Colleges with active teams

Old college threads.
akinney
Wakka

Colleges with active teams

Post by akinney »

I'm a senior this year and I was wondering what schools had active college bowl teams? I'm not saying I'm necessarily going to participate but if I get bored in college I'd like something to be able to do. I know my own state school's (Kentucky) team is relatively dormant.
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Colleges with active teams

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

In states bordering yours, Louisville, the University of Illinois, Northwestern, University of Chicago, Illinois-Chicago, Wash U-St. Louis, St. Louis University, Truman State University, Missouri S&T, University of Missouri, Missouri State, DePauw, Ohio State, Virginia Commonwealth, Virginia Tech, George Mason University, University of Virginia, William and Mary, and Vanderbilt. If you are looking for teams other than those, I guess list where you're looking and we can let you know.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

It would probably be more useful for you to list the colleges that you are considering and then people can tell you whether they have active teams and, possibly, provide you with further information about those teams.

Cathy Hirsch
Coach
Central Gwinnett H.S.
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

Well, like I said, I am looking at Kentucky (if I go there I'll try to see what I can do to get the team back up and running). I am also looking at Xavier in Cincinnati. All the other schools really don't have a chance. I am not an exceptional student (really quite lazy), so I won't be going to Virginia or Vanderbilt. Are there any other schools in Ohio, Tennessee, Indiana, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas and Florida that have teams?
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

akinney wrote:I'm a senior this year and I was wondering what schools had active college bowl teams? I'm not saying I'm necessarily going to participate but if I get bored in college I'd like something to be able to do. I know my own state school's (Kentucky) team is relatively dormant.
Dude, come to UK. I can help you out with starting a team since I'll be at UK every other day until the middle of my senior year.
Sandy
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

I probably will end up at UK. What happened with them? Was there never really a team to begin with?
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

UK was a top tier team in the early 2000's and then people graduated.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

That's a shame.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

akinney wrote:Well, like I said, I am looking at Kentucky (if I go there I'll try to see what I can do to get the team back up and running). I am also looking at Xavier in Cincinnati. All the other schools really don't have a chance. I am not an exceptional student (really quite lazy), so I won't be going to Virginia or Vanderbilt. Are there any other schools in Ohio, Tennessee, Indiana, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas and Florida that have teams?
Yes, dozens. Check out any college results page for precisely this information!

As to the only other school you've actively volunteered: yeah, Xavier has no team I know of.
Andrew Watkins
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

akinney wrote:Well, like I said, I am looking at Kentucky (if I go there I'll try to see what I can do to get the team back up and running). I am also looking at Xavier in Cincinnati. All the other schools really don't have a chance. I am not an exceptional student (really quite lazy), so I won't be going to Virginia or Vanderbilt. Are there any other schools in Ohio, Tennessee, Indiana, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas and Florida that have teams?
No love for the state of Virginia?

From the top of my head.

Florida- Florida, Florida State
Georgia- UGA, GT, Berry,
North Carolina- UNC, Duke, NC Wesleyan, Davidson (?), Wake Forest
South Carolina- #19 USC, Wofford, #22 Clemson,
Alabama- Alabama, Samford,
Indiana- Notre Dame, DePauw,
Tennessee- UTC,
Ohio- OSU, Miami, Case Western,
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

akinney wrote:What happened with them? Was there never really a team to begin with?
Old UK webpage I can't seem to find wrote:[Kelly Mckenzie] reached his apogee during that summer, however, propelling his team to a win at Georgia Tech’s NATSSO, repeating his solo win at that summer's incarnation of the Moc Masters (he averaged 105 points per game at that tournament), winning another singles tournament at the Chicago Open, and - in what may have been his greatest quizbowl achievement - leading the team that captured the Chicago Open title (defeating a superteam of Andrew Yaphe and Zeke Berdechevsky to do so).
Same old UK webpage I can't seem to find wrote:What is easy to see, however, is the enormous jump he [Kelly Mckenzie] made between the skilled but unremarkable player he was in 1996 to the godhead he had attained by 2003, a status he attained entirely through his own efforts. Kelly is not only one of the best players ever to play ACF (though he was also very good at NAQT, leading the UKAT to a Sectionals win in 2001), but is also perhaps the single greatest self-made player who ever lived; by practicing, studying, and writing, he became a force of nature. If any player ever wonders how high he or she can climb through hard work, look upon what Kelly has wrought with admiration, and follow his example.
I've been told this webpage was written by Seth Kendall? Not sure. But yeah, UK was damn good before Kelly began playing Scrabble professionally.
Sandy
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Are The Maize Pages updated anymore?

(Speaking of North Carolina, you'll also see NC State and Winston-Salem State come out of the woodwork every once in a while. Given how Hoggard's been doing recently, I wouldn't be surprised to see UNC-Wilmington come up with a team in the next few years as well.)
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Well, I'm in the process of establishing a team here at WKU, and I could give you the whole recruiting pitch on why we deserve a look. But since you're more interested in leaving the state I can't really help you much.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

This is some good stuff. Thanks for that Sandy.

I noticed there were rankings by Clemson/Carolina. Is there a top 25 somewhere?
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

akinney wrote:I noticed there were rankings by Clemson/Carolina. Is there a top 25 somewhere?
This thread.
Inter et Inter wrote:Are The Maize Pages updated anymore?
I was wondering about this myself, and thinking that it might be a good idea to port the Maize Pages to the wiki so people can update their own contact information as it changes.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
OntarioQuizzer
Lulu

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

But yeah, UK was damn good before Kelly began playing Scrabble professionally.
I'd hesitate to refer to anybody, let alone Kelly McKenzie, as a professional Scrabble player.
Andy Saunders
formerly Brock University
(former) general helper, University of Guelph quiz bowl
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Sadly, "professional Scrabble player" is a far more sensical thing to say than "professional quizbowl player." Let's get to changing that.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
South Carolina- #19 USC, Wofford, #22 Clemson,
Also us (Furman.) The program's continuity was shaky for a while, but we did a ton of midseason recruiting, so I'm virtually certain that there will still be a team after I graduate next spring. College of Charleston and North Greenville also have programs that I know little about.
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
But yeah, UK was damn good before Kelly began playing Scrabble professionally.
I'd hesitate to refer to anybody, let alone Kelly McKenzie, as a professional Scrabble player.
There are borderline cases where the term might be appropriate. In my experience, most people just say "competitive" or "tournament" Scrabble players, to avoid ambiguity.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Come to MSU! (it was worth the try).
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

nalin wrote:Come to MSU! (it was worth the try).
Come to UBC! (I'll be more inclined to try to restart the club if you do.)
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

akinney wrote:I'm a senior this year and I was wondering what schools had active college bowl teams? I'm not saying I'm necessarily going to participate but if I get bored in college I'd like something to be able to do. I know my own state school's (Kentucky) team is relatively dormant.
The public database on NAQT.com would likely offer you some help in finding active clubs. I'm not sure how often it's updated, but it shows that the following Kentucky post-secondary institutions have had active quizbowl programs at some point (quick-recall or otherwise):

Big Sandy C&TC*
Bluegrass C&TC*
Centre College
University of the Cumberlands*
Eastern Kentucky University*
Elizabethtown C&TC*^
Georgetown College*
Henderson CC*
Jefferson C&TC*
University of Kentucky^
University of Louisville
Murray State University*
Pikeville College*
Somerset CC*^
Transylvania University*

*ostensibly only active in quick-recall
^possibly inactive
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Right now Louisville and Centre are the only KY schools with actual functioning programs that compete in quizbowl. Western Kentucky will join those two either next semester or next year.

Transylvania, Georgetown, Pikeville, Eastern Kentucky, Murray State, Pikeville, Ohio Southern (which is in Northern KY...), University of the Cumberlands, and several community colleges have quick recall teams. They compete in the Kentucky Collegiate Quick Recall League (I think UofL is in it too) and last season had a tournament on NAQT questions. The problem there was that they were high school IS questions, and even worse was that it was an A-set.

In short, if you want to play quizbowl in KY you have WKU, UofL, and Centre to choose from. However, I think if you went to UK you would be able to get a team started there with ease. I think there are a few former quizbowlers at UK and I'm sure there are plently of people who did GovCup and other things who would be interested in any kind of academic competition if given the oppurtunity.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

Apparently Student Organizations took down the UKAT page, but yes, I wrote that.

If you do decide on Lexington, let me know how I can help. A word of advice: the best way to get interest in a new or revived team there is to go to the Honors Program, since pretty much all the good HS players who go to UK go through there.

Edit: signature didn't attach the first time.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008