Philly Invitational Quizbowl Tournament - Harcum College (PA) - 4/27/19

Old college threads.
alexdz
Rikku

Philly Invitational Quizbowl Tournament - Harcum College (PA) - 4/27/19

Post by alexdz »

I am pleased to announce the Philly Invitational Quizbowl Tournament, an invitational for two-year schools (community colleges). This event is possible thanks to an outreach grant from NAQT to help develop more opportunities for two-year schools in the mid-Atlantic region, where (to my knowledge) there has never been a CCSCT. NAQT has scheduled this tournament to use the IS-184A question set.

The event is scheduled for Saturday, April 27, 2019, and will be held on the campus of Harcum College in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Philadelphia. While this event will be extremely convenient for PA, NJ, and DE teams, any other team representing a two-year school may register as well - teams in MD, NY, VA, and WV may also be close enough to make the trip conveniently.

I'm currently building up the information which I will pass along to help recruit new teams on this Google site. Once the registration form becomes live, teams can sign up on the NAQT website.

In the meantime, please contact me with any questions (alexdzurick / gmail).

-Alex Dzurick
Tournament Director
Adjunct faculty, Harcum College
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
alexdz
Rikku

Re: Philly Invitational Quizbowl Tournament - Harcum College (PA) - 4/27/19

Post by alexdz »

I'm happy to announce that there has been some movement from nearby community colleges who are interested in learning more about forming teams for this event. However, I am still looking for any leads that you think may be fruitful, especially if you know someone personally who attends or works for a community college in the region.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Registration for this event is now live on the NAQT website.

Teams without an active NAQT account can contact either myself or NAQT for more information on how to register.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I just recently sent out another batch of emails and follow-ups to try and recruit more schools to participate in this event. I have a goal in mind of having 6 teams signed up, and while there's another month to go, I'd love to be making more progress toward this goal. If there are any leads you think I should reach out to, please let me know ASAP.

Good news is, there appears to be some interest from a pretty wide geographic range: so far, I've had some nibbles from PA, NJ, and MD schools. I think there's plenty of schools within a reasonable drive that could sustain a healthy circuit up here, and hopefully this is the first step to getting that started!
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

My apologies for the lack of official update on the forum post here, but this tournament was canceled due to lack of registrations. Turns out April 27 is not an ideal weekend for an event when most of the eligible schools in the area end their semesters about a week or two later.

I'm going to see what I can put together in the fall to hopefully get new teams on board and host a CCSCT in the winter of next year. So, I'm still on the lookout for any leads or ideas folks have about getting mid-Atlantic 2-year schools involved in quizbowl.
Alex Dzurick
====
====