Scattergories 3 at Chicago Open (08/04/2019)

Old college threads.
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Scattergories 3 at Chicago Open (08/04/2019)

Post by Aaron's Rod »

I am pleased to announce the "Chicago" Open mirror of Scattergories 3 on Sunday afternoon, August 4, 2019. Much like Chicago Open itself, this will be at Northwestern University. Will Nediger can't make it, so you're all stuck with me instead. There will be whimsy, and there will be humanities, and there will be France.

DAY-OF UPDATE: SEE https://tinyurl.com/scattergories3. Please be in your game rooms at 2:15!

Payment
This will be running on Sunday of CO and will cost $10 per person to play, on teams of 4. You can pay me by cash or Venmo (or check, I guess, but make sure you know what my name is).

Logistics
EDIT 07/29/2019: The field is now closed. The format will be 7 RR/7 RR into playoff brackets of 4 RR/4 RR/3x3 crossovers. Ties will stand.

You can form your teams via this spreadsheet, but once you have a team please email me with "Scattergories" in the subject line to actually register. Teams and free agents alike should make sure to include your email. If there are still free agents about a week before the tournament, I reserve the right to assign you to teams as I see fit. I'd love for this to not be the first event of the day on Sunday, because of reasons, although that shouldn't be the top scheduling priority. EDIT: This will not be the first event of the day on Sunday, Age of Empires will be.

Because this tournament is so inexpensive, there will not be a buzzer discount, but please be philanthropic and bring a buzzer if at all possible.

We are putting together a catering order for Age of Empires and Scattergories participants. Please fill out this form by 12 PM CDT on Thursday, August 1st if you're interested.

Staff
Are you a science or history player with a working laptop? Let's be friends. Please also sign up on the spreadsheet. I imagine that lunch will be coordinated with the other organizer(s) of the other side event(s), who will also want to feed their staff.

I am particularly looking for someone to do stats. SQBS and I don't really agree. On top of lunch, I can also bring a stats person some sort of Chicago or Greek delicacy, of either the homemade baked good or incapacitating variety. (I made baklava for 2018 Penn A, so if you need a review, you can ask them.) EDIT: I have found a taker, you rock.

Since Will won't be there, I am also particularly looking for people who can bring some sort of recording equipment, either audio or audiovisual. If you are playing and could record games as well, I'm sure he'd appreciate it!

Looking forward to seeing you in Evanston this summer!
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Scattergories 3 at Chicago Open (08/04/2019)

Post by Mike Bentley »

Looking for teammates for this, especially people who know things I don't like poetry, philosophy, music and film.

Oh, and I can record matches.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

By the way, has it been announced yet when on Sunday this will happen? If not, my preference is for it to be the first event on Sunday.
Mike Bentley
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Looking for teammates in this, especially people who know things I don't like such as fiction, poetry, painting, sculpture, the auditory arts, philosophy, and social science.

*One of my teammates is now the Great Duck, Daniel Hothem.
Last edited by Cheynem on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Mike Bentley wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:01 pm By the way, has it been announced yet when on Sunday this will happen? If not, my preference is for it to be the first event on Sunday.
I do not believe that we have figured out time slots on Sunday. I've asked Chris to update the CO announcement post to mention which side events have been approved. When I know that, I assume the other side event person(s) and Chris and I will coordinate to determine the optimal schedule, and I'll keep the OP updated. I don't mind people giving their preferences; in fact, if you're a free agent, it may be wise to put any time restrictions on the spreadsheet.
Alex D.
ACF

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Cheynem wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:01 pm Looking for teammates in this, especially people who know things I don't like such as fiction, poetry, painting, sculpture, the auditory arts, philosophy, and social science.
Much like TNT, Mike Cheyne knows drama.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Just like Franklin and Bash.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Very Funny, guys. I'm also looking for teammates; these tournaments are great.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Will happily sit through this tournament, get mediocre buzzes and try my best to not neg stupidly, if you'll have me
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

also me wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:29 pm Will happily sit through this tournament, get mediocre buzzes and try my best to not neg stupidly, if you'll have me
Except I'll probably also neg stupidly
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Aaron's Rod wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:51 am I'd love for this to not be the first event of the day on Sunday, because of reasons, although that shouldn't be the top scheduling priority.
Will Alston has graciously agreed to put Age of Empires on Sunday morning, so this will be after that.
Alex D.
ACF

Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Seeking teammates. You could get me at my Scattergories 1 (pretty good), or you could get me at my Scattergories 2 (terrible). But I'm fun and whimsical!
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Aaron's Rod wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:51 am but once you have a team please email me with "Scattergories" in the subject line to actually register.
Please do this, if you have not already!

There are 10 packets and will be around 14 teams, which makes scheduling tricky. I'm open to commentary on the schedule, depending on peoples' preferences. Would teams agree to let ties stand? If so, for 14 teams we could play 7/7 prelims with crossovers for 7 rounds, and then the top 2 teams from each pool would play a round robin, the middle 2 teams from each pool would do the same, and the bottom 3 would play crossovers. This would give us 10 games in 10 rounds, but no opportunity to break ties. I would like to hear from some teams about whether this would be okay, or whether they'd rather we devise an alternate format to leave an extra packet, which would almost definitely include byes. (Suggestions welcome!)
Aaron's Rod wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:51 am Staff
Are you a science or history player with a working laptop? Let's be friends. Please also sign up on the spreadsheet.
As we currently have 7 staffers (including stats), the field is currently capped at 15 teams, which we have a decent chance of hitting. I would very much love more staffers so our stats person could be dedicated to stats instead of pulling double-duty, to keep things moving smoothly and quickly. If you'll be around, please sign up! Although it wouldn't allow us to expand the field, even someone who can only stay for a few rounds is better than nothing, so Jacob can take over when you leave. So if you have to catch a flight or something, you can still put yourself down on the sheet, just note your limitations.
Aaron's Rod wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:51 am If there are still free agents about a week before the tournament, I reserve the right to assign you to teams as I see fit.
Free agents, of which there currently 9, should note that we're coming down to about that time. If you are no longer able to attend, please remove your name from the spreadsheet.
Alex D.
ACF

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I want the fewest byes and the most games. I'm willing to let ties stand.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Works for me, too.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Having contacted a few more teams privately and heard no objections, the format will indeed be 7 RR/7 RR into 4 RR/4 RR/3x3 crossovers. Blessed Be The Tie That Binds.

The field is now closed.
Alex D.
ACF

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I've been to a couple of tournaments recently where a side event started later than needed because the TDs announced a time for people to be there later than was necessary. Can this tournament have a policy that it will start as early as possible with respect to Age of Empires ending (and a presumed lunch break)? I think the burden should be on people not playing the earlier tournament to make sure they're where they need to be early rather than holding everyone else up.

Edit: To clarify, what I want to avoid is the TDs saying ahead of time "we hope to start this at 2 PM," the tournament being ready to start at 1 PM, and us having to wait until 2 PM because people not at Age of Empires took that 2 PM announced time as gospel.
Mike Bentley
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:29 pm In the interest of keeping things moving smoothly this weekend, please fill out this lunch order form if you're attending the tournament and want to have tacos. The goal is to keep lunch as short as reasonable so we can move on to Scattergories quickly and make sure people aren't missing flights. Please fill out the form by 12PM CDT tomorrow.
Cross-posting from the other thread--please fill out this lunch order form ASAP to get in on a lunch order! For $10, you'll get 3 tacos of the same kind. The food is scheduled to arrive at Kresge at 12:30 PM on Sunday.
Mike Bentley wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:44 am I've been to a couple of tournaments recently where a side event started later than needed because the TDs announced a time for people to be there later than was necessary. Can this tournament have a policy that it will start as early as possible with respect to Age of Empires ending (and a presumed lunch break)? I think the burden should be on people not playing the earlier tournament to make sure they're where they need to be early rather than holding everyone else up.

Edit: To clarify, what I want to avoid is the TDs saying ahead of time "we hope to start this at 2 PM," the tournament being ready to start at 1 PM, and us having to wait until 2 PM because people not at Age of Empires took that 2 PM announced time as gospel.
Sure! I see what you mean. This tournament will start 45 minutes after the last round of Age of Empires ends. We think that will be about 1:15 PM, but we can't be sure, and if AoE wraps up early and that ends up being 1, so be it. I will communicate with one person on each team via email, and expect them to forward the details to their teammates. I hope to also keep this thread updated with the latest and greatest, but the person whose email is on the spreadsheet is responsible for forwarding information to their teams.
Alex D.
ACF

MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

It looks like all the teams are full; I would still like to play this tournament so if anyone happens to drop out please let me know
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Schedules are at https://tinyurl.com/scattergories3. The tacos are in 2415, which is also where we'll be for rebracketing. Please pay! $10 for the tournament, $10 for tacos, which are pre-order only.
Alex D.
ACF

Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

2:15 in your game rooms, please!
Alex D.
ACF

Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Stats for Scattergories 3 are now up. Despite taking two losses in the prelims to teams that did not make the top bracket, Du mußt dein Negging ändern (Jordan Brownstein, Will Alston, Rahul Keyal, JinAh Kim) made the top pool and swept the playoffs to finish the tournament 8-2. In the last round of the playoff round-robin, they beat the top seed from the other bracket, The Thought-Thot Merger (Halle Friedman, Matt Bollinger, Tim Morrison, Clark Smith), which had by then been depleted to Halle and Clark, 145-85.

Après-moi le floodge (after me, the floodge) (Mike Bentley, Tamara Vardomskaya, John Lawrence, Andrew Hart) also went 8-2, with one prelims loss to a non-top-bracket team, and one playoffs loss to Negging.

Thank you so much to my tireless, fearless, intrepid staffers: Jacob O'Rourke, Zach Foster, Ashvin Srivasta, Ryan Humphrey, Niki Peters, Eric Mukherjee, Jaimie Carlson, Matt Mitchell, Adam Silverman, and especially Thalia Noegroho for stats.
Alex D.
ACF