ACF Section I Rules Change

Old college threads.
ashwin99
Lulu

ACF Section I Rules Change

Post by ashwin99 »

ACF has made a rule change that the use of identity-based epithets will henceforth be considered severe misconduct instead of minor misconduct.

Here are the exact changes to ACF's gameplay rules (highlighted in red):
Section I. Ethics and Conduct wrote: [...]
4. Minor misconduct consists of any behavior which briefly disrupts the ability for a match to continue smoothly, efficiently, and fairly. The moderator has the authority and discretion to provide a warning to any participant in a match for their first instance of minor misconduct within that match, and may eject any participant from the room for the remainder of the match for a second or later instance of minor misconduct within that match.

A. Examples of minor misconduct include the use of psychological ploys to confuse or misdirect the opposing team or the moderator, the deliberate making of disruptive noise (in ways not governed elsewhere in these rules by prohibitions on conferring), or the use of malicious or disrespectful language toward another participant in the match. , or the use of epithets insulting a participant’s race, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, etc.

[...]

5. Severe misconduct constitutes any behavior which threatens the very fairness and safety required for quizbowl, as an activity and a community, to continue. The tournament director has the authority to eject any participant from the tournament immediately for one instance of severe misconduct, or for a pattern of lesser misconduct over the course of the day. All decisions by the tournament director regarding ejections are final and may not be appealed.

[...]

F. The use of epithets or slurs insulting a participant’s race, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, etc. constitutes severe misconduct.
Please post here if you have any questions about the rule change.
Ashwin Ramaswami
Communications Director, ACF (2018-2019)
Stanford University (2017-2021), Chattahoochee High School (2013-2017)

Try this free mobile app Tycho: Play Quizbowl and Science Bowl to study or read packets while on the go.
jonah
Auron

Re: ACF Section I Rules Change

Post by jonah »

"etc." seems vague. Can it be clarified? (I realize this issue also existed with the previous version, but I didn't know about it.)

In the U.S., at the federal level, there are additional protected classes: color, religion/creed, ancestry, age, disability (physical or mental), veteran status, genetic information, and citizenship. (According to this page, anyway; I'm not a lawyer.) Probably all of those are worth mentioning, even if they're unlikely to come up. Some states have additional protected classes, some of which are already in the ACF list.

Is it deliberate that this only applies to "epithets or slurs" related to such statuses and not other forms of harassment on the basis of such statuses?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
ashwin99
Lulu

Re: ACF Section I Rules Change

Post by ashwin99 »

jonah wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:09 pm "etc." seems vague. Can it be clarified? (I realize this issue also existed with the previous version, but I didn't know about it.)

In the U.S., at the federal level, there are additional protected classes: color, religion/creed, ancestry, age, disability (physical or mental), veteran status, genetic information, and citizenship. (According to this page, anyway; I'm not a lawyer.) Probably all of those are worth mentioning, even if they're unlikely to come up. Some states have additional protected classes, some of which are already in the ACF list.

Is it deliberate that this only applies to "epithets or slurs" related to such statuses and not other forms of harassment on the basis of such statuses?
Yes, "etc." means that the list of identity categories is not intended to be exhaustive. The lists of things that constitute severe misconduct should not be considered exhaustive either, so other forms of behavior that violate the spirit in the first sentence in 5. by "[threatening] the fairness and safety required for quizbowl" would also be included.

You bring up good points about amending the wording to make these ideas more explicit. It's possible we will additionally change the wording; but changes to the letter of the constitution will require a voting process by ACF, so any change would not be immediate. Thanks for bringing this up!
Ashwin Ramaswami
Communications Director, ACF (2018-2019)
Stanford University (2017-2021), Chattahoochee High School (2013-2017)

Try this free mobile app Tycho: Play Quizbowl and Science Bowl to study or read packets while on the go.