The Maryland Academic Quiz Team will be hosting a mirror of the second Early Autumn Collegiate Novice Tournament on October 1st, 2011 at the University of Maryland.
The tournament is designed as an introduction to collegiate pyramidal quizbowl; as such, there are some eligibility restrictions to ensure a level playing field.
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
ii. If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.
If you have questions regarding eligibility, email me.
Base Fee Per Player: $15
Working Buzzer Discount: -$5
Moderator Discount: -$10 (This discount will not be available when we get enough moderators, so register quickly!)
Registration will begin at 8:30 and Round 1 will begin as close to 9:00 as possible. The actual schedule of games will be determined once our field size is set. All teams are guaranteed a minimum of 8 games, and I anticipate everyone will be able to play 10 games.
To register, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject line Early Autumn Collegiate Novice Tournament and include the number of teams, buzzers and moderators you will be bringing. We may cap the field if it reaches 36 teams, so register early! This should be a great event for inexperienced players, so come on out!
This tournament will probably be in Jimenez Hall, but I will firm that up as we get closer to the date of the tournament.
Maryland House 2+