VCU Open ‘15: Errata

Old college threads.
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

VCU Open ‘15: Errata

Post by Cody »

You may post errata here that we'll fix for future mirrors.

Things I noticed that need to be fixed:
  • continuity equations is mentioned early in the tournament on a bonus and then is an answer; not a problem per se but is an easy fix.
  • in PLOT columns, porous got autocorrected to optimus.
  • Legendre polynomials TU can be interpreted as on spherical harmonics by players
  • "huo yao" should be acceptable for gunpowder
Last edited by Cody on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: VCU Open ‘15: Errata

Post by grapesmoker »

I don't know if this is "errata" per se but I think that you should accept "spherical harmonics" on a very early buzz in that tossup on Legendre polynomials. I buzzed almost immediately after hearing that you could expand the Wigner d-matrix in terms of these things and was confused by the neg.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Cody

Post by Cody »

grapesmoker wrote:I don't know if this is "errata" per se but I think that you should accept "spherical harmonics" on a very early buzz in that tossup on Legendre polynomials. I buzzed almost immediately after hearing that you could expand the Wigner d-matrix in terms of these things and was confused by the neg.
The clue reads "The Wigner D-matrix can only be written in terms of these functions when both indices are zero.", which is only true of the Legendre polynomials; I'm open to the idea that some prompting and/or emphasis needs to be included in the tossup to make it more clear.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

I really loved that the "Flipped classroom" method came up. However, I'm not sure why "flipped classroom" wasn't acceptable. I spent the better part of two years working in schools beginning to implement this model and never really heard it referred to as anything but the "flipped classroom." I think pedagogical theory and methodology is something meriting more attention in the Psych/Philosophy/"Thought" distribution and I'm glad to see it was used here.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Cody

Post by Cody »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:I really loved that the "Flipped classroom" method came up. However, I'm not sure why "flipped classroom" wasn't acceptable. I spent the better part of two years working in schools beginning to implement this model and never really heard it referred to as anything but the "flipped classroom." I think pedagogical theory and methodology is something meriting more attention in the Psych/Philosophy/"Thought" distribution and I'm glad to see it was used here.
I am not sure what happened, but that should've been acceptable. The answerline was:
ANSWER: flipped classroom [or: backwards classroom, inverted classroom, Thayer method; prompt on:reverse teaching”]
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:I really loved that the "Flipped classroom" method came up. However, I'm not sure why "flipped classroom" wasn't acceptable. I spent the better part of two years working in schools beginning to implement this model and never really heard it referred to as anything but the "flipped classroom." I think pedagogical theory and methodology is something meriting more attention in the Psych/Philosophy/"Thought" distribution and I'm glad to see it was used here.
I forgot how this exactly played out when I was staffing (except that your team definitely 30d this), but I think I prompted you on something else (probably "reverse teaching") until you said "inverted classroom."
Last edited by Wynaut on Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

"Flipped classroom" was the main part of the answerline, so if it wasn't accepted, it must have been due to moderator error.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Wynaut wrote:
I forgot how this exactly played out when I was staffing (except that your team definitely 30d this), but I think I prompted you on something else (probably "reverse teaching") until you said "inverted classroom."
It's quite possible I'm misremembering what I said; we figured it out; no harm no foul. Just wanted to make sure the answerline was complete enough.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

Also, the tossup on FIFA described Sepp Blatter as "a former head," but, as a team at the Michigan site pointed out, unfortunately for fans everywhere, he's still the president of FIFA.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Cody wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:I don't know if this is "errata" per se but I think that you should accept "spherical harmonics" on a very early buzz in that tossup on Legendre polynomials. I buzzed almost immediately after hearing that you could expand the Wigner d-matrix in terms of these things and was confused by the neg.
The clue reads "The Wigner D-matrix can only be written in terms of these functions when both indices are zero.", which is only true of the Legendre polynomials; I'm open to the idea that some prompting and/or emphasis needs to be included in the tossup to make it more clear.
Right. I buzzed on "these functions" so I didn't hear the rest and wasn't fast enough to process what "only" was supposed to mean here. I'm not saying the question is wrong, I'm just saying that it would be nice to somehow phrase it a bit more clearly to eliminate that small bit of confusion. Perhaps it just doesn't matter that much (I'm not sure how many other people are making that buzz anyway).
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

grapesmoker wrote:
Cody wrote:
Right. I buzzed on "these functions" so I didn't hear the rest and wasn't fast enough to process what "only" was supposed to mean here. I'm not saying the question is wrong, I'm just saying that it would be nice to somehow phrase it a bit more clearly to eliminate that small bit of confusion. Perhaps it just doesn't matter that much (I'm not sure how many other people are making that buzz anyway).
I actually did this too. I think a prompt on SH is fair.

Ike
Ike
UIUC 13
Cody

Post by Cody »

I rearranged the first sentence and added a prompt on spherical harmonics. Thanks :)
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

In round 1, shouldn't "huo yao" be acceptable/promptable for the bonus part on gunpowder? There's literally no reason to include that bonus leadin if it's not.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Cody

Post by Cody »

christino wrote:In round 1, shouldn't "huo yao" be acceptable/promptable for the bonus part on gunpowder? There's literally no reason to include that bonus leadin if it's not.
I've added it now.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Schroeder
Lulu

Post by Schroeder »

Also in round 1, I think Pyrrhus should be acceptable for Neoptolomus (my teammate was negged for saying that).
Jonchee Kao
Bellarmine '15, Berkeley '19, Harvard
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Schroeder wrote:Also in round 1, I think Pyrrhus should be acceptable for Neoptolomus (my teammate was negged for saying that).
Aidan made the same buzz in our room and Sarah gave it to him, so yeah this definitely needs to be done.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

Was this the tournament that seemed to refer to the concept of an "anti-biopic" in one question, or was that a different tournament this weekend? And regardless, what does that mean?
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Tidus

Tees-Exe Line wrote:Was this the tournament that seemed to refer to the concept of an "anti-biopic" in one question, or was that a different tournament this weekend? And regardless, what does that mean?
Straub-Huillet's Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach is often called an anti-biopic, because it's about the life of a real person, but in semi-documentary style, and avoiding the usual tropes of biopics.
Will Nediger
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

women, fire and dangerous things wrote:
Tees-Exe Line wrote:Was this the tournament that seemed to refer to the concept of an "anti-biopic" in one question, or was that a different tournament this weekend? And regardless, what does that mean?
Straub-Huillet's Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach is often called an anti-biopic, because it's about the life of a real person, but in semi-documentary style, and avoiding the usual tropes of biopics.
Wow, okay. Is there a nice juicy reference for what "the usual tropes of biopics" might be, and how that film violates them?
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Tidus

Tees-Exe Line wrote:
women, fire and dangerous things wrote:
Wow, okay. Is there a nice juicy reference for what "the usual tropes of biopics" might be, and how that film violates them?
This article talks a bit about it: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/mp/9460447. ... w=fulltext
Will Nediger
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Jem Casey
Wakka

Post by Jem Casey »

VCU Open, Packet 5 wrote: A religious tradition in this country traces itself back to a group of nine semi-historical apostles.
ANSWER: Indonesia
Not exactly an error, but this clue could use an "It's not Ethiopia, but..." to prevent confusion with another notable group of nine semi-historical apostles.
Jordan Brownstein
UMD '17
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Jem Casey wrote:
VCU Open, Packet 5 wrote: A religious tradition in this country traces itself back to a group of nine semi-historical apostles.
ANSWER: Indonesia
Not exactly an error, but this clue could use an "It's not Ethiopia, but..." to prevent confusion with another notable group of nine semi-historical apostles.
Yeah, I was very happy Charlie Dees buzzed on the leadin to prevent me from making this neg. This change should definitely be made.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

In packet 1, Mathew Brady should only have one t, and his middle name is apparently just B.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana