Maryland Spring Tournament, 5/6/2012

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jlchockey94
Lulu

Re: Maryland Spring Tournament, 5/6/2012

Post by jlchockey94 »

Lord Hatefun Complainington wrote: Still, it was pretty annoying to play slapbowl on 5 out of 9 games, including every single game we played in the playoffs.
I want to apologize for this problem. It was in no way Maryland's fault. We, GDS, promised to bring three buzzer systems and brought none of them due to some internal miscommunication and NHBB craziness. I want to thank Maryland for running a very efficient tournament even with too few buzzer systems.
Jared Cowan
Georgetown Day School '12
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

This was a fun tournament to moderate at. Once again, sorry my team couldn't come, but i enjoyed being there.

The questions were quite good. The announced difficulty adjustment was very clear and resulted in much more enjoyable games in the lower playoff bracket (which i read) then in previous years which resulted in scores like 60-45.

I do think the tossups did get a little harder in the last few rounds... and there are some bonus conversion statistics that seem to indicate a couple really difficult rounds. Round 6's conversion (which just felt much more difficult) was in fact only 15.85ppb, while Round 9 was stuck at 15.40. Every other round was around 18ppb, or higher, which is great.

There were a few tossups where i felt like the easiest clue was not given in the giveaway, which might have resulted in less buzzes. Other than that, compared to previous iterations of a clearly really hard set, this was a good set of questions appropriate for all sorts of high school teams.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Did NASAT tryouts happen?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

No, no one stuck around except for Oakland Mills, so we canned it. If Maryland wants to get a NASAT Team together, they should figure out who can go and do it soon.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Well, if players are interested, I would suggest they start taking steps to actually put a team together soon.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Fred wrote:Well, if players are interested, I would suggest they start taking steps to actually put a team together soon.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=12906&start=0#p242821

Anyone interested should email me at [email protected]
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."