NAQT SCT - Region 11 @ Missouri State

Old college threads.
alexdz
Rikku

NAQT SCT - Region 11 @ Missouri State

Post by alexdz »

Preliminary Announcement in compliance with host requirements:

Greetings, everyone! My name is Alex Dzurick, and I am the tournament director for the 2011 NAQT Sectional Championship Tournament. This year's SCT will be held at Missouri State University in Springfield, MO, on Saturday, February 5, 2011. As the Academic Challenge Coordinator for ACUI Region 11, I am pleased to serve as this year's TD. ACUI is the Association of College Unions International, and we have recently partnered with NAQT to promote academic competition at the collegiate level. Your school does not need to be a member of ACUI for you to compete.

Part of my goal in my ACUI duties is to increase the number of teams who will attend our SCT. We strongly encourage all teams in Region 11 (Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska) to attend, as well as teams from Arkansas and other neighboring states that would find Springfield convenient. ACUI and NAQT policy allows for a team to always attend their “home” sectional, and teams may enter a neighboring sectional if the tournament location is closer. For reference, this year's tournament in Arkansas' home region will be at Rice University in Houston, TX, and for most northern Arkansas teams, Springfield is indeed much closer.

At this point, I am looking to gauge each school's interest in bringing teams to the SCT. If you think you may be interested in attending, even if you are unsure, please let me know. Simply email alex [at] dakdillon (dot) com with the following:

How many teams you think you can bring, and which division(s) they might fall under (ask if you are unsure)
Whether or not you think you can bring along any buzzers, timers, or staffers

Qualified tournament staff is one of the most important parts of running this tournament, so if you have access to any staff, please be sure to let me know. You do receive a discount, so it is something to consider. Clubs at ACUI institutions should contact their unions offices and see if any ACUI staff members are willing to staff. Any staffer will need to be approved by myself before the discount will be issued. (There are certain requirements that I must follow in approving staff, including minimum questions read per round.)
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
alexdz
Rikku

Re: NAQT SCT - Region 11 @ Missouri State

Post by alexdz »

FEE STRUCTURE
First team base fee: $120
Second (and subsequent) team base fee: $100
Schools that have not attended or hosted an SCT in the last two years: -$30 per team
Fully functioning* buzzer system: -$5 each (*Must work for at least 8 players)
Teams traveling over 200 miles one-way (as defined by Google Maps): -$10
Experienced staffer (approved by the TD): -$25

Minimum fee: $70 ($50 for new teams)

Registration closes: 1/31/11
(If this date will be a problem please contact me ASAP.)

All-star eligibility: 120 or more tossups heard
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Post reserved for field updates over the coming weeks.

Official registrations:

Division I
Arkansas-Little Rock
Missouri S&T A
Mizzou A
Pittsburg State
Truman State A
WUSTL A

Division II
Arkansas
Fort Hays State
Harding
Kansas State
Missouri S&T B
Missouri Valley
Mizzou B
Truman State B
Truman State C
WUSTL B
WUSTL C
Last edited by alexdz on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

The field post above has been updated to reflect new official registrations, and also to add those schools who have indicated that they plan to register by the deadline but are waiting for confirmation on team makeup, etc.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Might be worth reminding the teams that they should go ahead and register; they are free to adjust rosters at any point before the tournament starts.

(Unless the worry is "we don't yet know if our grad student is playing", in which case carry on.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I'm told that FHSU is waiting for confirmation from NAQT on whether their students are eligible (apparently they attend this program: http://www.fhsu.edu/kams/). Kansas State is indeed waiting to hear about a grad student, and WUSTL is simply preoccupied with running WUHSAC this weekend to finish registering all their teams. Otherwise everyone else is actually registered.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Slight correction: KSU's grad student will be staffing, but they're checking to see if they have enough for 2 teams.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
xaturo
Kimahri

Post by xaturo »

So I sort of just registered our team for this.... sorry I was so last minute.
Eric Carter
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Not to worry - deadline isn't until Monday. We look forward to seeing you there!
Alex Dzurick
====
====
cozort
Kimahri

Post by cozort »

Just wondering do we have a definite starting time yet? it is good to see so many teams it looks like it should be a good tournament. Does anybody know what happened to Truman State?. I look forward to seeing everyone next week.

User was warned for having an incomplete signature.
John Cozort
Potosi 2008
Mineral Area 2010
Missouri Valley 2013
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I would like to start gameplay no later than 9:30, so I plan to start the team meeting around 8:30...if there are delays, that leaves us some wiggle room to start by 9:30.

And I have contacted Truman multiple times and heard nothing back.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Truman is planning on coming as far as I know. I don't know why they have been so difficult to pin down. I will find out about this and let you guys know.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
cozort
Kimahri

Post by cozort »

We can still change our rosters after registration is closed correct?
John Cozort
Potosi 2008
Mineral Area 2010
Missouri Valley 2013
Important Bird Area

Correct. Feel free to update your rosters at any time before play begins.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Teams in this region should be aware that I will be monitoring travel conditions closely over the coming week. (Not that I'll have anything much more exciting to do while cooped up in this snowpocalypse in Snolumbia.)

This is the official ACUI cancellation policy, but I'm unsure of its implications for NAQT. Could someone from NAQT comment? Since we would HAVE to reschedule, when would an appropriate date be? I know that personally, the following Saturday is a rather large tournament at Mizzou that many of the planned SCT staff has committed to staffing.

ACUI Weather & Emergency Cancellation Policy
In the event that there is any inclement weather or emergency, the (program name here) may be
cancelled or rescheduled. If there is a delay or cancellation, it will be posted on the (program name
here) website. Event organizers will attempt to contact everyone individually, however this may not
be possible with high attendance. If the event is unable to be postponed, registrants will be eligible for
a refund. If the event is postponed and the participant is unable to attend on the rescheduled date,
registrants will be eligible for a refund or substitutions will be permitted.

If the event is not cancelled, but individuals experience travel delays, changes to the program schedule
are at the discretion of the event coordinator. If experiencing a travel delay, participants must
follow the emergency contact procedures established for the event to provide updates and discuss
accommodations.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
Important Bird Area

Preferred snow makeup dates are either February 12th or February 19th. (the 26th is ACF Regionals and dates in March would begin interfering with everyone's ICT travel plans.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Final (hopefully) field list above.

Also, this tournament is still looking for staff, so if you or someone you know is available to be at Missouri State on Saturday, please have them contact me at the email linked to on this board.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Well, the weather situation in Missouri and the surrounding area isn't great, to say the least. We're literally under blizzard conditions.

I hate to not be able to say anything more definite, but right now we're monitoring the weather conditions around the area. If postponement is necessary, teams will be notified as soon as possible.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

If it's canceled, would we even be able to get rooms at MSU on replacement dates at such short notice?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Charlie, I'd be working with people at ACUI, NAQT, and Missouri State to make sure we could get space and everything. I would hope something would be available, even if it was less conveniently situated. If not, there is always the possibility of moving to somewhere else, though the only other place even remotely close to centrally located based on the teams signed up now is Pittsburg State.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
orangecrayon
Wakka

Post by orangecrayon »

Alex,

For what it's worth, since yesterday, westbound I-44 from Tulsa to the Missouri state line is closed thanks to snow and there is no access to eastbound I-44 in the Tulsa area due to assorted vehicles getting stuck on all of the on- and off-ramps (including the snow plows, sand trucks and salt trucks).

That may change between now and Friday, but those of us down here in Oklahoma aren't supposed to see any substantial thawing or improvement in the roads until Friday or Saturday.

(Full disclaimer: I am not speaking on behalf of TU, OSU or any other team. Am just an old hack who still reads at their tournaments and checks in on the boards occasionally.)
"And I dream I'm on vacation/'Cause I like the way it sounds/It's the perfect occupation for me."

Lenzy Krehbiel-Burton
OSUQB president emerita
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I've heard from someone in Springfield who says conditions are still far from good in the area. At Mizzou, we were closed yesterday and today, and will be again tomorrow.

I'm inclined to say this: If Missouri State University does not hold classes on Friday, then the tournament will be postponed. Other conditions may also force us to postpone, such as if a large amount of teams cannot travel to the tournament site due to the inclement road conditions.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
xaturo
Kimahri

Post by xaturo »

Fayetteville is closed again tomorrow (Thursday). And we are on the edge of the icegeddon, so I can't imagine what its like further north. I shall aspire to arrive at the tournament, but I don't know how many of the rest of the team will be willing to trek through this frozen hell.
Eric Carter
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR
orangecrayon
Wakka

Post by orangecrayon »

They've already sent in info to the necessary folks, but the folks in Stillwater asked me to post on here that they won't be able to make it Saturday if it's still on. The roads are just too treacherous and not enough of them have four-wheel drive vehicles that could handle the snow. That, and as an added bonus, with the way their hotel's cancellation policy is worded (no, I don't know where they're staying), their window to cancel their reservation without having to pay anything was rapidly closing.
"And I dream I'm on vacation/'Cause I like the way it sounds/It's the perfect occupation for me."

Lenzy Krehbiel-Burton
OSUQB president emerita
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I have received OSU's cancellation, and am currently in the process of investigating whether or not a postponement to the 19th would be a better solution for all teams involved. The 12th would be nearly impossible to staff, as much of our moderating crew will be working a high school meet at Mizzou that day.
Alex Dzurick
====
====

Columbia is basically as bad as it gets for this storm, and it seems like we'll have things cleared by Friday, so I would advise teams on the fence to wait it out before canceling since there isn't supposed to be any more snow and it's pretty sunny.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
cozort
Kimahri

Post by cozort »

Considering we are right down I-70 from Columbia it is pretty bad here also, so i would say we are on the fence, but if we can dig our automobiles out we should find a way.
John Cozort
Potosi 2008
Mineral Area 2010
Missouri Valley 2013
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

It seems, at this point, like holding the region 11 tournament this weekend is still a go for most teams. We may lose a few (in fact, already have) but a majority of teams and staff would prefer this weekend. Unless I hear otherwise today and say so, please plan on coming to Springfield this weekend!
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Oklahoma State A/B/C, Tulsa, and WUSTL D have canceled since the last update.

Mizzou is able to field a D1 team after all, so at the moment we are looking at 6 teams in D1 and 11 in D2.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

UALR has dropped due to travel concerns. That makes us 5 in D1 and 11 in D2.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
KGeee
Wakka

Post by KGeee »

We want to thank MIssouri and Harding (very generous) for working with us to get us registered for this tournament. A near-wreck caused us to reconsider the trip.
Kyle Gregory
Langston University '09
UALR Law '12
University of Oklahoma College of Law Visiting Student 2011-2012
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

As I've told people, I'm still alive and have all my hair, so there were no major problems today!

With 5 teams in Division I and 11 teams in Division II, we were able to run all of our rounds and be done by about 6:20, which isn't too far behind considering the weather situation this morning.

I don't have the full stats with me (I'm a Mac user so I had to borrow a Windows on which I couldn't access the internet to mail them to myself). I can tell you that WUSTL A won Division I and WUSTL C won Division II.

When full stats are available, they will be posted on NAQT.com.

I want to thank all the teams who signed up to play this weekend and all the staffers who agreed to moderate and scorekeep. Special shoutouts go out to Phil George, who was my eyes-on-site during planning stages and helped to recruit staff, and also to Jeremy Schenk and Thomas Lane from the Plaster Student Union at MSU, who not only both staffed the tournament but also provided pizza for all the staff for lunch and secured our rooms and a printer as well. ACUI Region 11 is a great group of people to work with, and I think we can expect a great relationship to continue in this region for a while.
Alex Dzurick
====
====

Division 1 stats - http://results.scobo.net/CharlieDees/Region11SCTD1
Division 2 stats - http://results.scobo.net/CharlieDees/Region11SCTD2

Note that in Division 2, the format was a full round robin, followed by teams being split into smaller brackets for the last 3 games. Harding, Wash U B, and Arkansas had to play a half game tiebreakers for 2 spots in the top bracket. Not counting the half games, Mizzou and harding tied for 2nd in record, Wash U B got 4th.

alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Other notes on stats:
In D1, it looks like I forgot to enter the two forfeits from WUSTL A over Truman A and Pitt State. After clinching the title, they decided to head out early (why? no one knows.) and agreed to forfeit those matches. It ended up working out that Truman A needed to face Pitt State in round 15 anyway, so we played that game in Round 14 concurrently with the S&T/Mizzou game.

In D2, Charlie is right. Most teams played 13 games. The bottom bracket teams (Truman C, FHSU, MoVal) played 12. However, tiebreaker half-games to break off into the brackets meant that Truman C, Truman B, Arkansas, and WUSTL B ended up playing one more game than their usual number (either 13 or 14), while Harding ended up playing two extra half-games and thus has a record that adds up to 15 games played.

Overall, I did not end up with everyone's full name in the stats. Some scorekeepers didn't gather all of that information along the way. Perhaps it can be gleaned from the entries teams submitted to NAQT(?), but I don't have access to those pages any longer.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
Important Bird Area

When you send us the SQBS file, please make sure the forfeits are in there.
alexdz wrote:Overall, I did not end up with everyone's full name in the stats. Some scorekeepers didn't gather all of that information along the way. Perhaps it can be gleaned from the entries teams submitted to NAQT(?), but I don't have access to those pages any longer.
We still have access to all the team registrations, so we'll eventually match first names to last names for all sites. It's possible we might need to get in touch with a few teams if they didn't submit rosters before Saturday.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

cozort
Kimahri

Post by cozort »

I just wanted to say what a well run tournament it was, and thank you to everybody for welcoming my newbie team mates into our little Midwest quiz club. It was good to see some other new schools, Arkansas, and Fort Hays, they both played well, and were friendly courteous opposition, and congratulations to WUSTL for advancing.
John Cozort
Potosi 2008
Mineral Area 2010
Missouri Valley 2013
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

I can speak for the rest of my team in saying that we really enjoyed this tournament. Thanks to all involved for a great time.

Also, in the stats, my teammate's name is 'Kirvyn," not "Kiryuin."
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Name misspellings are my fault, based on what I could decipher from the various scoresheets I received. I tried to fix the ones that I ended up being able to read, but some didn't get fixed. NAQT will be matching the SQBS stats to the rosters you submitted, so things should end up OK.
Alex Dzurick
====
====