Announcement - All the Lit We Cannot See (Winter 2019)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
ivanilyich
Kimahri

Announcement - All the Lit We Cannot See (Winter 2019)

Post by ivanilyich » Sun May 05, 2019 5:17 am

This is a preliminary announcement for All the Lit We Cannot See, an open literature tournament to be completed by winter 2019. The questions are currently being written by me, with writing and editing being contributed by Alex Hardwick; further editors will be found/consulted when the main body of the tournament is drafted, but we're both fairly new at this so want to find out who to seek out. [I'm graduating in June and am planning to work on this tournament pretty intensively over the summer.]

Most content in this tournament will be either well-known / well-studied texts within Anglo-American college curricula which have been so far underrepresented in quizbowl, or important texts which are underrepresented in Anglo-American college curricula. The tournament will have gender parity (there will be as many tossups focused primarily on women as there are tossups focused primarily on men), and it will substantially represent authors of colour and LGBT+ authors. It will also have a slant towards contemporary literature - I'm a contemporary literature student and find the period to be generally underrepresented in quizbowl - but will cover a range of periods.

The set will consist of ten packets of 20 powermarked tossups (no bonuses) with this distribution:

10 Prose Fiction Pre-1700
10 Prose Fiction 1700-1850
10 Prose Fiction 1850-1950
20 Prose Fiction 1950-Present
10 ‘Non-Academic’ Prose Fiction (this covers sci-fi, YA, graphic novels, historical fiction and fantasy)
10 Poetry Pre-1700
10 Poetry 1700-1850
10 Poetry 1850-1950
20 Poetry 1950-Present
10 Drama Pre-1850
10 Drama 1850-1950
10 Drama 1950-Present
20 Essays, Articles, Criticism
20 Misc (e.g. tossups on events in the literary world, CLs which cross genres, works which don’t neatly fall into the previous categories, etc)
10 Creative Media (this includes music lyrics, films/TV/video games/other creative media substantially connected to literature, etc)
10 Non-Literary Text (this includes tossups on forms involving written text which are not typically designated as 'literature' - think, for instance, Tweets).

The prose, poetry and drama distros will also be distributed by location: roughly 2.5 Brit / 3 Anglo / 2.5 Euro / 2 World.

The questions are 8 lines in 11pt Garamond, and the difficulty is currently around Nats level, with some variation (some more like Nats-minus, a minority at CO level). It's difficult to exactly gauge the tournament difficulty, because there are authors and books in there which have never been tossed up before, but that doesn't mean that people won't have read them - particularly if they're eminent contemporary authors with a presence in popular bookstores. The tossups will not be as dense as Nats tossups, partly because they're shorter, and partly because I'm not incorporating as much literary criticism into tossups as Nats does (with the exception of the dedicated Essays/Criticism tossups).

The Creative Media and Non-Literary Text distributions are there to give a bit of relief from the lack of subject variation, but also to extend and challenge what we consider to be the boundaries of 'literature.'

I'm excited about this, but I'm also relatively new to writing quiz questions on this scale, so if anyone has any advice - or any suggestions for who to contact for possible help with editing - that would be much appreciated.
Last edited by ivanilyich on Mon May 06, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dani Cugini
BA English, Emmanuel College, Cambridge '18
MSt English (1900-Present), St. John's College, Oxford '19

heterodyne
Rikku

Re: Announcement - All the Lit We Cannot See (Winter 2019)

Post by heterodyne » Sun May 05, 2019 2:00 pm

I am quite excited for this tournament's existence, and would be happy to either contribute to its completion or play it.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
he/him/his or they/them/their

Fuddle Duddle
Memerator

Post by Fuddle Duddle » Sun May 05, 2019 2:04 pm

This sounds cool. I'm very much looking forward to playing it!
Jakob Myers
MSU '21, Naperville North (IL) '17
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Member, PACE

connor.mayers
Lulu

Post by connor.mayers » Sun May 05, 2019 2:05 pm

Great to see a tournament with increased contemporary lit content. Highly looking forward to this!
Connor Mayers
Penn Manor '20
I write hip hop things

justinfrench1728
Lulu

Post by justinfrench1728 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:42 pm

ivanilyich wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:17 am
2.5 Brit / 3 Anglo / 2.5 Euro / 2 World.
what is anglo?
Justin French
UCLA

Mike Bentley
Auron

Post by Mike Bentley » Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm

What's the thinking behind giving poetry since 1950 the same space as long fiction since 1950? My guess is that there's 100x an audience for long fiction than poetry written in this period.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

ivanilyich
Kimahri

Post by ivanilyich » Sun May 05, 2019 5:40 pm

justinfrench1728 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:42 pm
ivanilyich wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:17 am
2.5 Brit / 3 Anglo / 2.5 Euro / 2 World.
what is anglo?
Literature from Anglophone countries - in practice, this will be mostly American, with some Canadian, Australian, Irish, etc. Anglophone non-Western countries will generally go in World.
Dani Cugini

ivanilyich
Kimahri

Post by ivanilyich » Sun May 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Mike Bentley wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm
What's the thinking behind giving poetry since 1950 the same space as long fiction since 1950? My guess is that there's 100x an audience for long fiction than poetry written in this period.
That’s part of the reason for it - I’m focusing on underrepresented content, and contemporary poetry is very underrepresented in quizbowl (Anne Carson has literally started getting dedicated tossups at hard levels only this year, and she’s been a Thing since the early ‘00s at least). I’m essentially intending for the extra contemporary long fiction and the extra contemporary poetry to fill different roles; the extra contemporary fiction rewards a layman’s interest in the modern book scene; the extra contemporary poetry rewards a more academically informed sense of the current literary scene. 1950-present is also a workably long period. But I’m open to adjusting those distros (I’ve not written most of the contemporary poetry tossups yet).
Dani Cugini

justinfrench1728
Lulu

Post by justinfrench1728 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:38 pm

fwiw i'm excited for a large amount of postmodern/contemporary poetry and I don't think the current quantity would require cuts too much deeper than what one would expect for this sort of tournament
Justin French
UCLA

Banana Stand
Wakka

Post by Banana Stand » Mon May 06, 2019 6:33 am

This seems like a fun tournament! Very interested in either writing or playing.

(Autobiography of Red was tossed up at CO 2016, btw)
Jack Mehr
St. Joe's NJ '14
UVA '19