2011 ACF Fall: UVA mirror, 11/5

Old college threads.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

2011 ACF Fall: UVA mirror, 11/5

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Hello, everyone. UVA will be hosting the Mid-Atlantic mirror of ACF Fall on November 5 in New Cabell Hall, our typical tournament site. EDIT: Good news, guys! The scheduling department has granted our request for more space. This tournament is now capped at 29 teams. More info on precise meeting location and parking suggestions to come.

Fees:
Base fee: $120 per team
Functional buzzer discount: $5 each
Competent staffer discount: $10 each
Functional laptop discount: $5 (1 per team)
Travel discount (per 200 miles, one way): $10
New to ACF discount (per school, not particular players): $25
New to quizbowl discount (per school, not particular players): $75

To register for this tournament, please email me (Sarah Angelo) at sea2fj at virginia dot edu. Please indicate what discounts you qualify for and let us know if you'll need an invoice. All checks should be made out to "Academic Competition Club," though we can also accept cash.

Packet Submission:
As per the ACF submission rules, any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2010 is required to submit a packet in order to participate in an ACF tournament in 2011-2012. This includes ACF Fall. As of last year, high school players are now included in this definition and are subject to the same discounts and penalties as college teams. Teams required to submit packets who do not submit one by the final deadline will be dropped from the tournament.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2011: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

This year’s submission schedule is:

Packet submitted before 11:59 PM eastern time on:
September 11, 2011: -$50
September 25, 2011: -$25 (-$50 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 9, 2011: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 16, 2011: +$25
October 23, 2011: +$50

Packet Penalties
Teams will incur penalties for the following offenses:
*Incorrect formatting: Please take a moment to review the ACF Packet Guidelines on formatting to make sure you format your packet correctly.
*Plagiarism: Please do not attempt to plagiarize. It is often very easy to catch. People caught plagiarizing will be subject to large fines and possibly a thread not dissimilar to this one.
*Writing specific types of forbidden questions: Types of questions prohibited at ACF events include spelling questions, binary matching bonuses, and 5-10-15 bonuses.
Please see the additional packet penalties section for more info.

Friendly Reminders
Please refer to the ACF Packet Guidelines document for more detailed explanations of packet submission and fee-related information.

If you are sending multiple packet writing teams, PLEASE make sure you don’t collaborate on your packets or talk about their contents.

The difficulty level of ACF Fall 2011 is the same as it has been for the past four years, such as can be seen in ACF Fall 2009 and ACF Fall 2010. These tournaments can be found on collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com. Remember above all that the tournament is supposed to be accessible to new teams who have never played quizbowl before, in both your answerlines and your selection of clues. If you suspect one of your answer choices may be too hard, it probably is.
Last edited by Blackboard Monitor Vimes on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Re: 2011 ACF Fall: UVA mirror, 11/5

Field:

Dorman
Duke
George Mason (2)
George Washington
Georgetown Day School
Maryland (3)
North Carolina
Ohio State
St. Anselm's
South Carolina
Thomas Jefferson
VCU
W&M

Buzzers:

Dorman
Duke
George Mason
George Washington
Georgetown Day School
Maryland (2)
North Carolina
St. Anselm's
South Carolina (2)
VCU (5)
W&M
Last edited by Blackboard Monitor Vimes on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Bump to get back on the first page. We've got 11 teams registered right now and would love to have more!
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Hey, everyone. I'm tentatively capping the field at 18 teams (which we have reached) for scheduling and staffing purposes, but I will maintain a wait list if anyone else is interested.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

OSU C is most likely going to have to drop, so any waitlist spot is now much more likely to turn into an actual spot. Let me know if you're interested.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

OSU has had to drop two teams, and GMU has added one more, leaving one more spot in the field for anyone who may still be interested on such short notice.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Everyone attending this tournament should've had an email from me last night noting that we're meeting in New Cabell 337 at 8:30 and providing directions to a closer, non-university-owned parking lot on Brandon Ave across Jefferson Park Avenue from Cabell (thanks to Matt W and VCU for pointing this out), as well as asking people to double check their teams, discounts, and DII/UG status. If you didn't get this email, please let me know. My phone number was also included in that email should you get lost or run late.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

I'll be periodically updating prelim stats here.
Edit: that link stopped working because I keep updating to indicate what rounds stats are through. As such, I'll stop doing that. Round 9 is the last prelim round for those keeping track at home.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Right now, VCU is playing Hothem/Hariharan High and Dorman is playing UMD A for entrance into the finals. Thanks for coming, everyone, and safe trip home!
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Dorman beat Maryland A and VCU beat Hothem/Hariharan High to enter the final, with Dorman winning the DII title outright. VCU beat Dorman 350-250 in the final. Combined stats are here.
Sam L,
PACE
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Thanks to UVa for hosting, and Sarah for TD'ing, such a well-executed tournament.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

SirT wrote:Thanks to UVa for hosting, and Sarah for TD'ing, such a well-executed tournament.
I'll echo Cody's statement here, this was a very enjoyable tournament to attend.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Minor note: According to my teammate, the final score of our game against VCU was 360-260, not 360-160 as listed.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013