TWAIN X at UCLA Oct. 3

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rylltraka
Tidus

TWAIN X at UCLA Oct. 3

Post by rylltraka »

The UCLA College Bowl Club is pleased to announce TWAIN X for high school consumption. Subtitle forthcoming.

DATE: Saturday, October 3rd, 2009

PARKING: Parking is $9 at various lots throughout the UCLA campus. A map of UCLA is available at http://www.ucla.edu/map/. It lists all parking structures and building sites, but dining options are not included.

VENUE: TBA on the UCLA campus

SCHEDULE:
7:30 A.M. – 8:30 A.M.: Registration Period (All teams must be accounted for by 8:30 A.M. PST)
8:30 A.M. – 9:00 A.M.: Rules Meeting / Moderator Meeting
9:00 A.M.: Tournament Play

FOOD:
Breakfast: We will feed you.

Lunch: Lunch is available on-campus. Hours of Operation vary for each dining option, but Ackerman Union is definitely open during the weekend. Please note that Ackerman may not be the closest dining option to tournament venue.

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone who pays the entrance fee (or gets a club to do that for them) is eligible to play in this tournament. All players and substitutes-alternates must be a high school student (9th-12th grade).

FORMAT: NAQT Invitational Set IS-86 Twenty-question, untimed rounds will be played.
PRICING STRUCTURE:
Team Discounts
Base fee = $100 per team
-$5 for a fully-functional buzzer system (Must have four working buzzers on both sides)
-$10(n-1) multiple team discount, where n is the number of teams from
your school, for all n (-$10 second team, -$20 third team, etc.)

School-wide Discounts
-$20 New School Discount (must not have played in any competition sanctioned by NAQT between the current date and July 1, 2005.
-$10 for a moderator or staff member (The TD has the right to accept or reject the moderator and also reserves the right to withdraw the discount retroactive to payment.)
Minimum fee (per team) = $75

WARNING! If you cannot have payment by tournament date, please contact the TD with at least 24 hours notice. If you arrive without warning of delinquent payment to tournament, we will assess a $50 penalty to be paid immediately in addition to the regular payment, which must be received by us within ten business days.

Checks should be made out to "College Bowl Club of UCLA". Please do NOT change this wording. For reasons of financial security, if possible, please bring the check to the tournament rather than mailing it in advance.

The TDs for TWAIN X are Mik Larsen and Ian Drayer. The tournament cap will be set at 24 teams, but if demand is complemented by resources, we will consider expanding the tournament.

If you are planning to come, please e-mail Golran@ucla(dot)edu with:
1) Your school's name
2) Coach (or adult representative) name and e-mail address
3) The number of teams you are bringing
4) The number of buzzer systems and any other discounts you wish to validate

If you have any questions, please e-mail us.

Please keep yourself updated with more news as the tournament date approaches.
We hope to see you at TWAIN X on Sat., October 3, 2009

Thank You!

Mik Larsen, Ian Drayer
Tournament Directors, TWAIN X
Last edited by rylltraka on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Golran
Auron

Re: TWAIN X at UCLA Oct. 3

Post by Golran »

Field updates will go here:

Confirmed:
Rancho Bernardo (3)
Torrey Pines (2)
La Jolla (3)
Edison (2)
The Bishop's School in La Jolla (1)
Orange Lutheran (1)
Rancho Alamitos (1)
Arcadia (4)
Santa Monica (1)

Total of 18, still room for 6 more teams.
Last edited by Golran on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:16 am, edited 11 times in total.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Price is a bit high, isnt it?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

The price has actually been lowered, and the moderator discount increased, from last year's tournament. I'm not in a state to comment on average tournament prices.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Well I am, and the average entry cost for a high school tournament is between $50 and $75.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Plus the almost-$10 in parking and the obvious high gas prices in that state, and that's a lot for a team to pay.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Base fees: a lesson in how community action can prevent catastrophe

TWAIN IX (10/5/08): $110
CBCT IX (10/18/08): $125
Technophobia Jr. (10/25/08): $100
Baby Anteater X? (1/31/09): $80
Triton Bowl (2/21/09): $60
Carnal Embrace III (2/28/09): $80
BAIT (3/7/09): $80
NAQT State Champs (4/11/09): $75
SCIENCE! (5/16/09): $85

You will notice a rather large decrease in average base fee from Fall 2008 to Winter/Spring 2009; make of it what you will.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Also, poorly done and probably useless Excel scatterchart

Note that of the two tournaments with the lowest attendance, one had the highest base fee (CBCT). (the other one was ACE, which was probably because teams are wary of coming to a high school run tournament, even though it runs as smoothly, if not more, than most college tournaments here)

*edit to avoid doublepost* put down Arcadia for interested.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

can we get a field update for this?
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Field is updated above.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Put Arcadia down (*edit* as interested) for 3-4 teams. I'll try let you know by Wednesday a final number
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'm going to put a registration deadline on this of October 1st at 5:00 PM local time, or whenever I next check my e-mail after that.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

rylltraka wrote:PARKING: Parking is $9 at various lots throughout the UCLA campus.
UCLA Parking Rates & Fees Table wrote:Daily or Parking Area (gate sale) $10/entry
??
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

Responding to Dwight's post:

This number may have changed since last I checked.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

We're sending one
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

This post will be confirmed once I get the confirmation e-mail forwarded to me, but I believe we will be using Rolfe Hall. The meeting and registration may take place outside if the weather is beautiful, with a small breakfast (Juice and muffins or bagels) being provided.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I have just got confirmation that these rooms were the ones reserved, and so we will see everyone at Rolfe between 7:30 and 8:30 on Saturday. An e-mail is going out now to all the registered coaches.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I sent the following e-mail out to coaches on Tuesday but apparently few received it:
Hello to all!

Thank you all for registering for TWAIN. I would like to give some to the details for Saturday morning:

1) Rooms: The tournament will be contained in Rolfe Hall, with the opening meeting to be held either in Rolfe 1200 or just outside it. The entrance to this room is outdoors. Registration begins at 7:30 AM and concludes at 8:30 AM. A light breakfast will be served, consisting of juice and small pastries such as mini-muffins or mini-bagels. If there are any food allergies that we should know about please let me know.

2) Parking: Parking is available on campus for $10, and the easiest parking structure is parking structure 6, with an information kiosk on Westwood Boulevard. A map of the UCLA campus can be found at http://maps.ucla.edu/campus/ . For using a directions search site such as google maps use the destination address: 838 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA, United States.

3) For teams that are bringing moderators, if it is possible please bring a laptop to read off of. If that is not feasible we will print out a copy of the questions, but let us know ahead of time. We want to waste as few trees as possible. If you are planning to bring a moderator please confirm that they are able to come and let us know so that we know who to be expecting. If you do not let us know in advance we may not be able to accommodate the moderator discounts.

4) Format: As there are 18 teams registered, we plan to split into 3 brackets of 6 and play round robins. The top two from each bracket will advance to the championship bracket, next two to the middle bracket, and final two to the consolation bracket. Ties in record will be broken by points per game. To determine the champion the new brackets will play round robins excluding against the team played in the initial round robin. The standings for the champion will only be affected by opponents within the bracket. This format ensures 9 games for all teams. Prizes will be awarded to top finishing teams and individuals.

5) Lunch: Lunch will occur after round 5, and will last approximately 1 hour. Options on campus include Ackerman Union which has a Taco Bell, Carl's Jr. Sbarro's, Panda Express, and more.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact either myself at [email protected] or Mik at [email protected], or for anything going on the morning of the tournament call me on my cell at -removed-.

Sincerely,

Ian Drayer
Can those who did receive it the first time please let me know? This was not done through the list serv, so no problem there as far as this message goes. It was direct to the coaches and contacts who e-mailed me.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Thank you to all the teams that came, coming in first was Torrey Pines A, while second was Arcadia A. Also qualifying for HSNCT was Santa Monica A at 3rd. Full stats will be up within the week.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Hey, this tournament went really smoothly and was altogether extremely enjoyable. The moderating was at worst acceptable and at best totally awesome, and I don't remember a 10-round tournament in Southern California every finishing so early. Thanks to the UCLA people for doing such a good job.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

Agreed about the moderation, definitely high class. Still, I wish they'd have let us play out the 7-2 record tie with Arcadia- somewhat because it feels like the first round of round robin was ignored, but also because I want a rematch after a very good showing by both teams...
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

What happened was they were 8-1, not 7-2. We had misrecorded on our paper a loss for both you and Arcadia in the match between your teams, while they had a win.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

ah, that makes sense- thanks for the clarification
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

We apologize for the bad buzzers, and we'll try to get them replaced for the next tournaments.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Dude Love wrote:What happened was they were 8-1, not 7-2. We had misrecorded on our paper a loss for both you and Arcadia in the match between your teams, while they had a win.
Err...apparently not?
Irwin R Schyster wrote: If you decide stats that way, remember that La Jolla beat Arcadia, Arcadia beat SaMo and Torrey, Torrey beat Arcadia, (Edison beat Arcadia...), Torrey beat SaMo, etc.
La Jolla and Edison both beat Arcadia, so weren't they 7-2?
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

gyre and gimble wrote:
Dude Love wrote:What happened was they were 8-1, not 7-2. We had misrecorded on our paper a loss for both you and Arcadia in the match between your teams, while they had a win.
Err...apparently not?
Irwin R Schyster wrote: If you decide stats that way, remember that La Jolla beat Arcadia, Arcadia beat SaMo and Torrey, Torrey beat Arcadia, (Edison beat Arcadia...), Torrey beat SaMo, etc.
La Jolla and Edison both beat Arcadia, so weren't they 7-2?
overall, yeah, i think

but they based the seedings on record in the top bracket. so arcadia was 4-1 because edison was only in the middle bracket, and that one loss didnt count towards the playoffs.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Exactly as above I believe. When our statkeeper posts the stats I will be able to confirm this.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Oh, ok. Got it.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Our stats person has the flu, and she will post the stats when she feels better.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Stats can be found attached. One thing to not is that La Jolla C is in consolation bracket for the afternoon as opposed to middle. Individual awards were based on morning stats only. I will make changes and upload this when I get access to the SQBS raw data.
Attachments
attachments_2009_10_08.zip
Stats for TWAIN X
(40.79 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Stats are now available at http://naqt.com/stats/tournament-teams. ... nt_id=3115 . We look forward to seeing you at our next tournament.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Congratulations to Nationals qualifiers:
Torrey Pines A, Arcadia A, and Santa Monica A to both HSNCT and PACE NSC, and La Jolla A to PACE NSC, as we were gold certified!
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated