Seeking Collaborators for Summer/Fall Arts Side Event

Old college threads.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Seeking Collaborators for Summer/Fall Arts Side Event

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

It looks like there's interest in compiling a number of side events for a possible "side event day/weekend" in addition to whatever open tournaments happen this summer (alternatively, this event can be pushed to the fall or winter). I've been wanting to write an arts event of some kind for a while - I'm not writing any arts for any of the events I'm working on right now and I have a good number of arts ideas. That said, I don't want to overwork myself - I'd like to write maybe 40-60 questions (though this is liable to change/expand) for a tournament with eight to ten packets. I will insist that this event be completed by Chicago Open so that I don't have it on my plate when I start work soon after. The target difficulty of this event would be in line with recent side events I've worked on (SHEIKH and Christmas Present) - at or slightly below recent incarnations of ACF Nationals.

Personally, I'm mostly interested in writing some amount of painting, classical music, and jazz. I'm looking to assemble a team of three to six people to write this tournament (any more starts to get difficult to coordinate). I would serve as either head editor or co-head editor, depending on the experience of the other contributors - the only thing that's an absolute necessity is someone who knows a good amount of Other Arts. Email me or PM me if you're interested in working on this.

The distribution would probably be something like 30% classical music, 30% painting, and 40% other arts.

EDIT: Athena Kern and Jarrett Greene will be working on this with me. I'm mainly looking for someone to work on auditory other arts and to help out with music, though additional visual arts writers are of course welcome.

EDIT 2: Kai Smith has joined the team. I'm open to maybe one additional application, but I'm pretty satisfied with the team of writers I've assembled thus far and will be making an announcement shortly.
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Tue May 03, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Seeking Collaborators for Summer/Fall Arts Side Event

Post by Cheynem »

Would the other arts include film?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

"Other art" seems like a broad discipline, can you specify it further at all with categories like film, sculpture, and cities?
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Here's my proposed per-packet distribution:

2x Painting pre-1850
2x Painting post-1850
2x Mixed / Any Painting (common links, more of the above, "pure" art history)
1x Sculpture
1x Architecture
2x Film
1x Photography + Performance + Other Visual
1x Ballet + Other Music
1x Jazz
1x Opera
1x Early Music + Theory
1x Baroque Music
1x Classical era + Performers/Conductors
1x Romantic Music
1x Modern Music
1x Any Music (common links and more of the above) Music History, etc.

A lot of this is pretty arbitrary but this is the distribution that I want to use and I think it's pretty fair.

EDIT: We have a team, I'll be hashing this out in a post soon.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21