The Second Summer Open

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

The Second Summer Open

Post by Cheynem »

So it seems like VCU Open isn't happening. Which is fine. This is not one of those threads in which the community, Lottery style, dragoons some poor sap like Stephen Eltinge and demands he write a tournament for the masses. Although I will say if anyone HAD been contemplating writing a summer open and just needed like one more editor or whatever, now is the time.

Anyway, ASSUMING the august summer open isn't happening, I would like to propose that we still use up the time on the schedule, but with a weekend of mini tournaments/side events that would ordinarily result in a cluttered main weekend. There are already a number of events that were floated to be attached to this tournament.

I'm sure there's more ideas people have been sitting on, whether it be just a packet or a series of packets. If anything, I would also propose attaching some guerrilla doubles tournaments things to it (the obvious choices seem stuff like history, literature, trash, but the masses can decide).

So basically I'm posting this to check to see, first, if there is anyone seriously wanting to do a summer open, and if not, if people have any ideas/projects for the side event weekend.

EDITED LIST OF POTENTIAL EVENTS

CONFIRMED LIST OF EVENTS
*Listory (Kurtis Droge and Co.)
*Culture of Improvement (Mike Bentley)
*ARTSEE (fine arts, Will Alston and Co.)
*Ten Point Shootout (basketball, Mik Larsen)--$5 a person
*Tricon (note: guerrilla)--free
*Film (note: guerrilla)--free
*CLEAR II (many theme packets, Rutgers--note already been mirrored)
*Eternal Sonata (video game music, Jasper Lee and Anderson Wang)--free
*Not Another Trash Tournament (trash, Eliza Grames and co.)--$1 a packet for each person
*GRAPHIC (comics, Raynor Kuang)--$5-$8 a person (may change pricing if shootout)
*BURI (myth, Ben Zhang and co.)

UNSURE, SOME DEGREE OF UNCERTAINTY
*Supreme Court (Ben Zhang and Co.)
*Angels in the Architecture II (Aidan Mehigan--probably not ready by this time)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Re: The Second Summer Open

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

The answerlines for BURI, a myth side event, have been picked out by myself and Eric Mukherjee since 2012, but if anyone is willing to help write it for a potential side event weekend, that would be great.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

As an update on Culture of Improvement, it's maybe 70% written right now, but not much has been edited yet. Progress will probably slow once CO packets start coming in.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I'd love to see a second summer open, but I'm not willing to take on additional writing projects. I'll travel pretty much wherever, or at least before mid-August (and even then I think I'll be free weekends).

Also, is NASAT going to be available for open mirrors again this year?

EDIT: I'll also express strong interest in NOT having a majority of the side events be trash.
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

I have a six-round professional basketball tossups-only tournament in the works tentatively titled The Ten-Point Shootout; if there's interest in such a thing, I can actually start working on it in earnest.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Dear Mik:

Shit yeah.

Sincerely,
Chris
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

rylltraka wrote:I have a six-round professional basketball tossups-only tournament in the works tentatively titled The Ten-Point Shootout; if there's interest in such a thing, I can actually start working on it in earnest.
WANT
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

ANSWER: _KOBE_
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

rylltraka wrote:I have a six-round professional basketball tossups-only tournament in the works tentatively titled The Ten-Point Shootout; if there's interest in such a thing, I can actually start working on it in earnest.
:aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa:
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

I have a teammate who would have a heart attack from the pure joy of this. Will pass this info along.
Jason Golfinos
Trinity School '13 (inexplicably in charge, 2011-13)
Princeton '17 (inexplicably in charge, 2015-16)
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

!!! Much excitement.

I'd be down for an East Coast NASAT + side events weekend.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:I'd love to see a second summer open, but I'm not willing to take on additional writing projects. I'll travel pretty much wherever, or at least before mid-August (and even then I think I'll be free weekends).

Also, is NASAT going to be available for open mirrors again this year?

EDIT: I'll also express strong interest in NOT having a majority of the side events be trash.
NASAT will be available for open mirrors again this year. An announcement will be forthcoming this week.

EDIT: Announcement has been posted here.
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

That comics set has been pushed back indefinitely as a "set." I'll probably crank out a tossup-only packet or 2 at the end of May, but judging by community interest that's all I'm interested in writing as of now.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

UlyssesInvictus wrote:That comics set has been pushed back indefinitely as a "set." I'll probably crank out a tossup-only packet or 2 at the end of May, but judging by community interest that's all I'm interested in writing as of now.
Well, shucks. Ah, well it is always* better to have something than nothing. Thank you, Raynor!
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

You can write whatever you want to write, but there have been a few posts as of late in which people are like "due to lack of community interest, I'm pushing this back or not writing it"--again, let me clear, people can write whatever they want and not write whatever they want--but was there was really a lack of community interest for this? I was looking forward to playing it, but I guess I never posted about it. I'd hate to have people base a community's opinion on a few HSQB posts (or lack thereof).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I wish to add community interest for Raynor's comic set
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I don't mind trash tournaments, but it would be great if this event had a meatier academic component to it.

Last year it seemed like there were more planned academic side events than we had room for. I'm a little surprised that it seems very different this summer.

(And it would still be great to see some people get together and write/edit an academic main event.)
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If nobody steps up to do the main event, I think some form of gorilla academic side events would be best, perhaps trying to limit the trash to one day of the weekend (to be fair, these trash events don't seem very long). These academic events could be something like a single-subject thing (write a gorilla history, lit, science, etc.) or an attempt at doing a gorilla full distro event (this might be a bit more dubious quality but also potentially entertaining).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

anderson
Lulu

Post by anderson »

To add to the trash, Jasper Lee and I have been working on and off on making an auditory video game music tournament (title TBD). Right now we've made ~50 tossups out of a planned 100 or so and could probably finish it by August, though if there's already an excess of trash side events, this could be pushed back until sometime later.
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

If there's interest in cobbling together an academic side event day, I've been tentatively working on a literature/history hybrid side event that could be ready in time for this.
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

What I think might be a good idea is (assuming no main event surfaces) that, at some point, compiling a list of all potential side events and then having each TD at each site make the call as what to play and when, which would help to prevent an overstuffed or unbalanced weekend. It might be great too if people really serious about writing an event commit to writing it and be very clear about progression/completion.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

I, for one, look forward to another incarnation of Tricon, provided decent packets get written and a not-unfunny distribution is created. I can write for any packet-submission event or kick in whimsical freelance questions to people as needed.

Someone suggested last year doing some sort of event where participants are assigned a specific packet format and distribution (e.g. NAQT IS-set, Patrick's Press, History Bee) but with no further restrictions, the objective being to adapt each format to a college-level difficulty and with the usual strictures of good quizbowl.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I'd be cool with a second packet-submission summer open with relatively light editing, ideally by some people who'd have difficulty attending.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Brian McPeak
Lulu

Post by Brian McPeak »

Cheynem wrote:a gorilla full distro event
is what I would be most interested in
Brian McPeak
University of Maryland
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

A full distro event written by an infinite number of gorillas at type writers.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I'd also like to express interest in proving that I had no life as a kid by playing Raynor's comics side event.

I'd also love to see a second summer open materialize, whether it's an academic side event to pair with the trash events or an actual academic main event.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Although the myth side event is not confirmed (though due to an influx of volunteers, it most likely will happen), what will definitely be done by then are five 20-tossup packets comprising a Supreme Court side event. The distribution of answerlines in this set will endeavor to resemble a hypothetical "American History" side event as much as possible, with the obvious exception that questions on specific SCOTUS doctrines/cases/justices can fill up to about half of each packet.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Urech hydantoin synthesis wrote:Although the myth side event is not confirmed (though due to an influx of volunteers, it most likely will happen), what will definitely be done by then are five 20-tossup packets comprising a Supreme Court side event. The distribution of answerlines in this set will endeavor to resemble a hypothetical "American History" side event as much as possible, with the obvious exception that questions on specific SCOTUS doctrines/cases/justices can fill up to about half of each packet.
I'd be very interested in both of these things, although I hope the latter is not like 19/0 constitutional law.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Sounds like Stephen Liu is asking for more contract law in quizbowl. Peppercorns for everyone!
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

Maybe we should all write our questions and throw paper copies of them in a pile, burn them, and then dance nude around the pile while Jordan Boyd-Graber's quiz bowl robot reads us the questions and points out the ideal buzz points of each one at which point we all shake our heads in ecstasy spraying off the perfume with which we have anointed our hair which then is incinerated upon contact with the fire creating a vapor which wafts up to the heavens dulling our senses in the dim light as we drift closer to the wall of perception and the omega point of lateral thinking which separates the mortal from the empyrean plane.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

rylltraka wrote:Maybe we should all write our questions and throw paper copies of them in a pile, burn them, and then dance nude around the pile while Jordan Boyd-Graber's quiz bowl robot reads us the questions and points out the ideal buzz points of each one at which point we all shake our heads in ecstasy spraying off the perfume with which we have anointed our hair which then is incinerated upon contact with the fire creating a vapor which wafts up to the heavens dulling our senses in the dim light as we drift closer to the wall of perception and the omega point of lateral thinking which separates the mortal from the empyrean plane.
this is a really good idea, i would be down
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

CLEAR II! Please, someone, mirror this!
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Kurtis Doge's recently announced Listory event could probably serve as the foundation for this weekend. It's short enough you could append a couple more side events to it on Saturday night and then have all Sunday for things. We can take inventory a little later in the summer of what's available; I'm willing to help create a Tricon-esque academic/trash hybrid guerrilla event to be the potential Sunday linchpin if there's a hole.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

gyre and gimble
Yuna

Would those folks writing side events for the "second summer open" be comfortable setting firm dates by which their sets will be completed? Some folks out in the Bay Area are trying to put something together and we think the weekend of August 6/7 would be best for us. But to decide what we're playing, we need to know what will be available. Thanks!
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I edited the first post with a running list of confirmed and proposed events. By "confirmed," I mean that they were formally announced on the boards with an official announcement and some degree of credibility (two of these were guerrilla sets, which I noted, so the announcement doesn't necessarily mean anything). The "unconfirmed" ones range from a reasonably confident post in this thread (Ben Zhang, Mik Larsen) to much more uncertain or hypothetical sets. If you're on the "unconfirmed" list and are serious about it, I'd suggest a formal announcement with some details. Obviously if ALL of these sets come into being, that's a full weekend (probably overstuffed), but I doubt that will happen. Let's try and maybe get this done by mid June at the latest?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Is there a reason ARTSEE isn't there?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

No reason--I just forgot about it. I'll edit it in.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

I can say that Listory will be ready by the weekend of the 6th for sure.

Would the 6th/7th be a weekend that generally works for people in the Midwest or out East? Getting started on sorting out dates and locations might be a good idea for people trying to make travel plans.
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Maybe the 13th? Gives a full two weekends in between CO and this, which might be nice for writers and guerrilla packet authors.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

I am happy to work on my set and make sure it's done by August 6/13, although I am wondering if it's even feasible to have this number of sets played over the same weekend. Perhaps I'm just not clear on how long some of these will take.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Obviously sites can determine what they wish to run due to time constraints: a lot of these events are tossup only and have less than 10 packets, so i think we can fit a number of them in, even if some get the Ye Olde Shootout Treatment.

At our site last year, we played the full tossup/bonus VCU Open tournament, then SHEIKH (as a full event) on Saturday, then VICO and We Have Never Been Modern (as full events) on Sunday, then closed with shootouts on Tricon packets. I could easily see two side events joining Listory on Saturdays for most sites, followed by sites playing through as many events as possible on Sunday.

I think it's fair to probably give precedence to Listory, Culture of Improvement, and ARTSEE since they were announced first and are more or less academic tournaments. The guerrilla tournaments probably get least precedence. Everything else can be decided by individual sites. People like having choices of things to play and as long as people recognize they might not get to play everything and some things are shootouts that end at 1 AM, I think we're okay.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

CLEAR II has been written (except for the Chinese history packet...) for a couple months now; we would quite like it to be played in a physical location somewhere in addition to our scheduled June Skype tournament. There are 11+ 20/20 subject packets at Nats-minus Nats-ish difficulty; perhaps some or all of them could be slotted into this tournament. I'm not sure what is required for a set to be "confirmed" (since CLEAR II does have an announcement, and has for quite a while), unless the second summer open is supposed to be the debut of all the sets.
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Obviously sites can play anything they want, I just didn't find it optimal to list a set that some people would have already played.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

gyre and gimble
Yuna

Cheynem wrote:Obviously sites can play anything they want, I just didn't find it optimal to list a set that some people would have already played.
Wouldn't it be more optimal to just list all the sets that are available to play? I really don't see the downside to listing CLEAR.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'll edit in with the note that it has already been mirrored.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Do people want my basketball set to be finished in time for this? Tossups only, probably violates Ike's advice about accessibility to everyone, answer aren't going to be on 9th man for the 1977 Hawks or something though. I should be able to get to at least 50 TUs.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Maybe it can be played as an appendix to Mik's set?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

AKKOLADE wrote:Do people want my basketball set to be finished in time for this? Tossups only, probably violates Ike's advice about accessibility to everyone, answer aren't going to be on 9th man for the 1977 Hawks or something though. I should be able to get to at least 50 TUs.
Well, there goes my tossup on Ron Behagen.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I was clearly talking about Tom Barker, thank you.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

AKKOLADE wrote:Do people want my basketball set to be finished in time for this? Tossups only, probably violates Ike's advice about accessibility to everyone, answer aren't going to be on 9th man for the 1977 Hawks or something though. I should be able to get to at least 50 TUs.
I'd be super into a set with hard basketball tossups. I would definitely want to play this set.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired