The new tournament list is now available

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

The new tournament list is now available

Post by Matt Weiner »

Go to the home page to submit tournaments or results, or to view them. You are encouraged to submit older stuff from this year for the sake of completeness.
Last edited by Matt Weiner on Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

For North Carolina people:

I will save you all the effort of going through the painful task of inputting all of your tournaments. Please double check me to make sure I'm doing this correctly!

Patrick King
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

Is there any way to alter the qualifying field so that "none" is an option? Some tournaments don't qualify for anything else, and so I am using "state tournament" as the default, even though it isn't a good description.

Patrick King
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Similarly, some tournaments qualify for multiple championships (i.e., the BATT had both PACE and NAQT qualifications). Maybe checkboxes would work best for that field.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We'll work on that. For now just take your pick of PACE, ASCN, or NAC since they all have some sort of wild-card qualification, meaning that technically all tournaments qualify for them. I think NAQT may have wild cards as well, I forget.
harshrealm
Lulu

Post by harshrealm »

I think for region there should be subheadings for Northeast, Southeast, Mid-Atlantic, etc.
"Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I considered that, but the existence of the thread "What are the Regional Dividing Lines?" convinced me that there is no agreement as to what constitutes a region. It doesn't take that long to search a few states.

'None' has been added as a qualifying option, as has 'NSC & HSNCT'.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I received an Internal Server Error when attempting to submit my tournament so I could post the results.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

It's fixed. Try it again now.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

So it is. Thanks. For everything.
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

How long does it take for the "tournament ID" for login purposes to come out?

Patrick King
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

pakman044 wrote:How long does it take for the "tournament ID" for login purposes to come out?

Patrick King
It should be emailed to you once the tournament is approved. This will depend on my access to the site; I will try to keep up whenever I am at home or on campus, but during classes, work, sleeping, et cetera it may be a few hours. At the most, turnaround will be 24 hours.

Once everything is working I will see about getting other people able to approve tournaments, in order to get more coverage.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I just found a serious glitch in the code. Please if you are reading this, don't submit a tournament until I post here again saying it's good to do so.

If you already have, don't worry. It won't be lost, it's just that i don't want any new tournaments gunking up the database while I test the code.
Noah Rahman
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

OK. It's fixed now.
Noah Rahman
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

I dont think i ever got an email about a tournament ID for any of the ones i submitted. I'd like to post results to all of them.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Are you absolutely sure? It seems to work for everyone else. If you really haven't (and you might have not, I was making changes to the programs about the time you submitted yours, it might have fallen thorught the cracks) tell me and I'll email you personally the requisite data.
Noah Rahman
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Ditto here, Noah. I submitted the Bobcat Bowl, but never received a reply. I submitted it before you made your changed in the code, though, so maybe it was due to that.

Also, would it be possible to sort the tournaments by date? Or better yet, do a sort based upon a user-defined criterion?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

They are sorted by date, when you search them by any criterion. User-defiend criterion create security issues.

I'll email you your stuff. The bug I fixed prevented the auto-emailer form working, now I see more clearly what happened.
Noah Rahman
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

You can now submit results for tournaments with teams tied for places.
Noah Rahman
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I've now adjusted the result search scripts so it'll pull up similar team names and not be so anal about exactness (eg. it'll pull up Maggie Walker HS, Maggie Walker A, and Maggie Walker even if you just search for Maggie Walker)
Noah Rahman
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

Two suggestions:

1) I think tournaments should be sorted by date, not by month, as it is now. It's strange to see a tournament being held in 2004 come before a tournament already held in 2003.

2) Perhaps the "results" link should not be put up until there are actually results. This would make it easier to differentiate between upcoming events and past events.
mps4a_mps4a
Lulu

Post by mps4a_mps4a »

is there a way you could include a field for a link to full stats on the team's homepage?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Leo: the tournaments are now sorted as you requested.

mps4a_mps4a: you can now enter HTML in the comments field, so that way you can include a link to the stats.

Examples for the HTML-illiterate:
Copy the following code exactly into the comments field, replacing the italics with your relevant information

To include a link to a webpage:
<a href=URL of webpage here>link title</a>

To include a link to an email address:
<a href=mailto:email address here>name of person whose email it is</a>
Noah Rahman
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

A huge thanks to Noah for all his work in setting up the tournament calendar as well as for listening to our complaints and suggestions and acting on them. It's great having it all together rather than having to sift through all the messages.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I've noticed that some people are not submitting tournament results because the forms don't support multiple divisions or classes of play.

To TDs: How big of a problem has this been for you regarding this site?

To players: How badly do you want to see results broken down this way?

If there is enough support for this, I'll change the scripts so that multiple divisions per tournament will be supported.

And don't worry Weiner, I won't charge you extra :)
Noah Rahman
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

solonqb wrote:I've noticed that some people are not submitting tournament results because the forms don't support multiple divisions or classes of play.

To TDs: How big of a problem has this been for you regarding this site?

To players: How badly do you want to see results broken down this way?

If there is enough support for this, I'll change the scripts so that multiple divisions per tournament will be supported.

And don't worry Weiner, I won't charge you extra :)
I know its a big deal for me when I submitted VHSL state results. As you noticed I put in three different tournaments. But I'd rather have put in three divisions of 1 tournament.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Unless there is a nearly unanimous outcry in the other direction I'd support entering different divisions as different tournaments, since the fields are entirely separate.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Now that i've probably antagonized half the board with all the posts urging people to submit their tournaments, let me justify myself.

I just got a little piqued by seeing tournaments posted here and discussed without TDs also putting them and their results in the database, something that was meant to make the process easier by providing a searchable index of tourneys and results. I also got sick and tired of entering other people's results a month after their tournament had passed.

Commence the stone-throwing.
Noah Rahman
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

If some of you happen to receive automated emails giving you information that your tournament has been accepted, and you didn't submit one, rest assured that the system is not out of whack. I submitted them for you since apparently nothing for that tournnament has been submitted yet, and I have designated you as contact beacuse I assumed you were the person on this board most affiliated with that tournament. If you take serious exception to this policy, just email me and I'll take the necessary action.
Noah Rahman
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

Noah, I understand your zeal for your new tournament database, and I do agree that it's a pretty good idea. But, your posting in every single tournament thread so that they will post the tournament and results into the database--at least in my opinion (which means little to most people here apparently)--is getting a little bit irritating. It's not the end of the world if something doesnt get posted. Most of us are doing our best to post tournaments and results--I know I've done something like 5 of them myself. Just bear with us Noah, we're trying.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

MCDoug wrote:Noah, I understand your zeal for your new tournament database, and I do agree that it's a pretty good idea. But, your posting in every single tournament thread so that they will post the tournament and results into the database--at least in my opinion (which means little to most people here apparently)--is getting a little bit irritating. It's not the end of the world if something doesnt get posted. Most of us are doing our best to post tournaments and results--I know I've done something like 5 of them myself. Just bear with us Noah, we're trying.
Wow, you're really doing well with that "don't post to start drama about the board" thing.

Wildcat
Lulu

Post by Wildcat »

But, your posting in every single tournament thread so that they will post the tournament and results into the database--at least in my opinion (which means little to most people here apparently)--is getting a little bit irritating. It's not the end of the world if something doesnt get posted.
You have to be pretty irritable to be irritated by something like this. I understand you don't like seeing 10 threads in regular season tournaments being posted in in a few minutes, but solon is doing us all a favor by being a bit anal retentive about this.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Doug, I see what you mean, and in future I'll refrain from flooding the board with such posts. But I don't think these people are even aware of it. I'm just trying to inform them.
Noah Rahman
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Wildcat wrote:
But, your posting in every single tournament thread so that they will post the tournament and results into the database--at least in my opinion (which means little to most people here apparently)--is getting a little bit irritating. It's not the end of the world if something doesnt get posted.
You have to be pretty irritable to be irritated by something like this. I understand you don't like seeing 10 threads in regular season tournaments being posted in in a few minutes, but solon is doing us all a favor by being a bit anal retentive about this.
I rather agree with this post. This board and this site are doing high school quizbowl a great favour by serving as an institutional memory.

Matt, Noah, would it be possible to start having this site record the results of collegiate tournaments?
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I spoke to Matt about that when I began this, and he said he didn't want to step on Michael Falk's toes.

http://www.e-falk.com/qb/ does that already.
Noah Rahman
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

my original message has been deleted and moved to AHAN where it belongs.
Malibu12
Kimahri

Post by Malibu12 »

"Please, let's not bring your mother into this."
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

If you post 2 tournaments, it appears that if they have the exact same name, the results from the first tournament is that of the second (e.g., Right Triangle Open in 2003 and the soon to come Right Triangle Open in 2004).

Patrick King
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I'll address that issue shortly. For now, don't give tournaments the same name (ie, add the year or a number for the same tournament in different years)
Noah Rahman
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

I would like to submit the results for the Maryland Classic, but I forgot the tournament id and password. I cannot remember receiving an id or password. How do I submit results sans the proper entry info?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Just give me your email address, I'll email the user id/password to you.
Noah Rahman
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Thanks Noah. I just submitted the Maryland Classic.

One very small concern I have is, when I was entering the quarterfinalists, all 5T, the team I entered in the 5th place spot is listed in the eighth row and 8th place spot is listed in the fifth row, same for "6th" and "7th." It is not that important, just wanted to bring it to your attention.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Dan Greenstein wrote:Thanks Noah. I just submitted the Maryland Classic.

One very small concern I have is, when I was entering the quarterfinalists, all 5T, the team I entered in the 5th place spot is listed in the eighth row and 8th place spot is listed in the fifth row, same for "6th" and "7th." It is not that important, just wanted to bring it to your attention.
It lists them all as 5 under the "place" column.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Weiner's right. In any case, the records are internally sorted by place before listing them, which takes precedence over anything else.
Noah Rahman
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I just resolved the results issue for tournaments with the same name. However, try to give tournaments that recur from year to year unique names or identifiers, such as ordinal numbers or years.
Noah Rahman