Global announcement: Collegiate Novice 4

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Global announcement: Collegiate Novice 4

Post by theMoMA »

This is the global announcement for the fourth incarnation of the Early Autumn Collegiate Novice Tournament (largely copied from the announcement for the third version, so let me know if you see anything that I forgot to change).

What is the mission of this tournament?

This tournament is intended as an early introduction for novices to college quizbowl. It aims to be extremely accessible while remaining within a normal academic distribution. The target audience is college players who are very new to quizbowl. Every year, many of these new players come to first practices all around the country, but few stick with the game. This tournament is an early-season introduction to competitive quizbowl in which novices can play against teams of their own strength on questions that reward the level of knowledge that they have. The hope is that this will be the immediate positive competitive experience that new players need to get hooked on the game.

Who is writing this tournament?

Like the last two years, I will solicit nominations and pick a team of new writers to work with me.

When will it take place?

The tournament will be available for hosting on any Saturday between September 7 and October 12. I prefer the September dates to avoid conflicts with other tournaments, but I'll work with hosts in regions that have later starts to host at an appropriate time. This early date should allow new players to play an event tailored to them within a week or two of the first practice. Ideally the tournament will be hosted before any other event in all regions.

What will the packets be like?

There will only be ten packets, because I want to keep the day short to avoid quizbowl fatigue and to allow teams the chance to return to their campuses during the afternoon. The questions will be strictly length-limited to five lines of ten point Times New Roman (ten-line max for bonuses). The packets will probably be distributed in 12-point TNR for reading ease, so they may appear to be longer, but all will be held to the five/ten line ten-point standards. Packets will follow the ACF distribution and will resemble normal quizbowl.

Who can play?
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.

2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.

3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.

4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:

i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.

ii. If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.

iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.

iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.

5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.
Procedure for applying for special permission to play: 1) Email me at [email protected]; 2) state which of the Rule 4 points would render you otherwise ineligible; 3) list when and how you came to achieve any of the accomplishments that lead to your being otherwise ineligible; 4) state succinctly why you want to play. I grant most, but not all, exceptions.

What is the cost?

The cost is around $15 per player. Host sites will post their own discount tables.

Who is hosting, and when?

Sept. 14

Notre Dame

Ohio State

Sept. 21

Cornell

Kentucky

Stony Brook

Michigan

Sept. 28

Virginia Tech

Minnesota

Maryland

Missouri

Waterloo

University of Texas

Oct. 5
'
Carleton (Ottawa)

Washington

Oct. 12

Florida Gateway

Chicago (Sunday, 10/13)

South Carolina

Oct. 19

Berkeley

Unannounced sites

Claremont

I'm currently soliciting host bids. Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested in hosting. As usual, I'd like there to be as many host sites as practical to lower travel times for newer programs.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: Global announcement: Collegiate Novice 4

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Hooray!
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
nimit
Lulu

Post by nimit »

Have decisions been made regarding hosts?
Nimit Dhulekar
President, RPI Quizbowl Club 2011-13
Mumbai University '06, Dartmouth College MS '10, RPI PhD '15
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

nimit wrote:Have decisions been made regarding hosts?
Quoting this, because I am down (with knowing the answer to this particular question, even if it's just a few sites).
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Is this tournament open for high school mirrors?
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

pandabear555 wrote:Is this tournament open for high school mirrors?
Yes, but for high-school-only fields. I don't want college teams playing high schoolers at any official Collegiate Novice mirrors.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
nimit wrote:Have decisions been made regarding hosts?
Quoting this, because I am down (with knowing the answer to this particular question, even if it's just a few sites).
Sorry for the delay on revealing the hosts. I'm currently working through a bunch of emails and confirming hosts. If I notice any conspicuous holes in our coverage, I'll be posting a follow-up soon.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I'd like to find another site or two in the mid-Atlantic. I've also reached out to people in Michigan and western Canada. I'm still taking bids, so if you think you've got a site that can support a viable field (around 8 teams, including house teams), please let me know. Since this is supposed to be a low-stress, short-travel tournament, more sites will hopefully allow more new players to play.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
nimit
Lulu

Post by nimit »

Currently one of the North-East mirrors is listed as RPI/Cornell. Does it mean you're still considering which of the two schools will be hosting or is this a combined effort? The latter would be a particularly difficult venture given the near 3-hour drive between the two schools.
Nimit Dhulekar
President, RPI Quizbowl Club 2011-13
Mumbai University '06, Dartmouth College MS '10, RPI PhD '15
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I know at one point SEMO had been interested in hosting in the Missouri area. I hope this still happens to get the Missouri-area teams a short drive to a site.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

All of the hosts of upcoming sites should have received an email from me as of a few seconds ago.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

theMoMA wrote:All of the hosts of upcoming sites should have received an email from me as of a few seconds ago.
All hosts of 9/14 and 9/21 sites should have also received an email from me at the listed contact email for the tournament. If you did not, please let me know!
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)