Richard Montgomery's Tourney (Rockville, MD) - April 17 '04

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Will you be attending the Rumble on the Pike?

Yes
45%
No
40%
Maybe
15%

Total votes: 20

HenryV
Kimahri

Richard Montgomery's Tourney (Rockville, MD) - April 17 '04

Post by HenryV »

Announcing Richard Montgomery High School's "Rumble on the Pike" Quiz Bowl Tournament...

WHAT: "RUMBLE ON THE PIKE" Quiz Bowl Tourney

WHERE: Richard Montgomery High School, in the heart of Rockville, MD

WHEN: April 17, 2004

WHO: 36 teams - Sign up now to secure your space!

COST: $40 for the first team; each team additional team will receive a $5 discount; $5 discount for each working buzzer system

CONTACT: [email protected] (Seth Samelson, Tourney director) or [email protected] (Mr. McKenna, RM coach)

REGISTER: Either go to the URL below, print and fill out the form and send it to RMHS, OR e-mail the two contacts with the information in the below URL

FORMAT: Visit: http://www.synthetic-time.com/semirando ... yflyer.pdf

Go to: http://www.synthetic-time.com/semirando ... yflyer.pdf
for all the details and to print a registration form
Set Your Buzzers To Stun
Seths
Lulu

Post by Seths »

[I posted a similar announcement a few minutes before, and MLafer removed it. This particular post is now without purpose. Cheers.]
Last edited by Seths on Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm the Dude! That's what you call me, you know...that or His Dudeness, Duder...El Dudarino, if you know, you’re not into that whole brevity thing…
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

I moved the other one before I read your post. Oh well. Looks like all of the relevant information is in this post. If not, let me know.
Marcel Duchamp
Lulu

Post by Marcel Duchamp »

WJ will be there with at least 1 team, i hope 2. Should be good practice for the taping the week after...
Zach Hommer, Coach Priestley Charter School
New Orleans, LA
Wildcat
Lulu

Post by Wildcat »

So State College, Richard Montgomery and potentially the University of Deleware will all be having a touri that weekend. These major tournis in the mid-atlantic all have to be in the same weekend?
mrblinux
Lulu

Post by mrblinux »

Blake will be there with at least one team, hopefully two. Unless I am mistaken, didn't Delaware move to April 3?
Seths
Lulu

Post by Seths »

Delaware's tournament did indeed move to April 3.
I'm the Dude! That's what you call me, you know...that or His Dudeness, Duder...El Dudarino, if you know, you’re not into that whole brevity thing…
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I'm short on student commitments, but I'm sure we'll be there.
shylar
Lulu

Post by shylar »

hammond will be there with at least two if not three teams. perhaps we will bring a boom box and play ride of the sneetches or eye of the lorax, or something like that....
Seths
Lulu

Post by Seths »

There's been some question about the format for the tournament, so I'll do my best to address those issues.

The first half of each game will consists of 5 categories of 5 toss-ups each. These will be shortish (3 lines in Word or so) but not buzzer races: each will have multiple clues in order of decreasing difficulty. The second round will be 10 longish (5-6 lines) pyramidal tossups with unrelated bonuses. Question difficulty is probably around the level of NAQT Invitational. Many among ye don't like biography toss-ups: by my count, only about 25% of the tossups we've written so far ask for real-life people. So, hurrah.

Anyway, here's who's signed up so far. I expect that ER will sign up soon. And can someone from TJ tell me if they're coming? Your coach gave us some indication that you all might at UVA. Thanks.

Hammond 2
Bullis 2
BCC 1
McLean 2
Blake 1
Walter Johnson 1
Edmund Burke 1
Blair 2
Churchill 2
Whitman 2
Paint Branch 2
Rockville 1

Questions? email me at [email protected]
Want to sign up? email our coach at [email protected]
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

We're definitely going, and we're opening this tourney to all members, so we'll probably send upwards of four or five teams, I think.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

Make that 5 or 6 TJ teams, so far 22 people have signed up I believe.
Wildcat
Lulu

Post by Wildcat »

Howard-Were you planning on signing up your team?
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I'd like to attend, but I'm still short on commitments. Unfortunately, it's the day after prom and I'm left with only one commitments and a few probablys. If I can turn the probablys into commitments, then I'll ask to see if they can add us, but at this time, I don't want to register and possibly take someone else's spot. In any event, our team will/would be far from our A team, and we're not very deep.
bigmac
Lulu

Post by bigmac »

Here is the updated list of registered teams. A few other teams (QO, ER, GDS, and Howard) have expressed interest , but we have yet to receive a final word on them. There is still space available.

TJ 6
Magruder 1
Damascus 1
Hammond 2 (or 3?)
Bullis 2
BCC 1
McLean 2
Blake 1
Walter Johnson 1
Edmund Burke 1
Blair 2
Churchill 2
Whitman 2
Paint Branch 2
Rockville 1

The field looks strong; the tourney should be a blast.[/quote]
RM coach
benji
Kimahri

Post by benji »

when should we get to Richard Montgomery for the tournament on Saturday?
bigmac
Lulu

Post by bigmac »

Add ERA and B, QO, and School Without Walls to the list posted above. Heck of a field. We are still waiting on GDS, but only because we have one spot remaining after a few eleventh hour cancellations. Blake B, Blair C, and WJ B will also be joining the party.

As all of the coaches should know after an email sent earlier this week, teams should register between 8 and 8:20. Donuts will be provided so as to make the hour seem later. The rules meeting is scheduled for 8:30 with play to begin at 9. Feel free to bring theme songs.

Unless we get some serious changes tomorrow, I will post tentative prelim brackets in the PM if anyone is interested.
RM coach
Wildcat
Lulu

Post by Wildcat »

Edit: sry.....real results posted