Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

2012 ACF Fall: UVA Mirror, 11/3

Post by Smuttynose Island »

What? - 2012 Mid-Atlantic mirror of ACF Fall

Where? - New Cabell Hall, UVA, Charlottesville, VA

When? - November 3, 2012

Field Cap? - 21 teams

If you have any questions about this specific mirrror, then please email me at dgh4bp[AT]virginia[DOT]edu. Questions about packet submissions should be directed to Matthew Bollinger at [email protected].

Registration
To register please email me at dgh4bp[AT]virginia[DOT]edu AND fill out this form: http://tinyurl.com/9fpqgge. In your email to me, please include your team name, the number of teams you are bringing, and the number of buzzers that you are bringing. Posting in this thread will NOT count as registering, even though expressions of interest are appreciated. NOTE: Due to ACF's new central payment policy teams will no longer be writing checks directly to UVA.

Field (teams, buzzers, moderators)
Liberty (3, 0, 0)
VCU (3, 3, 2)
South Carolina (2, 2, 2)
Blair (1, 1, 0) [DII]
Maggie Walker (1, 1, 0) [DII]
Dorman (2, 2, 0) [DII]
UNC (2, 1, 0)
VTech (2, 1, 1)
W&L (1, 0, 0)
UMD (2, 1, 1)
TOTAL: (19, 11, 5)

Waiting List
TOTAL: (0, 0, 0)

Packet Submission
As per the ACF submission rules, any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2011 is required to submit a packet in order to participate in an ACF tournament in 2012-2013. This includes ACF Fall. As of a recent rule change, high school players are now included in this definition and are subject to the same discounts and penalties as college teams. Teams required to submit packets who do not submit one by the final deadline will be dropped from the tournament.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2012: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Fees:

Base fee: $120 for one team from a school, $240 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems: -$5 each No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
Staffers: -$10 each No maximum.
Laptop: -$5 each Maximum 1 per team.
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
International: -$20
For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.
New ACF teams: -$25
For schools who did not send a team to ACF Fall, Regionals, or Nationals between September 2010 and August 2012, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.
New quizbowl teams: -$75
For schools who did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2010, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school. May be combined with new ACF team discount for a total new-team discount of $100.

This year’s submission schedule is:

Packet submitted before 11:59 PM eastern time on:
September 9, 2012: -$50
September 23, 2012: -$25 (-$50 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 7, 2012: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 14, 2012: +$25
October 21, 2012: +$50
After Oct. 21, 2012: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.

Packet Penalties
Teams will incur penalties for the following offenses:
*Incorrect formatting: Please take a moment to review the ACF Packet Guidelines on formatting to make sure you format your packet correctly.
*Plagiarism: Please do not attempt to plagiarize. It is often very easy to catch. People caught plagiarizing will be subject to large fines and public shaming.
*Writing specific types of forbidden questions: Types of questions prohibited at ACF events include spelling questions, binary matching bonuses, and 5-10-15 bonuses.
Please see the additional packet penalties section for more info.

Friendly Reminders
Please refer to the ACF Packet Guidelines document for more detailed explanations of packet submission and fee-related information.

If you are sending multiple packet writing teams, PLEASE make sure you don’t collaborate on your packets or talk about their contents.

The difficulty level of ACF Fall 2012 is the same as it has been for the past four years, such as can be seen in ACF Fall 2009 and ACF Fall 2010. These tournaments can be found on collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com. Remember above all that the tournament is supposed to be accessible to new teams who have never played quizbowl before, in both your answerlines and your selection of clues. If you suspect one of your answer choices may be too hard, it probably is.
Last edited by Smuttynose Island on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: 2012 ACF Fall: UVA Mirror, 11/3

Post by grapesmoker »

Daniel, can you post a field update?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Smuttynose Island

grapesmoker wrote:Daniel, can you post a field update?
An running field for the Mid-Atlantic mirror of ACF Fall is being kept in the original post, although it is also copied below.
Smuttynose Island wrote: Field (teams, buzzers, moderators)
Liberty (2, 0, 0)
VCU (1-2, ?, 2) [INCOMPLETE REGISTRATION]
South Carolina (2, 2, 2)
Blair (1, 1, 0)
Maggie Walker (1, 1, 0)
Daniel Hothem
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Maryland will almost certainly be sending 2, maybe three, teams to this.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Smuttynose Island

Since there is still room left in the field, more teams should sign up for this tournament. Remember to both email me (dgh4bp [AT] virginia [DOT] edu) AND fill out the ACF form (http://tinyurl.com/9fpqgge). Doing one and not the other does not suffice as a form of registration and will most likely result in a very unpleasant and early drive home for your team(s) come November 3.
Daniel Hothem
Coach Jim
Lulu

Post by Coach Jim »

If needed, Liberty can bring 2 buzzers, a moderator, and a scorekeeper.
Jim Nutter
QB Coach
Liberty University
Big South champions (2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, & 2018)
QB Nationals (2014, 2015, & 2021)
Smuttynose Island

With 18 teams currently in the field, I am temporarily closing registration. More teams will be allowed to registered if I become sure of our ability to get 21 teams. I apologize if this inconveniences anyone.
Daniel Hothem
Smuttynose Island

The field is now being expanded to 21 teams.
Daniel Hothem
Smuttynose Island

Daniel Hothem
Smuttynose Island

Congratulations to UNC B for winning UVA's Mid-Atlantic Mirror of ACF Fall. UNC B defeated Dorman A in a one game final 345-295. UNC B and Dorman A were also the two highest finishing DII and UG teams. Prelims stats can be found http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... l_prelims/, while playoff stats can be found http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... _playoffs/

I'd like to thank all of the teams that came out to play today, as well as all of the outside staffers that made this tournament possible.
Daniel Hothem
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I'm having trouble figuring out how the playoff procedure worked. . . it seems like prelim games were discounted and basically replayed instead of setting up some kind of crossover system; the only possible reason I can think of to do something like this is the field size, but it's not clear to me why the top bracket (which had six teams anyway) should have been impacted by that. Fortunately, doesn't look like it affected the championship results here, but I think this needs to be more firmly solidified into the category of "things not to do when setting up your tournament schedule." Sincere apologies in advance if this is just me misreading the stats, though (which is a distinct possibility).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
madviking
Lulu

Post by madviking »

Thanks Daniel for running the tournament and congrats UNC B.
Ron Enson, University of Virginia '15
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

DumbJaques wrote:I'm having trouble figuring out how the playoff procedure worked. . . it seems like prelim games were discounted and basically replayed instead of setting up some kind of crossover system; the only possible reason I can think of to do something like this is the field size, but it's not clear to me why the top bracket (which had six teams anyway) should have been impacted by that. Fortunately, doesn't look like it affected the championship results here, but I think this needs to be more firmly solidified into the category of "things not to do when setting up your tournament schedule." Sincere apologies in advance if this is just me misreading the stats, though (which is a distinct possibility).
This is what happened, and it could possibly have affected the final results, since our loss to Dorman B did not carry over into the playoffs. Had it, we would have been tied with edit: UMD A for the right to play Dorman in an advantaged final.
Last edited by ryanrosenberg on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

They played a round robin instead of crossover so that teams got an additional game. When you do that, the correct thing to do is not count the prelim game. Seems pretty straightforward.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Also, congratulations to Dorman A on two very well-fought games, including an incredibly tense final.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Matt Weiner wrote:They played a round robin instead of crossover so that teams got an additional game. When you do that, the correct thing to do is not count the prelim game. Seems pretty straightforward.
Right, I guess it's that logic I disagree with (rather than UVA making a mistake or anything, which obviously isn't what happened). In this situation, I'm not sure why an extra game is preferable - why is 9 games and preserving the integrity of the schedule less desirable than 10 games and damaging it (even mildly)? I've made this point before, but what you essentially create is a game that means nothing - if two 4-0 teams are playing each other going into the last prelim round, they might as well go to lunch, and I think that's a situation you want to avoid. Granted this is more of a scheduling theory discussion, so if it continues it should probably do so in a discussion thread unrelated to this tournament.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I mean, that's no more true than if a 4-0 team going into a crossover playoff is playing an 0-4 team; neither prelim result will carry over. And despite the several thousand times this scenario has happened, I can't recall any instance of the upper team deciding to just forfeit and take a long lunch. Cutting the game from the schedule seems like a solution that won't work in search of a problem that doesn't exist.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org