PIANO/Minnesota Open @ JHU (3/9/19)

Old college threads.
hexagonman
Lulu

PIANO/Minnesota Open @ JHU (3/9/19)

Post by hexagonman »

Johns Hopkins University is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a mirror of PIANO/Minnesota Open which will be hosted on March 9th, 2019.

The tournament will take place at Johns Hopkins University, located at 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218. Room locations will be in Gilman Hall. A map of campus can be found here: http://cis.jhu.edu/images/campus_map_0907.pdf. Parking is available at the South Garage, at a flat rate of $9 for the day.

Entry Fees and Discounts:
Base Fee: $120 per team
Buzzers: -$5 per each working buzzer system
Staffing: -$15 per competent staffer (limit one per team)
Travel Discount: -$15 per 200 miles traveled (as determined by the distance between schools on Google maps)

Payment must be made on the day of the tournament either by cash or check only. Please make checks out to "Johns Hopkins University."

Question Set:
Information on the set can be found here: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21685

Food:
Pizza will be sold near lunch time, and various restaurants may be found in the vicinity of campus. To see a full list, please visit http://web.jhu.edu/cogsci/visitors/restaurants.html.

Team and Roster Size:
There is a maximum of 6 players on a team; up to four members may play at once. We recommend no more than four members on a team, so that students may play the maximum number of rounds.

To register, please fill out the following form (https://goo.gl/forms/YpPrKpv7n6HJGjfz1) by March 2nd.
Also, if you want to express interest please fill out this spreadsheet, note that this DOES NOT count as registering

Timeline:
Here are some important dates:
March 2nd, 2019: Registration deadline
March 7th, 2019: Roster deadline
March 9th, 2018: Tournament day

Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions
If you have any questions that you want an answer from me, as I will be TDing, from, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

CURRENT FIELD: 13/14 (teams/buzzers/staffers)
Berus-Lie Memorial Academy for Gifted Thinksporters Grue (1/2/0)
WUSTL (1/2/0)
TJ A+ (1/1/1)
UMD (2/0/1)
Delginia (1/2/0)
Tamil Canadu (1/1/0)
olds? (1/0/0)
Chicago (2/0/0)
The Penn writes; and, having writ, Moves on (1/1/0)
Gettysburg (1/1/0)
The Art of Losing Isn't Hard to Master (1/0/0)
Last edited by hexagonman on Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Leland Held
President of JHU Quiz Bowl
Johns Hopkins '22
Mnemosyne
Wakka

Re: PIANO/Minnesota Open @ JHU (3/9/19)

Post by Mnemosyne »

Will there be side events (such as Guerrilla History, Eyes that Do Not See) at this tournament? I see people referencing "Guerrilla History at JHU", but I haven't seen anyone from Hopkins confirm this is happening.
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia
hexagonman
Lulu

Post by hexagonman »

Mnemosyne wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:04 pm Will there be side events (such as Guerrilla History, Eyes that Do Not See) at this tournament? I see people referencing "Guerrilla History at JHU", but I haven't seen anyone from Hopkins confirm this is happening.
Once we get a better sense of the field, we will determine whether there is enough interest in the field to run side events.
Leland Held
Johns Hopkins '22
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I'm playing this and am looking for teammates. I will probably score some points, but I can't make any guarantees as to what categories they'll come in.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Chiming in to say JHU has given me permission to organize a mirror of the Guerilla History event after. Submission is optional, but I highly encourage you to do so - it saves you $10 and we need packets to make the event happen. Plus, the questions are six lines each, so you can bust out some wackier ideas.

Sign up and indicate who you're playing with on the JHU tab of this sheet. For now we'll plan to do doubles. Don't reveal your packets to anyone, even your planned teammates!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

When will Guerilla History (or other side events, for that matter) be taking place?
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Might we also be able to run SHAWARMA II on Sunday?
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
hexagonman
Lulu

Post by hexagonman »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm Might we also be able to run SHAWARMA II on Sunday?
Probably not, getting staffers might be an issue, but if there's significant interest we'll consider it more.
Last edited by hexagonman on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leland Held
Johns Hopkins '22
hexagonman
Lulu

Post by hexagonman »

wcheng wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:52 am When will Guerilla History (or other side events, for that matter) be taking place?
After the regular tournament, Guerilla History will take place on the same day
Leland Held
Johns Hopkins '22
hexagonman
Lulu

Post by hexagonman »

https://goo.gl/forms/rLwwyLmfAwy56zdM2

A poll for SHAWARMA II Interest
Leland Held
Johns Hopkins '22
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm Might we also be able to run SHAWARMA II on Sunday?
Canadians in attendance would also like Eyes That Do Not See, if that's still being considered.
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
hexagonman
Lulu

Post by hexagonman »

We have now reached 12/12 teams, and further teams that register will be waitlisted, with a potential for a field expansion
Leland Held
Johns Hopkins '22
hexagonman
Lulu

Post by hexagonman »

After a grand total of 0 responses to the SHAWARMA II poll, we will not run that event.
Leland Held
Johns Hopkins '22
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

hexagonman wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:42 pm After a grand total of 0 responses to the SHAWARMA II poll, we will not run that event.
What poll was this?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Charbroil wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:59 pm
hexagonman wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:42 pm After a grand total of 0 responses to the SHAWARMA II poll, we will not run that event.
What poll was this?
Like Charles, I am also bewildered by this.

Scrolling up through this thread now, I see a poll link. But that poll link was certainly not visible when I checked this thread on February 18th, and the "first unread post" function has skipped it since then, so this is the first time I'm seeing it.

I'm also pretty confused by the claim that there won't be enough staffers. Doesn't SHAWARMA require only one person to moderate?

If I'm actually one of only two people interested in playing it, I'm obviously not going to keep pushing for this, but it's unclear to me that people knew about the existence of this poll.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If this doesn't happen at JHU, I'd be happy to play John (or anyone) at ICT and check them all into the Smackdown Hotel at Know Your Role Boulevard.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

I, in the OSU Mirror Thread wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:38 am Is the Chicago B registered [at the OSU site] the same Chicago B that's playing this at Hopkins two weeks prior, did Chicago drop their second team from the Hopkins mirror and that post just hasn't been updated, is the second Chicago team at Hopkins actually Chicago C, is "Chicago B" [at OSU] a questionable open team name, or is some other alternative the case?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

Post by Emperor Pupienus »

If any teams at this site have room for a washed up history player, or if there are still free agents out there who want to form a team, I'd still like to play this! Feel free to PM me.
Jason Z.
Nichols School '14
University of Chicago '18

Food or not food?
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: Guerilla history - since this tournament is going to be a bit ad-hoc after the event, and since it's packet submission and will necessarily have byes, I'm hoping to run it on a model of "staff on your bye round." With a doubles setup, this should allow us to run the event with a couple of dedicated readers and possibly a stats person. If we expand to triples, then this gets even easier, though I'd like to fill out the field first before allowing larger teams.

Ideally I'd like to have a field of six teams since assuming all the promised submissions get in, it looks like we'll have enough packets to accommodate round robin for either 5 rounds + up to two finals games. We could potentially do up to 8 teams if more packets pour in.

In all cases, it's easier for the editors if we all figure out teams sooner, so let's do that if possible. Thanks!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
hexagonman
Lulu

Post by hexagonman »

We have expanded the field to 14 teams, today is the last day to register
Leland Held
Johns Hopkins '22
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: Guerilla History

So, since we have a total of 7 packets and some of these are submissions, it looks like the easiest way to do this tournament is going to be to just ignore a finals and play 7 straight games, with the team that's on bye staffing. If there's a tie for first place, oh well, I guess there will be a rock-paper-scissors match or something, or we can just not care or resolve it some other way. I'm willing to give that up in exchange for more games, unless people would rather have fewer games - but since it's 30 short tossups per packet, I'm imagining this will go pretty quickly.

I've assigned all the free agents to teams, so every team should have at least two players now.

EDIT - this is no longer valid, we're doing a different format. Please see the spreadsheet for our new format. We need a tenth team to round out the field, though!
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Why is the history side event being run in the evening if there are no planned side events for Sunday*? I imagine we will all be rather tired after a long day of quizbowl, and running it in the morning seems somewhat better for everyone involved, unless there are extenuating circumstances that I'm unaware of.

*This is also an unfortunate situation, and I would be happy to work with anyone who wants to cobble together a mirror of something on Sunday in the next two days, with the permission of our hosts. The staffer concerns are, of course, important, but I would certainly be willing to read for (e.g.) a mirror of the film set and I imagine several other players would be as well.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Personally I'd rather not have to drive another hour and thirty minutes to two hours (counting both ways) on Sunday, especially after presumably getting back late from Saturday's tournament, and I don't know if the other attending teams have booked accommodations for Saturday evening.

Unrelated, if Chicago people are playing this, then the schedule is going to need to be re-jiggered, which I'm fine with - but put your names on the site-specific signup sheet please :) I think with Ben/Jason in the field and a Conor/Connor free agent team we can do two five-team prelim brackets followed by a cross-bracket game, with a spare packet available to break ties - though we'll need a tenth team to make this work (maybe some more Chicago people are interested in playing). There should be three players on bye each round, so we'll have enough staff to run things.

EDIT: We will need extra staff for the crossover game, if you're available that would be fantastic
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

I've already made weekend plans for Sunday under the assumption that there are no side events, and in any case I can't really play Sunday side events since I have to fly out on Sunday evening. Since the guerilla history has long been announced for Saturday evening, it would seem rather arbitrary to move it two days before the tournament.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
Wakka

Post by Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock »

It's very short notice, but the fourth member of our team dropped, so if anyone doesn't have a team yet and wants to play, you're more than welcome to join me, Danny, and Conor Thompson tomorrow.
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19, West Virginia '21
National Park Service

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

FYI to future tournament directors, if you are replacing a physics tossup, use a physics tossup.

If you don’t have a physics tossup, use some other science tossup.

If you don’t have some other science tossup, apologize to the teams and yell at the editors before sending some other question.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Courtesy of Matt:
ACF rule C.15 wrote:Teams may not object to the specific replacement question which gets read unless it is an exact repeat (See C.13). (In particular, players have no basis for expecting that a replacement question be from the same category as a question which was thrown out, or for expecting that the match conform to a guaranteed “distribution” of categories after all necessary replacements are taken into account.)
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

vinteuil wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:39 pm Courtesy of Matt:
ACF rule C.15 wrote:Teams may not object to the specific replacement question which gets read unless it is an exact repeat (See C.13). (In particular, players have no basis for expecting that a replacement question be from the same category as a question which was thrown out, or for expecting that the match conform to a guaranteed “distribution” of categories after all necessary replacements are taken into account.)
Congratulations, you lawyered me.

Still this is incredibly bad practice.

And also against the spirit of the game.

And easily avoidable.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

It would be nice to be able to do this, but there is no guarantee that it is possible. The rules are constructed in such a way that this is allowable for that reason. I would personally prefer to replace from the same category / big category, but I don't know that it was necessarily "avoidable" here (nor against the spirit of the game, for that matter).

(And for the reason that ever greater degrees of specificity can come into play that teams may feel wronged by. You replaced a South American literature question with African literature, etc.)
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

I hope people enjoyed playing the set! There's a discussion forum up now—request access under User Control Panel→Usergroups.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
hexagonman
Lulu

Post by hexagonman »

The tournament has ended, and I would like to congratulate Chicago A on winning the tournament, taking the first game against More Ravioli in an Advantaged Final. I would also like to acknowledge TJ A+, who had a strong performance, coming in third place.

The field was extremely strong, so my applause to all teams for playing well today!

Stats are available here: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/55 ... all_games/ and feel free to e-mail me with any questions.
Leland Held
Johns Hopkins '22
Justice William Brennan
Lulu

Post by Justice William Brennan »

For all the people who stayed after and played Guerrilla History, thanks for playing the set, I hope you had a good time! If you didn't submit a packet and didn't get a chance to pay me last night, you can Venmo me the $10 entry fee @nitinsr99.
Nitin Rao
Langley '17
Penn '21
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Because there were 14 teams for 15 packets, our team was denied the chance to play for a place in the final (we were x-2 along with Kim et al). Ideally this kind of thing would not happen.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Sima Guang Hater wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 am Because there were 14 teams for 15 packets, our team was denied the chance to play for a place in the final (we were x-2 along with Kim et al). Ideally this kind of thing would not happen.
Statistical tiebreakers seem fine to me in this scenario, especially since the tiebreaker would be PPG. A whole-field round-robin is the best format for 13 & 14 teams, and bracketed formats tend to be suboptimal. Conventional bracketed prelims are impossible for 13 teams (the number of teams in the stats) if you need a minimum of 10 games. I also think it's a good thing for the whole field to play at hard opens, where that's possible.

I think JHU chose the best format here.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.