William R. King Memorial in Tuscaloosa, AL 9/5/09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
linaloki
Lulu

William R. King Memorial in Tuscaloosa, AL 9/5/09

Post by linaloki »

The University of Alabama is proud to announce its third annual 2009 William Rufus King Memorial Tournament for high-schools. The tournament will be using NAQT A-set questions. It shall take place on September 5th, 2009, in Tuscaloosa, AL, at the University of Alabama.

Please email me at [email protected] if your school is interested in attending. All of the details, in terms of driving directions and buildings, shall be sent out at a later time. Thank you, and we look forward to seeing all of Alabama's, and hopefully other state's, high-schools here at the Capstone.

This year, instead of sending out letters, we will be sending e-mails to the schools as invitations, and would request e-mails returned for official confirmation for attendance. The content should be as follows, though edits may come to add information on potential discounts.

Dear School:
The Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team is pleased to announce its second annual William Rufus King Memorial Tournament, to be held on Saturday, September 5th, 2009, at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

The Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team is hosting the William Rufus King Memorial Tournament again after its success the past two years. This tournament will provide an opportunity for students to visit the premier college in the state of Alabama. Also, the tournament presents an opportunity to raise awareness of a Quizbowl organization at the Capstone, which might interest students wishing to pursue scholars’ bowl on the collegiate level.

Not only will students be afforded the chance of visiting the beautiful campus at the University of Alabama, but they will also get to meet students from other high-schools/junior high-schools; and more importantly, they will get to compete in an academic scholars’ bowl competition.

This tournament is designed for players in high-school (grades 9-12) but we would welcome middle and junior high-school players as well. Providing that there are enough teams composed entirely of students in those respective divisions, we would offer separate divisional play, and awards exclusively for those students.

This tournament will feature A-set questions provided by National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). Also, teams that finish in the top 15% of the total field automatically qualify for the NAQT High-School National Championship to be held in 2010.

Coach and player meetings for the William Rufus King Memorial Tournament will be held in one of the newest buildings Alabama has to offer, Alston Hall. Match play will be held in the equally modern Bidgood Hall. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m., and match play starting at 9:00.

Interested schools should e-mail us with their intention of interest in attending at [email protected].
The entry fee for every team entered in the tournament is $70, and $60 for any subsequent teams entered from the same school.
Also, it is important to note that schools that attend are REQUIRED to bring at least ONE buzzer set with them, as we have very few buzzer systems in our possession. If you have a problem with bringing a buzzer set, please contact us and we can try to make other arrangements.

Confirmations for tournament attendance (with amount of teams indicated) MUST be received by August 28th, 2009, with a discount of $10 per team entered if we receive your confirmation by July 24th, 2009. Again, if you have questions or concerns, please contact us and we will do our best to help you.

To encourage early confirmation of attendance, we will be offering discounts on a first offered, first received basis, so far as we will need them. We will give $15 discounts for extra buzzer sets and $10 discounts for moderators. We may not require any extra buzzer sets or moderators, and we will attempt to contact anyone that offers either before the tournament if that becomes the case. If we do need them, however, those discounts will be available until we reach the quota we require.

We look forward to seeing all of you in September. May everyone have a safe and fun summer, and be ready to have some serious fun starting in the fall!

NOTE: The time has changed from the originally estimated 10 AM to 9 AM for the tournament start. Registration is still at 8:30 AM, though, and if need be, we will wait for other teams to arrive, but we hope to begin at 9.
Last edited by linaloki on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sean Randall
University of Alabama '11
President of AAQT 2009-10
[email protected]
linaloki
Lulu

Re: William R. King Memorial in Tuscaloosa, AL 9/5/09

Post by linaloki »

We've sent out the e-mails to the schools we have working e-mail addresses for. If you did not receive an e-mail, we may have the wrong address. You can e-mail us through the correct one at [email protected] and we'll make note in our database. Also, while we're fine with discussion and shows of interest on this forum, official confirmation must be sent by e-mail, and recall that the discounts for moderators and buzzers will be on a first come, as needed basis. I will attempt to periodically update the forum with a list of schools confirmed with their attendance as that information changes.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

The following is a list of schools that have shown interest or confirmed attendance and details.

As of 8/31/09
Hoover: 3 teams - 1 JV
ACDC (previously Scottsboro): 1 team
DAR: 3 teams - 1 JV
Brindlee Mountain: 3 teams - 1 JV
St. Andrew's Episcopal School: 2 teams - 1 JV
JM Tate HS: 1 team
Dorman: 3 teams - 1 JV
Russellville: 1 team
Alpharetta: 1 team
Holy Spirit: 1 teams
Indian Springs: 1 team
Alma Bryant: 1 team

Bryant High in Tuscaloosa has expressed interest.

JV Pool: 4 teams

I will update this list as we are told of interested schools. Please let us know, as we hope to have a great tournament this year, and we need teams to make that happen.
Last edited by linaloki on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Brindlee Mountain will be there. We will have at least 3 teams.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

DAR should have at least 2 teams at the tournament...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

Thank you. I'll update the list. Just be sure to send an e-mail to confirm team, buzzer, and moderator numbers.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

Just as a reminder, next Monday is the last day to confirm attendance and receive the discounts. Remember, we need to receive an e-mail detailing and confirming the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you will be bringing with you to the tournament. We can't give out the discounts accurately without this confirmation.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

linaloki wrote:Just as a reminder, next Monday is the last day to confirm attendance and receive the discounts. Remember, we need to receive an e-mail detailing and confirming the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you will be bringing with you to the tournament. We can't give out the discounts accurately without this confirmation.
You really need to give people until at least the second week of school... Most coaches won't see their teams until then.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

quizbowllee wrote:
linaloki wrote:Just as a reminder, next Monday is the last day to confirm attendance and receive the discounts. Remember, we need to receive an e-mail detailing and confirming the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you will be bringing with you to the tournament. We can't give out the discounts accurately without this confirmation.
You really need to give people until at least the second week of school... Most coaches won't see their teams until then.
You do have a point, but since the tournament occurs so early in the school year, that leaves little time for preparation. I will talk to my officers, though, and see what they think.

Also, I believe I didn't write correctly previously. The only discount up for early termination is the one we give actual teams. The buzzer sets and moderators will still give discounts as long as we have registration open.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

After consultation and consideration of the school year, I've decided to push back the registration deadline to Friday, August 28. The early registration date will be pushed to Friday, July 24. An e-mail about intended teams would be preferred for early registration, and an e-mail detailing confirmed team numbers, buzzers sets, and moderators will be required for the official registration, and discounts will only be given based on the e-mail we receive with regards to extra buzzers and moderators. I will edit the posts as necessary and send out another batch of e-mails.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Have y'all settled on a set yet, or did I miss an email somewhere along the way? I really need to know as I finish scheduling our tournaments for the fall. Thanks!
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Coach
they are using 87A which is the same as Kennesaw or that was the last I had heard from NAQT because I was trying to make it so some of the GA teams could make it to DAR this year...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

Correct. We were informed that, presumably, we would be given set 87A. It has been some time since I've discussed this with NAQT, but that is the most recent information I have. If a problem comes up, I'll be sure to contact NAQT as soon as possible.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

We will now be a PACE affiliated tournament.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

update on the field yet?
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Matthew D wrote:update on the field yet?
It looks like they're keeping it up to date here.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Any firm decision on whether there will be a JV division? I will have at least one JV team if you do.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

One of mine will be JV also
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

We can prepare a JV team division, should there be enough teams to show interest.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
acmagee
Lulu

Post by acmagee »

Andrew Magee
Vice President/Statistician
University of Alabama
[email protected]
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

This tourney was a significant improvement over the previous one, and very well-run. Nice work, AAQT.

The question set? Hmm. I'm a little leery when our first round starts with 8 powers out of 9 questions heard, even with two good teams. Maybe we're still calibrating for this year.

Dorman looks strong, as usual. I was a bit surprised by Alpharetta's performance--they played very well, and deserved second place. Big shout-out to DAR, too, for a very good day overall.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Thanks to Alabama for a great tournament, and congrats to Dorman on their win. The tournament was well-run, and getting ten rounds done by 4:15 was appreciated, especially for those of us with a long drive home. And I always enjoy the pizza lunch.

The question set was pretty easy, but it was an A-set, so I was expecting that.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I will have to say that this tournament was much better run that previous years and it did seem like there were some repeats and other problems with that A set.
Really wish we had the entire stats for the whole tournament not just the first half of the day.
Dorman looked strong
Hoover A looked strong even though they were missed two key players
Alpharetta looked very impressive when they played my JV team

Thanks Josh, they are getting stronger every tournament and I hope that it continues
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team