Seniors, what colleges have you applied to, or attending?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Are you going to play quiz bowl in college

Yes
49%
No
19%
Yes... until I lose to a team of slovenly introverts
16%
Nomar!!!
16%

Total votes: 37

welhai
Lulu

Post by welhai »

It looks like the only school I'm waiting on at this point is Princeton. I'm into Swarthmore, Williams, Dartmouth, Carleton, and William & Mary. My last school, Pomona, didn't get one of my recs and didn't tell me about it until a couple weeks ago. At that point, I had already heard from some other schools and decided to forget about the Sagehens.

Alas, it looks like we will have to pay > $20,000 wherever I go (excepting instate W&M tuition). If either of the Chrises (White and Frankel) know someone with clout in your respective financial aid offices... :roll:
Quizbowl- the sport of philosopher kings.
KRaney
Lulu

Post by KRaney »

Hey, I'm waiting on Princeton, too. Although with the crazy prices for out of state and private schools, I doubt I'd be able to afford anywhere but instate.

On that note, I have applied to and been accepted to: William & Mary, Mary Washington, Boston University and George Mason. I'm leaning toward GMU because they gave me a full ride... We'll see.

I have yet to hear from Harvard and George Washington as well...
Paragon1
Lulu

Post by Paragon1 »

Waiting on Princeton here as well, but I've got good news so far from Colgate, Tufts, WUSTL, and UVa, some of which have good QB programs, from what I understand.
Paragon1
Lulu

Post by Paragon1 »

...And on that note, I'll be at Dartmouth next year. Anyone know anything about quizbowl there, or is anyone else going there?
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

Paragon1, welcome to Dartmouth. Our program has been up and down, and we're in a tough region, but things are beginning to look up. Another solid freshman will make life a lot better. If you have any questions about Dartmouth in general, email me at [email protected].
barbary_pirate
Kimahri

Post by barbary_pirate »

princeton is quite a bit more generous than other ivies+(MIT/stanford)

generous alums
i guess

jz
ballsofsteele
Lulu

Post by ballsofsteele »

I just found out a few days ago that I'm in at UT-Knoxville, Virginia Tech, and UVA. Right now I'm kind of torn between Va Tech and UVA, but I think I'm going to make a decision after I make a visit to UVA. I'm really not sure if I want to play college bowl or not, though; I really think I'm going to have to see if I can fit it in once I've adjusted to my classes and all.
welhai
Lulu

Post by welhai »

Wait-listed to Princeton. (?!) This means that, in all likelihood, my decision is now between Williams, Dartmouth, and Swarthmore. Probably Williams / Swarthmore at this point.

Which is perhaps what my decision would have been anyway, barring one of those supergenerous financial aid offers.
Hydrant
Kimahri

Post by Hydrant »

Anyone going to Rice Owl weekend on April 16th and 17th?
Ill be there and thought it might be cool to say hi to other Quiz Bowlers
Booya!
TheFlamingLotus
Kimahri

Quiz Bowl @ Ole Miss

Post by TheFlamingLotus »

I'd like to do some type of academic competition at Ole Miss next year. But with Slade coming to Ole Miss I'd be lucky to be considered one of his "counterparts." He's just that good.
I sorta am on Madison Central's A-Team but I don't do too much... So I really do not know how much of an asset I can be to Ole Miss.
"Oh, well that explains the gravity."
-Kendrick Johnson
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

Lotus, are you Bob from Madison Central?
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
TheFlamingLotus
Kimahri

Yea

Post by TheFlamingLotus »

Yessir I am. See, that's what I'm talking about. Slade, with the amazing memory.
"Oh, well that explains the gravity."
-Kendrick Johnson
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

Actually, that's more of what I like to call luck. Anyway, see you in Oxford, Bob.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Sorry to reply to a topic from over a month ago, but since some members of the collegiate qb community are writing [fill in adjectives of your choice] messages about Georgia's program, I figured I'd revive that filament of the thread. Based on the messages in the Yahoo clubs forum, some readers of this thread, based on comments in this thread, appear to be under the impression that Georgia actively dissuades players from attending academic events.

Georgia does indeed have a qb team which likes to play academic tournaments. They lost their main core of players from 1999-2002, so they're in a rebuilding mode of sorts, but they do play academic tournaments. According to Robin Richards, their club president, the main problems they've had this year are (1) scheduling conflicts for those players who wished to attend academic tournaments and (2) frequent hosting of tournaments (such as the southeast NAQT SCT) which required team personnel to run things. The Georgia folks seem like nice guys, at least in a gangly quizbowler way, and I strongly suspect that academically-oriented players will have many opportunities to play in tournaments at UTC, GT, and elsewhere.

Some members of the program, like Robin, appear to have a tilt against past ACF tournaments (referring specifically to ACF regionals and nationals, I presume), but I'm sure that if members wish to play at these tournaments (at least regionals -- nationals could be a budget issue), then they'll be able to play. Unless the prospective freshmen qb players have been specifically told something to the contrary by those in charge at UGa, that should be the case. As noted on the other board, they did send teams to the NAQT ICT and to CBI Regionals, and Robin even traveled to St Louis to moderate in the ICT. They would have played in other tournaments if not for scheduling problems this year. Also, as noted on the other board, the bulk [fill in joke of your choice] of the trash players are alumni.

So in closing, unless the prospective freshmen have specifically been told something to the contrary by Robin and company, it is very highly unlikely that players would actually be dissuaded or prohibited from attending academic tournaments. That is all.

--Raj Dhuwalia, UF

P.S. While CBI is the least 'academic' of the three format, it does have a substantial amount of academic content. Georgia's performance in CBI Regionals was, at least statistically, among the top 3 or 4 in the nation. They didn't get into Nationals because they're in a region with Florida and Kevin Comer, but clearly they must have some academic strength to perform that well.
Nerd-Basher
Kimahri

Post by Nerd-Basher »

Does anyone know whether any of the following colleges have quizbowl teams: Kenyon (Ohio) College, College of Wooster (OH), Occidental (Cali.) College, Union (NY) College, Bowdoin (Maine) College, Colby (ME) College, Hamilton (NY) College or Kalamazoo (Mich.) College?

Thanks
- So how old are you anyways?
- 18, Heh, Heh... Allrighhhtt! Giggidy, Giggidy!
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

Nerd-Basher wrote:Does anyone know whether any of the following colleges have quizbowl teams: Kenyon (Ohio) College, College of Wooster (OH), Occidental (Cali.) College, Union (NY) College, Bowdoin (Maine) College, Colby (ME) College, Hamilton (NY) College or Kalamazoo (Mich.) College?

Thanks
The short answer for all is I haven't seen any of them at all on any results postings.

The better answer is use

http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac/maize/directory.html

next time - which has some contact information.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Nerd-Basher wrote:Does anyone know whether any of the following colleges have quizbowl teams: ...Occidental (Cali.) College...
Occidental has had a team in the past, though I haven't seen it in about two years; therefore I suspect that the person keeping the team afloat graduated or moved somewhere else.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

cvdwightw wrote:Occidental has had a team in the past, though I haven't seen it in about two years; therefore I suspect that the person keeping the team afloat graduated or moved somewhere else.
Wesley Matthews was the leader of that team both administratively and on the buzzer; however, they did have other players, so there may be some veterans hanging around who will help get something started.
ezubaric
Rikku

Post by ezubaric »

Matt Weiner wrote:Wesley Matthews was the leader of that team both administratively and on the buzzer; however, they did have other players, so there may be some veterans hanging around who will help get something started.
The last time Oxy had a team that competed was my frosh year, and so anyone there with Wesley will graduate this year if they haven't already (since Oxy is an undergraduate college and really try to get people out in four years). An there was only one person who wasn't a chair warmer that I remember.
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
cdbarker
Lulu

Re: Quiz Bowl @ Ole Miss

Post by cdbarker »

TheFlamingLotus wrote:I'd like to do some type of academic competition at Ole Miss next year. But with Slade coming to Ole Miss I'd be lucky to be considered one of his "counterparts." He's just that good.
I sorta am on Madison Central's A-Team but I don't do too much... So I really do not know how much of an asset I can be to Ole Miss.
My apologies for not replying to this sooner, and I would have done it in private but could not find a means to do so...

Two things here, which I am sure you have heard from other sources:
1). There is nothing wrong with coming into college without being a great player. If you are committed and make an effort to get better, you will see your game improve and will be an asset to the team quicker than you may realize. The greatest asset that any player can bring off the table is a desire to play, followed closely by a willingness to work to whatever end you wish to improve. This does not mean you have to devote every moment of your spare time to quiz bowl, but improvement is possible. Some of the best players in the nation right now were not phenoms coming out of high school, it was their diligence and desire to get better that drove them to the top.

2). As someone else mentioned, there are more ways to help a team than just your ability to answer questions. Internal organization, promotion of the team, logistical coordination, editing skill, etc. All of these things can get overlooked by players, but they are vital to the long-term success of any program.

So, long post short, if you want to play in college, you should play. If you find you don't like it, you don't have to continue playing. If you like the game, but you aren't as good as you want to be, working to get better does work, you may just need to have patience. The key is that you have the ability to make all of these decisions for yourself.

Best of luck to you.

Craig Barker
Michigan 1996-2000
cdbarker
Lulu

Post by cdbarker »

Nerd-Basher wrote:Does anyone know whether any of the following colleges have quizbowl teams: Kenyon (Ohio) College, College of Wooster (OH), Occidental (Cali.) College, Union (NY) College, Bowdoin (Maine) College, Colby (ME) College, Hamilton (NY) College or Kalamazoo (Mich.) College?

Thanks
Thanks to Mr. Paik (whoops earlier) for pointing out Maize Pages directory. I would also point you towards the Incoming Freshman Contact List at http://www.fraughtmachine.com/efcontact/. When you decide where you're going to end up for school, you can submit your info to the IFCL and it will alert anyone at the school who has signed up as the contact to your desire to play (or other players who also wish to play whom you could work with to form a new club.) While there are no assurances that it will work, it's a start.

Craig Barker
Michigan 1996-2000
Last edited by cdbarker on Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mps4a_mps4a
Lulu

Post by mps4a_mps4a »

ballsofsteele Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:33 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just found out a few days ago that I'm in at UT-Knoxville, Virginia Tech, and UVA. Right now I'm kind of torn between Va Tech and UVA, but I think I'm going to make a decision after I make a visit to UVA. I'm really not sure if I want to play college bowl or not, though; I really think I'm going to have to see if I can fit it in once I've adjusted to my classes and all.

I'd be a horrendous UVA student if I didn't say that choice is a no-brainer. Have you seen Tech??? And Blacksburg??? :D

But seriously, don't not do college bowl (or any extracurricular activity) because you're nervous about not having enough time to do everything. College is all about not having enough time. It's way better to get involved from the beginning in things your interested in.

Anyway, that concludes my wannabe tour guide diatribe. Good luck with your decision, though hopefully you've already made (the correct, non-Tech) one.

morgan
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

cdbarker wrote:

Thanks
Thanks to Mr. Bhan for pointing out Maize Pages directory. I would also point you towards the Incoming Freshman Contact List at http://www.fraughtmachine.com/efcontact/. When you decide where you're going to end up for school, you can submit your info to the IFCL and it will alert anyone at the school who has signed up as the contact to your desire to play (or other players who also wish to play whom you could work with to form a new club.) While there are no assurances that it will work, it's a start.

Craig Barker
Michigan 1996-2000
Mr. Barker, I am not Mr. Bhan. He would not enjoy being me being confused for him.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
cdbarker
Lulu

Post by cdbarker »

QuizBowlRonin wrote: Mr. Barker, I am not Mr. Bhan. He would not enjoy being me being confused for him.
My bad, went too quickly on that one, fixed and fixed.
Hydrant
Kimahri

Post by Hydrant »

So I am for sure going to Harvard.. gonna play me some Quiz Bowl there.. booya
Booya!
alch2
Lulu

Post by alch2 »

Well, I might as well give it a shot there too, Hydrant. I'll probably play for a few months and then drop out.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Man, Harvard's going to be good for years and years if they keep getting so many interested freshmen. If you guys didn't know, Harvard's one of the best young(er) teams in the country. Of course, they'll have us to contend with again next year, assuming ICT isn't at UZ-Harare (as I thoroughly expect it to be.)

MaS
donut
Kimahri

Post by donut »

i have been accepted to brown univ. and duke.......dont know which one to go too.....

any suggestions?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

http://www.studentsreview.com

It gives you an insight into how students there view their own campus.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

I've tried many a site similar to that studentsreview thing, but it really is not as helpful as a campus visit; visiting is the only real way to determine how you can like one school over another.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Wedge
Lulu

It'll break the bank, but...

Post by Wedge »

Georgetown for me.
And yes, a campus visit is the only real way to see what it's like.
KRaney
Lulu

Post by KRaney »

solonqb wrote:http://www.studentsreview.com

It gives you an insight into how students there view their own campus.
Oh gosh, that site scared the crap outta me... I just sent in my deposit and read all these bad things about my school on there.... but seriously, don't even pay attention to those sites. The only people who go on there are the complainers, not the happy students.

On that note, I'm going to George Mason next year... it's hard to turn down a full ride! :D
welhai
Lulu

Post by welhai »

And...I'll be at Swarthmore. Probably. I sent in my deposit.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

KRaney wrote:On that note, I'm going to George Mason next year... it's hard to turn down a full ride! :D
Not sure if you know this, but they used to have a fairly active team, so hopefully you can get something started. I'm not sure if any of the former players are still there, but you're in striking distance of frequent tournament host Maryland, sometime tournament host VCU, and the Philadelphia-New Jersey schools if you get ambitious.
KRaney
Lulu

Post by KRaney »

Matt Weiner wrote:Not sure if you know this, but they used to have a fairly active team, so hopefully you can get something started. I'm not sure if any of the former players are still there, but you're in striking distance of frequent tournament host Maryland, sometime tournament host VCU, and the Philadelphia-New Jersey schools if you get ambitious.
Yeah, I talked to Mr. Pickrell about it already, he gave me some good contact people so I'm seriously considering starting something up. It'd be a big job though, I'm sure! We'll see, thanks!