sites for 2019).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

setht wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:57 pm Am I missing something that's going to cause problems for schools that started making plans for Michigan/Minnesota/Mizzou, and now might want to switch to a Northwestern plan?
Aside from the issue Bradley raised, many schools (us included) have to submit a budget by the beginning of the semester. We can change ours, but it's a huge pain. Other clubs can't change their budget at all. It's really important to have a tournament of this level of importance announced by the end of December for that reason.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Important Bird Area

Re: 2019 NAQT SCT: February 9 - register now!

Quick reminder that registration for many of our SCT sites closes on Saturday, February 2nd. Teams that have not yet registered for SCT are encouraged to do so in the very near future.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Is there any word on the status of the Brown site? I've heard it was cancelled, but whatever that status is, it would be nice to get word from NAQT on it.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Important Bird Area

The Brown team has informed NAQT that they are unable to reserve rooms for next weekend. We have begun the process of reserving rooms for the New England SCT at Harvard; I expect a formal announcement of the change tomorrow once the Harvard administration formally confirms rooms for Saturday.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: 2019 NAQT SCT: February 9

The new site for the New England SCT has been confirmed: the tournament will take place at Harvard.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The Northwest SCT site at the University of Washington has been postponed until February 16 due to inclement weather.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

I've created a private forum for discussion of the 2019 SCT question set; select "2019 SCT discussion" from your user control panel to request access.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF