College Heights Academic Tournament @ WKU (3/26/11)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

College Heights Academic Tournament @ WKU (3/26/11)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The WKU Academic Competition Club will be hosting the first annual College Heights Academic Tournament (CHAT) on March 26th, 2011. This will be a tournament aimed at academic teams in Kentucky and Tennessee, although we'll welcome any team who wants to come here to play and hasn't seen the questions. Once again, I will be serving as Tournament Director with Brian Riddle serving as Assistant Tournament Director/Stats Coordinator. Feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions, concerns, or advice. We'll be sending out information to schools (along with a registration form that can be used as an invoice) soon.

Location: Cherry Hall, Western Kentucky University (Bowling Green, KY)

Questions: We are mirroring this year's GSAC set, written by Maggie Walker's Governor's School of VA. More information on that could be found here.

Fee: $70 per team. There will be a $10 discount for every staffer you bring. I strongly encourage teams to take advantage of that, because we can use all the help we can get, and the more staffers teams bring, the larger the field can be. Also, every school that attends must bring a buzzer system. If you bring 3 or more teams, we request you bring two.

Payment: We would prefer you pay on the day of the tournament, rather than sending a check ahead of time. We will accept cash or check, and we can accept purchase orders I think. All checks should be made out to the Academic Competition Club.

Format: We will have a pool play format (probably pools of 4, 5, or 6 depending on field size) and will rebracket into another set of pools in the afternoon that are based on performance in the morning. This format is the same basic one we used at the Hilltopper Invitational.

To register, coaches can e-mail me at [email protected]
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Coach K
Wakka

Re: College Heights Academic Tournament @ WKU (3/26/11)

Post by Coach K »

Danville is interested Nick.
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School
Faiyad
Wakka

Post by Faiyad »

I'm not fully sure, but, we probably won't attend.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15
ermaxfield
Lulu

Post by ermaxfield »

Station Camp would be very interested in this tournament as well.
Emaline Maxfield
BYU Class of 2015

---
"Quiz bowlers have good ear-to-hand coordination." --PeterPanda Jiang
"I hired you to help me start a war. It's a very prestigious line of work with a long and glorious tradition."
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Would teams considering attending CHAT rather this tournament stay on March 26th, or would March 19th work better for them?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Coach K
Wakka

Post by Coach K »

The 26th works better for us.
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

We might go if it was on the 19th. We would have to decide between this and GLARC if it were the 26th.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Post by Ras superfamily »

I could talk to my team/coach about this tournament if it's on the 19th
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Either date would work for us.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

A little insight into the process:

The weekend of March 25-26th is the Tennessee State Quizbowl Championships, so we'd have no attendance from south of the border if we did this on March 26th. However, having a workable date for Kentucky teams will take first precedence over any out-of-state teams. If moving it to the 19th would not reduce attendance from teams in KY, we will attempt to do that because we would seemingly increase participation from Tennessee and Ohio. If it would affect attendance by Kentucky teams, we'll stay on the current date.

We would still be interested in hearing from other teams though, so I'm just going to leave this open for discussion for a while before making any decisions.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
maged
Lulu

Post by maged »

I'm pretty sure either day would work for Ballard
Maged Saeed
University of Kentucky '15
Ballard '11
ermaxfield
Lulu

Post by ermaxfield »

Any date but the 25th--as you mentioned above we have the TN States that day.
I think the 19th would work out best for our team, but if the 26th works better for other teams, then I can talk to my coaches/team about it and see what we'll do.
Emaline Maxfield
BYU Class of 2015

---
"I hired you to help me start a war. It's a very prestigious line of work with a long and glorious tradition."
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Manual is now very interested.
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Joe N wrote:We might go if it was on the 19th. We would have to decide between this and GLARC if it were the 26th.
While we would love to have you, this is the same question set as yesterday's tournament at New Trier which you attended.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Hilltopper22 wrote:
Joe N wrote:We might go if it was on the 19th. We would have to decide between this and GLARC if it were the 26th.
While we would love to have you, this is the same question set as yesterday's tournament at New Trier which you attended.
Yeah, sorry about that. I wasn't planning on going to New Trier when I made that post.

EDIT: I won't talk to my teammates about the questions, so if you're OK with it they might go without me, but I have my doubts that my coach would want to.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

It seems like the 26th works better for Kentucky teams, so the tournament will stay on that date.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

A little update on this:

I'm currently going through the process of securing rooms for this, and assuming some meetings go right I'll be able to start updating this thread with logistical information and sending e-mails out to coaches of registered, interested, and prospective teams by the end of next week.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Sorry, but we're no longer interested. We're going to the Ohio tournament on the BATE set that day instead.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Hilltopper22 wrote:A little update on this:

I'm currently going through the process of securing rooms for this, and assuming some meetings go right I'll be able to start updating this thread with logistical information and sending e-mails out to coaches of registered, interested, and prospective teams by the end of next week.
Yeah this probably isn't going to happen by the end of this week, the potential meetings I was referring to did not go well (read: they wouldn't even see me) so we've moved on to Plan B on room reservation. We will find a place on WKU's campus to host this though, and I will let everyone know as soon as that happens.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

This tournament will be taking place in Cherry Hall on WKU's campus. I will be sending out a general informational e-mail to see how many teams are interested in the next few days. If you wish to register, please e-mail me at [email protected]

In addition, we are looking for staffers! We strongly encourage teams to take advantage for the $10 discount you get for bringing a staffer. Also, we would love to have staffers come from other sources. We'll provide breakfast and lunch for those who help us, regardless if they are volunteers or brought by a team.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Field Update (As of 3/21)

Adair County A
Adair County B
Danville A
Danville B
Dunbar A
Dunbar B
Dunbar C
Edmonson County
Grayson County A
Grayson County B
Justice League (TN)
Manual A
Manual B

Teams: 13

That's the current field count, but I know a few other schools have expressed interest and we're holding out hope that more registrations will come in soon. We have rooms for up to 24 teams, although unless teams provide staff we might not be able to hold more than 18. To register, just let me know via e-mail or this board that you will be attending and let me know how many teams and staffers your school will be bringing. We're going to lock the field one week from today, so please let us know by next Thursday if you're coming.
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

How are you doing on staff? My roommate and I thinking of road-tripping to Louisville/Nashville/Memphis/other places for our spring break, and (though it's doubtful) I would be willing to try and convince him to make us stop through Bowling Green on Saturday.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

alexdz wrote:How are you doing on staff? My roommate and I thinking of road-tripping to Louisville/Nashville/Memphis/other places for our spring break, and (though it's doubtful) I would be willing to try and convince him to make us stop through Bowling Green on Saturday.
I think we're doing fine on staff at the moment, but we'd be fine with you coming to help out if you want to.

On an unrelated note, we're thinking of doing something a little out of the ordinary. This set isn't powermarked that we know of, so we're thinking of eliminating negs as well. The idea behind this is that without powers, negs are a little unneccessary. I know there have been plenty of debates over the existance of the neg over the years, but it's not very popular in our club and we're seriously thinking about doing away with it. Would anybody attending have an objection to this?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
ermaxfield
Lulu

Post by ermaxfield »

I have no objections to eliminating the neg for this tourney. As you stated, without powers the neg would be a bit unnecessary.
This is how UTC March 5th went--no negs or powers--and it ran smoothly.
Emaline Maxfield
BYU Class of 2015

---
ermaxfield
Lulu

Post by ermaxfield »

Not sure if this was addressed above--but will the bonuses be bounced?
Emaline Maxfield
BYU Class of 2015

---
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

ermaxfield wrote:Not sure if this was addressed above--but will the bonuses be bounced?
The bonuses will not bounce back for this tournament. And on the subject of negs, it is still under discussion but is nearing a conclusion. Right now we're planning on eliminating them as long as people don't object. That decision will be final on Friday, so if people have a problem with that we'd really like to hear your opinion by then.

I have sent out a logistical e-mail to the contact for each team; if you have not recieved it please e-mail me so I can send it to you. Also, we are stuck at 13 teams right now and it'd be awesome if that number changed. There is really no perfect format for 13 teams, and we would really like to see more teams register. They may do so by e-mailing me or posting in this thread by 11:59 PM CDT on Thursday.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Coach K
Wakka

Post by Coach K »

Hilltopper22 wrote:
ermaxfield wrote:Not sure if this was addressed above--but will the bonuses be bounced?
The bonuses will not bounce back for this tournament. And on the subject of negs, it is still under discussion but is nearing a conclusion. Right now we're planning on eliminating them as long as people don't object. That decision will be final on Friday, so if people have a problem with that we'd really like to hear your opinion by then.

I have sent out a logistical e-mail to the contact for each team; if you have not recieved it please e-mail me so I can send it to you. Also, we are stuck at 13 teams right now and it'd be awesome if that number changed. There is really no perfect format for 13 teams, and we would really like to see more teams register. They may do so by e-mailing me or posting in this thread by 11:59 PM CDT on Thursday.
Danville may actually be able to help you in a suboptimal way Nick. It looks like we might have to drop one of our two teams. I'll let you know for sure later today once I talk to a couple of our JV kids.
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

We will not have our full team for this event, but it should still be enjoyable.
Looks like a nice field.

We have decided to move a couple of our B-team members up onto the A-team, so don't expect B to be very strong at all.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Coach K wrote:
Hilltopper22 wrote:

Danville may actually be able to help you in a suboptimal way Nick. It looks like we might have to drop one of our two teams. I'll let you know for sure later today once I talk to a couple of our JV kids.
Any update on this?

Also, if Danville drops their B team we're probably just going to lock the field (a bit early) at 12 teams. However if they keep their team in, we're willing to offer significant reductions in the entry fee for anyone willing to sign up as the 14th team.

EDIT: Now for a bit of good news: Since we don't have a very large field, we are doing pretty good on staff right now. Hopefully this will allow our tournament to run very quickly.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Coach K
Wakka

Post by Coach K »

Hilltopper22 wrote:
Coach K wrote:
Hilltopper22 wrote:

Any update on this?

Also, if Danville drops their B team we're probably just going to lock the field (a bit early) at 12 teams. However if they keep their team in, we're willing to offer significant reductions in the entry fee for anyone willing to sign up as the 14th team.

EDIT: Now for a bit of good news: Since we don't have a very large field, we are doing pretty good on staff right now. Hopefully this will allow our tournament to run very quickly.
We're only going to be able to field one team. Sorry for the late drop on you all Nick.
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Field Update (As of 3/24)

Adair County A
Adair County B
Danville
Dunbar A
Dunbar B
Edmonson County
Grayson County A
Grayson County B
Justice League (TN)
Manual A
Manual B
Marshall County

Teams: 12
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Congratulations to DuPont Manual High School's A Team for winning the first College Heights Academic Tournament at WKU. Manual cleared the field by going undefeated in the prelims and playoffs, recording a total record of 10-0. Both Manual A and runner up Dunbar A decided to forego an advantaged final, thus meaning the tournament ended at 4 PM.

The Top 4 were:

1) Manual A
2) Dunbar A
3) Adair A
4) Grayson A

The Top 10 prelim scorers:

1) Luke Maupin, Adair A
2) Scott Blain, Grayson A
3) Nick Neuteufel, Manual A
4) Emaline Maxfield, Justice League
5) Idrees Kahloon, Dunbar A
6) Meghamsh Kanuparthy, Manual A
7) Jacob Alexander, Edmonson
8) Ethan Robinson, Danville
9) John Blankenship, Marshall
10) Helen Fu, Dunbar A

I would like to thank all of the teams who attended and we hope to see you all again at future WKU tournaments. If anybody has any suggestions to improve future tournaments we will definitely be willing to accept them. I felt that things ran smoothly today but I want to be even better for the next time. I would especially like to thank Manual and Edmonson for helping us on the staffing situation, as well as the "Justice League" team. On a more personal basis, I would like to thank Brian Riddle for doing stats and making sure in multiple other ways that this tournament did not suck. I would also like to thank Cole Phelps, Jake Moore, Tommy Graven, Chris Fields, Todd O'Bryan, Christian Johns, Kenton Jetton, Terrell Maxfield, Jason Martin, and Evan Bemus for staffing today.

Brian should be along with full stats later. We hope everyone enjoyed CHAT I and hope to see everyone that was here today back in the future.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Brian_ECHS
Lulu

Post by Brian_ECHS »

Stats are finished probably faster than Nick realized.
http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Brian Riddle
Edmonson County High School '09
Western Kentucky University
Edmonson County High School Assistant Coach
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I would like thank Maggie Walker for writing the GSAC set. Everyone seemed to generally approve of the questions, and we were happy to use them for our tournament. The set has been posted on the packet archive:

http://quizbowlpackets.com/archive/GSACXVIII/

Once again, I would like to thank everyone for attending CHAT. We hope to see everyone back at WKU for Hilltopper Invitational this fall, the date should be announced in about a month.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Is there any chance that this tournament will recieve Gold Certification?
I say this because we are very interested in attending NSC, but the field is nearly full.
Last edited by Scott on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

grayson77 wrote:Is there any chance that this tournament will recieve Gold Certification soon (if at all)?
I say this because we are very interested in attending NSC, but the field is nearly full.
If you haven't earned a bid, you can apply for a wild card spot.
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

dtaylor4 wrote:
grayson77 wrote:Is there any chance that this tournament will recieve Gold Certification soon (if at all)?
If you haven't earned a bid, you can apply for a wild card spot.
We will probably do that.
Thanks for the reminder.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

PACE Website wrote:Gold-certified tournaments are affiliated tournaments which offer all teams at least seven games, use varsity-level questions deemed “good” by the PACE Certification Committee, and have at least two teams in attendance likely to finish in the top half of the NSC.
Everyone got 10 games and the questions were good enough that 3 tournaments using GSAC were certified platinum, so it comes down to whether or not PACE feels that Dunbar and Manual are good enough to finish in the top half of the NSC. I personally feel that they are (I also think Adair probably could and that Grayson, Dunbar B, and Danville would have a shot) but that is only my opinion and the final decision is PACE's to make.
Nicholas C
KQBA member