West NAQT SCT, 2/7/09 @ UCLA

Old college threads.
Avram
Lulu

West NAQT SCT, 2/7/09 @ UCLA

Post by Avram »

The UCLA College Bowl Club and Graduate Academic Tournaments Organization are pleased to announce:

West NAQT Sectional Collegiate Tournament

DATE: February 7, 2009

FORMAT: NAQT rules, timed rounds.

There will be separate, parallel tournaments for Division I and Division II teams. In accordance with the NAQT Sectionals rules, there will be three, possibly non-distinct, champions: Division I, Division I Undergraduate, and Division II. There will also be individual awards within each division.

SCHEDULE: Registration should start at 8:30 am, with round 1 starting by 9:00 am, but these times are subject to change. Updated schedule and location information will be posted as it becomes available.

PRICING STRUCTURE:
Base fee = $120 for first team, $100 each subsequent team
Base fee for new schools (* see below) = $80 for first team, $65 for each subsequent team
-$5 per fully-functional buzzer system (Must have at least four working buzzers on both sides) (maximum 2 discounts per team)
-$5 per functional countdown clock or timer (maximum of 3 per team, unless we contact you about needing more)
-$10 per 300 miles traveled to the event (** see below)
-$15 per pre-approved moderator or scorekeeper (no maximum, but please contact us first)
Minimum fee = $60 ($50 for new schools)
* New schools are schools that have neither competed in nor hosted an NAQT Sectional in the last two years
** One-way distance, based on driving distance as calculated by tournament staff. And really, wouldn't be worth driving 300 extra miles to save $10, unless gas prices drop to below $1.15/gal, you get extremely good mileage, or you have multiple teams in the vehicle. Discount applies per team.

DETAILED RULES AND ELIGIBILITY:
Full eligibility and rules details are available on the NAQT website:
Rules: http://www.naqt.com/rules.html
Eligibility: http://www.naqt.com/eligibility.html

Please make checks payable to "College Bowl Club of UCLA." Please do not make a check out to any other person or entity, including "UCLA Quiz Bowl," as we cannot cash those checks.

The tournament directors are Avram Lyon and Ravi Menghani. If you are interested in attending, please e-mail Avram at [email protected] with the following information:

1) Your school's name

2) Contact name and e-mail address

3) The number of teams you are bringing in Division I and Division II

4) The number of buzzer systems, clocks and/or moderators you would like to bring

Updates about the tournament will primarily be through the hsquizbowl.org and the quizbowl Yahoo! group; however, they should also be posted online. Our club website is http://quizbowl.bol.ucla.edu. A link should become available once this announcement has been posted.

If you have any questions about any of this, please e-mail Avram Lyon at ajlyon (this-should-be-an-at-sign) ucla.edu or Ravi Menghani at raviucla (please-don't-spam) ucla.edu.

Thanks and hope to see you February 7, 2009,

Ravi Menghani
Avram Lyon

Tournament Directors, West NAQT SCT 2009
Avram Lyon
Kazan Federal University '11
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Avram
Lulu

Re: West NAQT SCT, 2/7/09 @ UCLA

Post by Avram »

Early field update:

Arizona State: 1 team (DI/DII not yet specified)
Caltech: 2 teams (DI/DII not yet specified)
Fresno State: 2 teams (DII)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Avram wrote:Arizona State: 1 team...Fresno State: 2 teams
This is undeniably awesome. I'm really glad that ASU is getting at least some kind of program together (even if they're just sending the CBI champions, that's still awesome), and I'm super-excited that Ron is getting to continue some kind of Fresno State program in CBI's absence.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Avram wrote:Early field update:

Arizona State: 1 team (DI/DII not yet specified)
They better win so Chris Ray can have his long anticipated rematch with the Ira Fulton School of Engineering.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Actually I think the team I played on is actually the CBI team, complete with Carlos Ross.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Arizona State: 2 team (DII)
UC Irvine: 1 team (DI), maybe 1 team DII
University of Washington: maybe 1 team (DI/DII not specified)

Please send your registrations to Ravi or to me in the next 1-2 weeks, so that we can have a good feel for how many staff to recruit, and to confirm room requirements.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Avram wrote:Arizona State: 2 team (DII)
UC Irvine: 1 team (DI), maybe 1 team DII
University of Washington: maybe 1 team (DI/DII not specified)

Please send your registrations to Ravi or to me in the next 1-2 weeks, so that we can have a good feel for how many staff to recruit, and to confirm room requirements.
Whoops, I responded to the wrong thread on the California mailing list. Washington is probably sending 1 team to ACF Regionals at Stanford, but will not be sending a team to SCT at UCLA.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote: Whoops, I responded to the wrong thread on the California mailing list. Washington is probably sending 1 team to ACF Regionals at Stanford, but will not be sending a team to SCT at UCLA.
It did seem pretty unlikely, but who am I to doubt your team's love of driving?

Again, I'd appreciate it if people could register in the upcoming days. It'll make our job much easier.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Division I:
Caltech
Stanford A
Stanford B
Irvine
(4 teams)

Division II:
CSU Fresno A
CSU Fresno B
Caltech
Stanford
Claremont
UCLA
Arizona State (2 teams)
(8 teams)

We currently have plenty of buzzer systems, but we are still looking for timers, and moderators are always appreciated.

Of course, we're also looking for more teams, so register soon so we can do more ahead of time and run a better-organized tournament.

With the current structure, we're planning on a quintuple round-robin in Division I, and a double round robin in Division II.

Edited to add Arizona State. I missed them on the first pass through the team list.
Last edited by Avram on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Why is Div II 8 teams? It adds to 6 in my mind.

Micah
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

manary wrote:Why is Div II 8 teams? It adds to 6 in my mind.

Micah
He missed Arizona State and edited them in right after your post.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

We are very actively encouraging registrations of Division I teams. If your program is thinking about sending a D1 team, please let me know as soon as possible. Due to some rearranging, we're down to three teams in D1 right now, and that's just no fun.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Details from about one week out:

All rounds will be held in Bunche Hall, with the main meeting space in Room 2209A.
For campus maps and driving directions, see http://www.ucla.edu/map/.
For parking information, see http://www.transportation.ucla.edu/port ... ionMap.htm. The best parking lots for the event are Law and Lot 3.

During the tournament, live stats will be available on http://quizbowl.gimranov.com/stats/tournaments.php.

Schedule
8:00 - 8:30 am Team Registration, quizbowl-style breakfast (Bunche 2209A)
8:30 - 8:45 am Rules review, introduction
8:45 am Round 1 starts
(Approx. 14 rounds of timed play)
5:45 pm End of regular play
6:00 pm Finals, as appropriate

Format
There will be some form of round robin, followed by an advantaged final or tie-breaker. We are currently waiting for advice from NAQT on how exactly to proceed, see Field below. In any case, teams will play 13+ rounds.

Field
Division 1: (3 teams) Stanford (2 teams), UC Irvine**
Division 2: (11 teams) Fresno State (2 teams), Caltech (3 teams), Arizona State (2 teams), UC Berkeley, Stanford, Claremont, UCLA
** With only three teams in D1, we are not obligated to run a separate bracket, so we may need to play a single 14-team bracket. We would welcome additional registrations, particularly in Division 1.
Last edited by Avram on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

UCSD: Where are you?

Fourth Division 1 team: Where are you?

If this ends up being a combined field, I'm going to be really pissed. I'd rather play solo to fill out the D1 field than have two of the top 8 teams in the country (by college poll) beating up on the newer D2 teams, or worse yet, playing on D2 questions.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

NAQT is too expensive for our non-school funded club...especially since Card. Classic is next week :/
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
Schweizerkas
Lulu

Post by Schweizerkas »

cvdwightw wrote: Fourth Division 1 team: Where are you?
I'm trying to convince some more Stanford players to come to Sectionals. Right now, we've got 8 Div I players signed up, and I might be able to convince one or two more people to come. With 8 players, forming into 3 teams wouldn't be so horrible (better than having to combine Div I and Div II, in my opinion), and with 9 or 10 players, it would be easy.
Brian
Stanford University
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

I appreciate everyone's efforts to make a fourth D1 team happen. We definitely do not want to combine the divisions, but a 3-team division would be unworkable; it would not only be a 5-uple round-robin, but also every third round would be a bye. Horrible. If it comes down to it, we will have one of our D1 players play solo, probably Ray.

If any school does field a team just to make the bracket work (i.e., if it splits 2 teams into 3, but not if it finds players to make another team), that team will pay only the $35 that we pay NAQT. I'll ask about getting that waived by NAQT, but I don't know what they'll say.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
recfreq
Wakka

Post by recfreq »

I'm happy to provide additional competition by playing (so as not to dilute the already small cadre of good players), and it'll be fun. However, I'd need guarantee that this does not remove our auto-div I bid from NAQT for ICT.
Ray Luo, UCLA.
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

recfreq wrote:However, I'd need guarantee that this does not remove our auto-div I bid from NAQT for ICT.
It doesn't. We only lose the autobid if we win Div 1, in which case we won't need the autobid.

The current field is (note that Berkeley can't attend):
Division 1: (4 teams) Stanford (2 teams), UC Irvine, UCLA
Division 2: (10 teams) Fresno State (2 teams), Caltech (3 teams), Arizona State (2 teams), Stanford, Claremont, UCLA

Registration is still open, but sooner is better.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

The current and probably final field is:
Division 1: (4 teams) Stanford (2 teams), UC Irvine, USC
Division 2: (11 teams) Fresno State (2 teams), Caltech (3 teams), Arizona State (2 teams), Stanford, Claremont, UCLA, USC

This is pending confirmation from USC that they will indeed be sending a Div 1 team, but that's the word on the street.

Remember: Register by 8:30 AM in Bunche 2209A. For maps and parking, see the previous post.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Congratulations to UC Irvine, who took first place in Division 1, where Irvine and Stanford A traded losses throughout the tournament. After finishing the quadruple round robin with identical records, Irvine defeated Stanford A in the final (round 13 on the stats page).

In Division 2, teams played an 11-team round robin, then split into brackets. Arizona State A and Caltech B entered the the top flight with an 8-2 record each, and Caltech A and UCLA left the round robin tied at 9-1. Arizona State swept the bracket, leaving the bracket at 11-2, tied with UCLA for first place. In the final, Arizona State led at the end of time, pending a protest that would have forced a tie. In the hypothetical tie-breaker to decide whether the protest was moot, UCLA showed it hypothetically would have won. As the protest was not adequately resolved, the teams agreed to replay the round on a fresh packet. In the replayed round (round 15 on the stats page), UCLA defeated Arizona State A 170-160.

Congratulations to all the teams in Division 2, especially the incredibly patient Arizona State team, and to all the new teams at sectionals, like Fresno and Claremont. It was a great tournament, and we look forward to having everyone back for BISCUIT in March.

For full team and individual results in both divisions, see: http://quizbowl.gimranov.com/stats/ .
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Stats are a little wonky for our last two games. We went 3-9-2 in Round 12 (stats dropped a tossup each from me and Ray) and 1-15-1 in Round 13 (dropping another of my tossups). Our bonus conversion should probably be on the other side of 18.5 once those corrections are made.

Thanks to UCLA for running the tournament. It was well-run and generally on time, and it seems like all teams, from us dinosaurs to the first-exposure-to-the-circuit teams, had a good time.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Fixed.

If anyone catches further issues, please let me know. For example, I'd be glad to fix the last names for those without if people tell what they should be.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

As it turns out, Stanford B was all undergrad, so the final champions are:

D1: UC Irvine
D1 (Undergraduate): Stanford B
D2: UCLA
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Can you add in slots for team 15s, 10s, and -5s on the team stats pages? I think NAQT is going to want that info, as are other people trying to eyeball how people did at this tournament. A Tossups Heard column would also be nice, though I suppose we can currently derive that information from the posted PPTH and PPG stats.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Snail Kite
Kimahri

Post by Snail Kite »

Feels funny to get namechecked in this thread (thanks Chris). I'm glad ASU did so well, I was cheering them on from Florida.
Carlos Ross
ASU '08 (BA, Japanese)
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Matt Weiner wrote:Can you add in slots for team 15s, 10s, and -5s on the team stats pages? I think NAQT is going to want that info, as are other people trying to eyeball how people did at this tournament. A Tossups Heard column would also be nice, though I suppose we can currently derive that information from the posted PPTH and PPG stats.
Done.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Thanks.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org