Side bets at ICT and ACF Nats

Old college threads.
minusfive
Rikku

Side bets at ICT and ACF Nats

Post by minusfive »

Occasionally, I will see people posting pictures of themselves holding up dollar bills after these events, emblematic that they have won some sort of contest on something like a) an answer line coming up b) an answer line not coming up c) a particular performance d) Jordan Palmer looking particularly handsome that day.*

Without turning this into a forum for very-small-time gambling and thus probably violating RICO or whatever it's called#, I was wondering if there have been any differences of opinion already noted, and would encourage other prognostications and counter-prognostications.

I will take all comers who wish to dispute the inevitability of a stupid predictions thread popping up, but do note, I could just start that thread myself.

*Not a legitimate bet, you can't bet on a 100% sure thing.
#That is exactly what it's called.
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: Side bets at ICT and ACF Nats

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Speaking only for myself, I don't like betting real money (even a very small amount) on contests where I or the other person could affect the outcome. I like when other people also don't like betting real money on contests that they themselves are taking part in. That said, it's really not a big deal -- I trust that it's all for fun, and nobody is earnestly throwing a match they raised hundreds of dollars to compete in just to win a dollar.

I think many of these alleged pictures (though I've only ever seen one?) are more about something team-internal like an advisor/captain saying "If you beat [Top Physics Player] to a physics tossup, I'll pay for your soda," which is obviously 100 percent fine.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

don't bet on quiz bowl
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:don't bet on quiz bowl
Fred makes a good point; I still haven't seen my winnings from the NU 2012 ICT finals match betting pool. I don't think I ever will.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

As someone who has won bets at practice (off degenerate gambler Mike Sorice) and on a live packet (woo Starcade knowledge), the most people should bet is like a meal.

People have done prognostication pools on here (top bracket finishers, UG titles, etc), but no money was involved.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I'm pretty sure I once saw people betting on the number of times I would mention Hungary in a side event tournament I wrote. "Over" won.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Matthew Jackson wrote: I think many of these alleged pictures (though I've only ever seen one?) are more about something team-internal like an advisor/captain saying "If you beat [Top Physics Player] to a physics tossup, I'll pay for your soda," which is obviously 100 percent fine.
I've seen two, and the prize have both been dollar bills for beating superstars to their topic.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Coldblueberry
Lulu

Post by Coldblueberry »

What's wrong with betting on matches in tournaments that you're not participating in?
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Coldblueberry wrote:What's wrong with betting on matches in tournaments that you're not participating in?
I guess only that it may be illegal, along with everything else that is fun, such as pronouncing Arkansas incorrectly.

But I would argue there isn't any problem on "betting" (the legal kind) when you're in the tournament, as long as you're not betting on yourself to lose (like, "I bet I can't get 20 negs in a game!"). Peter Rose does not play quizbowl.

Example of awesome: I gave McGill's Derek So a really cool book on what-ifs in American History as a prize a couple years back (we gave out double-prizes if a player won a scoring-prize and was on the winning team at that time). I would love to compete to try to win it back.

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

minusfive wrote:
Coldblueberry wrote:But I would argue there isn't any problem on "betting" (the legal kind) when you're in the tournament, as long as you're not betting on yourself to lose (like, "I bet I can't get 20 negs in a game!").
Something not unlike this actually happened at one point in a game against Brown when I was there, although without the betting. I can't remember who exactly was doing this, but it was maybe at Penn Bowl; regardless, the team we were playing decided they were going to neg every single tossup, literally announcing their intention to do so at the start of the match. It was incredibly obnoxious to play a team doing that.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

grapesmoker wrote:Something not unlike this actually happened at one point in a game against Brown when I was there, although without the betting. I can't remember who exactly was doing this, but it was maybe at Penn Bowl; regardless, the team we were playing decided they were going to neg every single tossup, literally announcing their intention to do so at the start of the match. It was incredibly obnoxious to play a team doing that.
...Do these people not realise that they are paying money in order to be annoying asses?
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

odin_envy_me wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:Something not unlike this actually happened at one point in a game against Brown when I was there, although without the betting. I can't remember who exactly was doing this, but it was maybe at Penn Bowl; regardless, the team we were playing decided they were going to neg every single tossup, literally announcing their intention to do so at the start of the match. It was incredibly obnoxious to play a team doing that.
...Do these people not realise that they are paying money in order to be annoying asses?
They were appropriately reprimanded but I didn't take the time to solicit their input regarding what they did or did not realize.
Jerry Vinokurov
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

grapesmoker wrote:I can't remember who exactly was doing this, but it was maybe at Penn Bowl
Dan Leifer at TIT. I remember because I was taking the MCAT that weekend
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:I can't remember who exactly was doing this, but it was maybe at Penn Bowl
Dan Leifer at TIT. I remember because I was taking the MCAT that weekend
Sounds about right.
Jerry Vinokurov
Nabonidus
Wakka

Post by Nabonidus »

minusfive wrote:
Coldblueberry wrote:Example of awesome: I gave McGill's Derek So a really cool book on what-ifs in American History as a prize a couple years back (we gave out double-prizes if a player won a scoring-prize and was on the winning team at that time). I would love to compete to try to win it back.
I actually have no memory of this, and (as evidence) McGill's play certainly doesn't suggest that any of us have ever read a book on American history.

Are you sure that event wasn't itself part of an alternate timeline?
Derek So
McGill
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Nabonidus wrote:Are you sure that event wasn't itself part of an alternate timeline?
The darkest timeline.

Maybe Sam?

Nabonidus
Wakka

Post by Nabonidus »

Sam said doesn't have it either. But if you're still looking for it, I think we can deduce from your first two guesses that the current owner is devilishly handsome.
Derek So
McGill
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Nabonidus wrote:I think we can deduce from your first two guesses that the current owner is devilishly handsome.
No, I'm pretty sure Peter Estall doesn't have it either.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20