Mirroring British Tournaments

Old college threads.
everdiso
Wakka

Mirroring British Tournaments

Post by everdiso »

Hello!
Over the past couple of months, the Canadian circuit has been trying to set our summer tournament schedule. We've been hoping to host a mirror of either this year's Oxford Open or Cambridge Open, since they have not yet been played in Canada. However, we have been completely unable to get in touch with anyone from either Oxford or Cambridge about mirroring their sets. Forum posts, HSQB DMs and emails have gone unanswered, and as the first weekend of our summer schedule (June 9th/10th) draws closer, we need to know what we'll have.
Even if these tournaments have not been (North) Americanised, we would be happy to play the original versions. If anyone has been in touch with the people who have control over these sets, or knows how to contact them, please let them know about this post/our interest. And, of course, if anyone from Oxford or Cambridge reads this, please let us know about availability and prices. We want to give you our money!!!
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Re: Mirroring British Tournaments

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

everdiso wrote:Hello!
Over the past couple of months, the Canadian circuit has been trying to set our summer tournament schedule. We've been hoping to host a mirror of either this year's Oxford Open or Cambridge Open, since they have not yet been played in Canada. However, we have been completely unable to get in touch with anyone from either Oxford or Cambridge about mirroring their sets. Forum posts, HSQB DMs and emails have gone unanswered, and as the first weekend of our summer schedule (June 9th/10th) draws closer, we need to know what we'll have.
Even if these tournaments have not been (North) Americanised, we would be happy to play the original versions. If anyone has been in touch with the people who have control over these sets, or knows how to contact them, please let them know about this post/our interest. And, of course, if anyone from Oxford or Cambridge reads this, please let us know about availability and prices. We want to give you our money!!!
I would be happy to relay any such requests to Tom Hill for Cambridge Open-related enquiries if you're still having in trouble contacting him. I respond to things sent to [email protected] fairly quickly (+/- time differences of course) and will try to keep an eye on my forum inbox more than usual.
Jason Golfinos
Trinity School '13 (inexplicably in charge, 2011-13)
Princeton '17 (inexplicably in charge, 2015-16)
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

I actually just emailed back and forth with Ewan McAulay today, to great success on setting up a Cambridge Open mirror (after, of course, mistaking the 2017 mirror post as the 2018 one).

Besides using Jason as a bridge, perhaps you could try messaging him as well?

(By the way, congratulations on your Nicest Quizbowler award, Jason!)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

As an addendum, I will probably be putting in some personal work to Americanize any questions I find too Queen-ly, so anyone else hoping to mirror CamO can probably collaborate with me on that.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
frasier
Lulu

Post by frasier »

Apologies, this slipped through the net. We now have a new committee and we are going to discuss what to do with OOT in the US/Canada in the near future. It can either be played in its current form (it's not hugely British, but it does have some egregious British content) or with some Americanisation. One thing to say (though I'm biased): I think this tournament is in good shape and would not look massively out of line with the US sets played this year, barring the aforementioned British content and easier than regs/regs- science because of who plays the tournament in the UK.

If we do think Americanisation is the best way to go, we'll post and indicate how much needs to be changed. It will be in the range of a packet's worth of questions I reckon.
George Charlson
Oxford (2009-2014, 2017-2021)
Ewan MacAulay
Lulu

Post by Ewan MacAulay »

Hi Paul,

Very sorry to hear about Cambridge's lack of response - I think a few of our club officers are in the middle of their final exams right now so have been cutting back on the quiz.

If you're still interested in hosting a mirror, do please drop me a line on at emacaulay106 [AT] google's e-mail service.

The set is the same distribution and difficulty as last year, though maybe slightly more British at the bottom of the distribution. I'm sure we and Raynor can figure out a way to adapt it so that it plays as well as possible across the pond.
Ewan MacAulay
Oxford 2015
Cambridge 2018
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

Thanks to everyone for your quick and helpful replies.

We've decided to go with the Cambridge Open for the June 9th/10th weekend, since it seemed more ready at this moment (we've talked to Ewan and made it official). However, we may also be interested in mirroring the Oxford Open later this summer, so do still make your decisions on possible North Americanisation.

Thanks again to everyone for helping settle this!
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020