Buzzer repairs and sales

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Buzzer repairs and sales

Post by theMoMA »

With all the talk of buzzers, I thought I'd start a thread where people can exchange information about repairs and sales.

Repairs
  • Electramatic (The Judge): Call them at (612) 781-9588 to inquire about repairs. They are based in the Twin Cities, so I'm happy to take a Judge in for repair if you bring it to a tournament. Judges are heavy, so this could save a fair amount on shipping. Repairs are reasonably priced.
  • Anderson systems: Information about repairs is here. I have heard that repairs are reasonably priced.
  • Zeecraft: Call them about repairs (contact info). I don't know if repairs are reasonably cheap.
  • Novel Electronic Designs (the ones that look like this), will "refurbish" a buzzer system for $60-$100 depending on model. This entails fixing worn-out wires and busted connections, and replacing light bulbs, etc. Their website at buzzersystems.com has the necessary information.
Please add in information about repairs of other buzzers in the thread, and I'll update the above with the info.

Gautam mentioned that it would be nice to find someone with electronics expertise who could try to fix buzzers that aren't made by manufacturers that offer inexpensive repairs. Does anyone know someone like this?

Sales
  • If anyone has a used buzzer system to sell, they should post in this thread.
  • If any teams have broken buzzers that they'd rather sell than repair, I'll pay a fair price plus shipping, and I'll get them repaired for cheap sale to other programs.
  • It may be worth stockpiling some working buzzers with people who have storage space. Unfortunately, shipping buzzers is too expensive to make a centralized buzzer supply viable at most events, but it might be good to have a handful stowed away across the country for use at big national events (like ACF Nationals) that often end up having a shortage. Does anyone think this is a worthwhile idea?
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
jonpin
Auron

Re: Buzzer repairs and sales

Post by jonpin »

Novel Electronic Designs (the ones that look like this), will "refurbish" a buzzer system for $60-$100 depending on model. This entails fixing worn-out wires and busted connections, and replacing light bulbs, etc. Their website at buzzersystems.com has the necessary information.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Hi all,

I've amassed a few secondhand buzzers that teams might want. If you buy one, I'll bring it to CO (probably not HSNCT because I'm flying in, but I might be able to bring one to Dallas if you or someone in your area won't be at CO) to avoid shipping costs. (That said, I'll gladly ship if you'll pay the costs for postage and packaging.) I prefer to sell them to college teams, but high schools can let me know if they're interested as well. I have:
  • Zeecraft Challenger II 16-player system with 10 "showtime grip" buzzers. All of the buzzers and jacks work. This is an ideal system for practice with a large team, and retails new for $835 (with 16 "showtime grip" buzzers). Extra buzzers of this style appear to be $57 each, or $25 each for the box-style ones, which are also compatible with this sysytem. (These are the old-style "showtime grip" buzzers with rectangular boxes, not the square/sloped ones that Zeecraft now sells, but any Zeecraft buzzer with phone-cord jacks will work.) Comes with a Zeecraft carrying case. Asking $350.
  • Zeecraft Challenger I 8-player system with 6 box-style buzzers. All of the buzzers and jacks work. This system retails new for $465 with eight box buzzers. I need to order a power converter for it, but I've tested it with the power converter from the Challenger II. Extra buzzers are available for $25 from Zeecraft. Comes with a non-official carrying case or bag that I've yet to purchase (but will before it finds a new home). Asking $175.
  • Old-model (white box) Zeecraft Challenger 1 8-player system with 8 box-style buzzers (not the actual photo, but the system and the box buzzers are the correct style). All of the buzzers and jacks work. This appears to be the predecessor model to the newer Challenger I (the current model of this type retails for $465, as mentioned above). It has the same functionality as the current model, but it's slightly smaller and made of white, rather than black, plastic. Comes with a Zeecraft carrying case. Asking $175.
  • The Judge 8-player system (not actual photo, but this is the same style). All eight buzzers work. I need to have it taken into Electramatic for minor cosmetic repairs, but it should be ready in time for HSNCT/CO. It appears that the new 10-player systems retail for about $400. Asking $150.
I would like to retain one of these systems, preferably one of the Zeecrafts, for myself, but I don't really care which one it is. I'm happy to order any number of additional Zeecraft buzzers to fill out the first or second systems on the list before it ships, assuming you pay cost for the additional ones.

All prices negotiable based on need. Any proceeds from these buzzers beyond what I paid will go toward buying yet more for resale. I'll update this post or make new ones if I have more buzzers for sale. Email me ([email protected]) if interested.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Has anyone heard of this brand (Rolls)? I saw a teacher on Donors Choose requesting these today. They look halfway decent, but I've just never heard of anyone using them. If it turns out that they work and hold up decently well, they'd be a pretty cheap option.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

alexdz wrote:Has anyone heard of this brand (Rolls)? I saw a teacher on Donors Choose requesting these today. They look halfway decent, but I've just never heard of anyone using them. If it turns out that they work and hold up decently well, they'd be a pretty cheap option.
For about $40 more you get 2 more buzzers and easier setup with an Anderson, which I think is worth the price.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

alexdz wrote:Has anyone heard of this brand (Rolls)? I saw a teacher on Donors Choose requesting these today. They look halfway decent, but I've just never heard of anyone using them. If it turns out that they work and hold up decently well, they'd be a pretty cheap option.
Definitely encountered these at some tournament in high school but haven't seen them since. I don't recall having any strong negative reaction to them.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

Kouign Amann wrote:
Definitely encountered these at some tournament in high school but haven't seen them since. I don't recall having any strong negative reaction to them.
The most annoying buzzer sound ever
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18