ACF Fall 2013 Global Announcement

Old college threads.
gyre and gimble
Yuna

ACF Fall 2013 Global Announcement

Post by gyre and gimble »

Hey everyone,

I'd like to announce 2013's edition of ACF Fall, which will take place on November 2. I will be serving as head editor and am pleased to say I will be working with the following co-editors: Tanay Kothari (UC Berkeley), Ankit Aggarwal (UC Berkeley), Alex Gerten (Columbia), Adam Silverman (Georgia Tech), Lloyd Sy (Brown), and Stephen Eltinge (MIT).

Hosting
New England: Harvard
Mid-Atlantic: Virginia
South: Georgia Tech
Florida: Florida
Texas: Seven Lakes HS
Great Lakes: Ohio State
Eastern Canada: McMaster University
North: St. Thomas
Midwest
Midwest HS-only site: Northern Illinois
Missouri: Truman State
California: Berkeley
Northwest: Boise State
United Kingdom: Oxford

We'd like to see ACF Fall hosted at each of the above regions. A Missouri site may be reasonable depending on the distances to the host sites in nearby regions, but if you wish to host in the Missouri area please do not hesitate to contact me. In general, hosting this tournament is a good way to cut down on travel costs, raise money, and get newer members of your club exposed to well-written, accessible quizbowl questions. If you have any interest in hosting or questions about it, please refer first to the official ACF Hosting Guidelines (available here: http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/2012- ... uidelines/) and then drop me an e-mail at the Gmail address "acf.fall.2013".

The deadline for bids is September 14, 2013. Bids will not be accepted after that point, and earlier bids will receive priority over later bids, all else being equal.

To register for the tournament, please fill out this form and email the host of your site.

Packet Submission
As per the ACF submission rules, any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2012 is required to submit a packet in order to participate in an ACF tournament in 2013-2014. This includes ACF Fall. Teams required to submit packets who do not submit one by the final deadline will be dropped from the tournament. As of a recent rule change, high school players are now included in this definition and are subject to the same discounts and penalties as college teams. (For more on high school teams, please see below.) Please submit packets to the same Gmail account, "acf.fall.2013", and use “ACF Fall 2013: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Fees:

Base fee: $120 for one team from a school, $240 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems: -$5 each No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
Staffers: -$10 each No maximum.
Laptop: -$5 each Maximum 1 per team.
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
International: -$20
For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.
New ACF teams: -$25
For schools who did not send a team to ACF Fall, Regionals, or Nationals between September 2011 and August 2013, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.
New quizbowl teams: -$75
For schools who did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2011, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school. May be combined with new ACF team discount for a total new-team discount of $100.

This year’s submission schedule is:

Packet submitted before 11:59 PM eastern time on:
September 8, 2013: -$50
September 22, 2013: -$25 (-$50 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 6, 2013: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 13, 2013: +$25
October 20, 2013: +$50
After Oct. 20, 2013: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.

Packet Penalties
Teams will incur penalties for the following offenses:
*Incorrect formatting: Please take a moment to review the ACF Packet Guidelines on formatting to make sure you format your packet correctly.
*Plagiarism: Please do not attempt to plagiarize. It is often very easy to catch. People caught plagiarizing will be subject to large fines and public shaming.
*Writing specific types of forbidden questions: Types of questions prohibited at ACF events include spelling questions, binary matching bonuses, and 5-10-15 bonuses.
Please see the additional packet penalties section for more info.

Note Regarding High School Teams
High school teams are welcome to play this tournament, though they should keep in mind that while this may be a lower difficulty tournament, it is nevertheless a collegiate event and significantly more difficult than many high school tournaments. There will be no further discounts for things like playing short-handed or being new to ACF or quizbowl, which applies only to new college teams. Furthermore, high school teams must write a packet if any of its members played a college tournament prior to the 2012-2013 competition season.

Friendly Reminders
Please refer to the ACF Packet Guidelines document for more detailed explanations of packet submission and fee-related information.

If you are sending multiple packet writing teams, PLEASE make sure you don’t collaborate on your packets or talk about their contents.

The difficulty level of ACF Fall 2013 is the same as it has been for the past four years, such as can be seen in ACF Fall 2009 and ACF Fall 2010. These tournaments can be found at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/questionse ... archived=y. Remember above all that the tournament is supposed to be accessible to new teams who have never played quizbowl before, in both your answerlines and your selection of clues. If you suspect one of your answer choices may be too hard, it probably is.

If you have any other questions, please let me know at the email address listed above.

Thanks,
Stephen Liu
Head Editor

(Bulk of announcement courtesy of Matt Bollinger.)
Last edited by gyre and gimble on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
minusfive
Rikku

Re: ACF Fall 2013 Global Announcement

Post by minusfive »

Which e-mail address should submissions be sent to? I assume the acf.fall.2013 gmail address?
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
gyre and gimble
Yuna

minusfive wrote:Which e-mail address should submissions be sent to? I assume the acf.fall.2013 gmail address?
gyre and gimble wrote:Please submit packets to the same Gmail account, "acf.fall.2013", and use “ACF Fall 2013: [Team Name]” in the subject line.
Yes, that's right.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Hey, we're still looking for host sites in the following regions: Florida, the Midwest, Eastern Canada, and California. Let me know if your school wants to host! Send your email to the Gmail address "acf.fall.2013".

EDIT: Forgot about Eastern Canada. Sorry guys.
Last edited by gyre and gimble on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

To clarify some questions that arose with regard to payment: we will be using the centralized payment system again, which is going to be standard for ACF tournaments going forward. That means that teams will render payment to ACF directly, and ACF will then pay the hosts. With a year of experience under our belt, the process should go pretty smoothly.

This would also be a good time to mention that failing to pay for tournaments is grounds for being barred from future ACF tournaments. There were only a few miscreants last year, and we eventually got all that worked out, but I'd really like to just avoid any such problems in the future. We'll do our best to get you invoices ASAP, but we also ask that you register early and do your best to move the payment process along. If issues arise at any step of the way, get in touch with me.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Are people actually checking the ACF Fall Gmail account?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

You can now register for ACF Fall by filling out this form. Please do so as soon as you can.

I'd also like to remind all hosts that have not already posted their announcements to do so posthaste.
Jerry Vinokurov
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

Am I to understand that there is no Eastern Canada site? Are there sites that have bid?
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur wrote:Am I to understand that there is no Eastern Canada site? Are there sites that have bid?
I've heard through the grapevine that it will be at Macmaster.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

It seems as though the packet submission guidelines from last year got archived without being replaced. Has there been an update to the Packet Submission Guidelines and/or distribution since 2012-13, or should teams submit packets assuming that all guidelines are the same as last year?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

RyuAqua wrote:It seems as though the packet submission guidelines from last year got archived without being replaced. Has there been an update to the Packet Submission Guidelines and/or distribution since 2012-13, or should teams submit packets assuming that all guidelines are the same as last year?
The guidelines and the distribution are all the same, but you're right, that document is missing. It's still part of the site, but harder to get to. I'll look into bringing it back into the document menu.
Jerry Vinokurov
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Here are the packets I have received thus far. I'll update this after each deadline passes. Please note that the labels for the deadlines below are there to mark the dates, rather than how much of a discount your team will actually get (i.e. some of the -$25 Deadline teams will get -$50 discounts if they didn't have to write a packet).

-$50 Deadline
Berkeley A
Caltech A
Caltech B
Cambridge A
Dorman
Dartmouth A
Haverford
LASA A
Louisville A
Rice
Southampton
UCF A
UConn

-$25 Deadline
Berkeley B
Chattahoochee
Columbia A
Kansas State
LASA B
Liberty A
Liberty B
North Greenville
Northmont
VCU B
Washington A
Washington B
Wellesley
William and Mary
Yale A
Yale B

No Penalty Deadline
Berkeley C
Brown A
Clemson
Cornell A
DCC
Michigan A
Minnesota A
Minnesota B
MSU A
OSU A
RPI A
Rutgers-New Brunswick
Maryland B
Sheffield
St. John's
Stetson
Stevenson
Texas A&M
UNC B
UNC C
USC
Virginia Tech A
WKU

+$25 Deadline
Buffalo A
Claremont A
Cornell B
Delaware
George Washington B
Georgia State
Harding
Manchester
MIT A
Ottawa A
Purdue
Vanderbilt
Waterloo
Williams
Last edited by gyre and gimble on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Florida Gateway
Lulu

Post by Florida Gateway »

Is there a way to get a copy of the ACF's W-9 so I can get you input into our billing/payment system as a vendor? Otherwise FGC won't be able to cut a check for the invoice we recieve :(

It would be fastest to email a copy to me at [email protected]

Thank You,
James Givvines
Coach at Florida Gateway College
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

So, is ACF Fall Midwest even happening this year, or will Midwest teams have to go to Ohio State or whatever else is closest?
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote:So, is ACF Fall Midwest even happening this year, or will Midwest teams have to go to Ohio State or whatever else is closest?
You can come to Truman's site!

No seriously, if anyone who wants to come to our site that would go to a Midwest site needs financial help, let me know and we can work something out.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

I emailed Jerry earlier in the week to ask for an invoice and a W9 for this tournament, but I haven't gotten any response. Should I be in touch with someone else?
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote:So, is ACF Fall Midwest even happening this year, or will Midwest teams have to go to Ohio State or whatever else is closest?
I've contacted Illinois, Chicago, UIC, and Northwestern about a host site in the Midwest because that's all the contact information I had. It's been a week but no one has replied yet. In any case, this seems like something the schools in that area will have to figure out so if Northwestern isn't interested in hosting maybe you should try prodding your neighbors to do so.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Are you going to update the list of received packets to reflect the latest deadline?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Yeah sorry, I'll do that soon. WKU's packet got in on time if that's what you want to know.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
gyre and gimble
Yuna

There's still 80 minutes left to submit packets, but a fully updated list of packets up to this point has been posted above.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
katmetzger
Kimahri

Post by katmetzger »

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Katie Metzger and I represent the University of St. Thomas, who will be hosting the ACF Fall in Minnesota. I currently have 10 teams registered for the tournament, an appointed director, and 5 potential moderators who have expressed an interest in working for us that day. The announcement for this tournament is at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=14961

The tournament director is James Heaney. You can email the packets to him when the time comes at: [email protected]

I need to know what the next steps are for the hosts of ACF. I need to know about how teams can pay for the tournament, whether by cash or check at the tournament or if they need to pay in advance; I was told that host teams don't need to pay for registration. Also, how will we receive trophies and does the university need to pay the trophy fees? Will we have to provide the Top Scorer Awards via used books or are these also provided by ACF?

Director James Heaney also would like to know how he will be recording the stats of the tournament. Could you please write the both of us ASAP with details for how he can keep records throughout the tournament?

I've been trying to email the editor Stephen Liu, but I haven't received any feedback for some time. So, if any one from the ACF staff could please contact me, I would appreciate as much information as possible. Please email me at: [email protected]

Thank you for allowing UST the opportunity to host and I hope that we will host the North division efficiently for the ACF.
Katie Metzger
University of St. Thomas '14
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

A few clarifications are in order:

First, please note that high schools are not eligible for the "new to ACF" and "new to quizbowl" discounts, as per our rule change last year. Second, it looks like I was working from a somewhat outdated set of packet submissions, so some of you may have received an invoice that does not properly reflect your packet submission status. Finally, I see that there are teams that have submitted packets, but have not registered for the tournament. It is imperative that you do so ASAP so I can send you your invoice.

clarifying addendum: Those of you who have received invoices that for one reason or another do not properly reflect your entry fee will be receiving new ones shortly.
Jerry Vinokurov
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

grapesmoker wrote:A few clarifications are in order:

First, please note that high schools are not eligible for the "new to ACF" and "new to quizbowl" discounts, as per our rule change last year. Second, it looks like I was working from a somewhat outdated set of packet submissions, so some of you may have received an invoice that does not properly reflect your packet submission status. Finally, I see that there are teams that have submitted packets, but have not registered for the tournament. It is imperative that you do so ASAP so I can send you your invoice.

clarifying addendum: Those of you who have received invoices that for one reason or another do not properly reflect your entry fee will be receiving new ones shortly.
If this is relevant to the above, it was mentioned in the thread for the Canadian mirror of ACF Fall that all packet submission deadlines for the site would be pushed back by one week (presumably because the tournament is taking place a week late as well?), but three teams from that site (Buffalo A, Ottawa A and Waterloo) are listed on the +$25 set of packet submissions, although they should be receiving no penalty, based on what was posted. I know that the invoice Waterloo received reflected this, and I just want to make sure that nothing is changing!
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I believe I got Ottawa's correct, and Buffalo needs to register so that I can get them their invoice. Thanks for noting that.
Jerry Vinokurov
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Bartleby wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:A few clarifications are in order:

If this is relevant to the above, it was mentioned in the thread for the Canadian mirror of ACF Fall that all packet submission deadlines for the site would be pushed back by one week (presumably because the tournament is taking place a week late as well?), but three teams from that site (Buffalo A, Ottawa A and Waterloo) are listed on the +$25 set of packet submissions, although they should be receiving no penalty, based on what was posted. I know that the invoice Waterloo received reflected this, and I just want to make sure that nothing is changing!
Yeah sorry if that's confusing but that's just a list of which deadline they submitted by and doesn't reflect how much they actually owe.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Susan

Post by Susan »

Note Regarding High School Teams
High school teams are welcome to play this tournament, though they should keep in mind that while this may be a lower difficulty tournament, it is nevertheless a collegiate event and significantly more difficult than many high school tournaments. There will be no further discounts for things like playing short-handed or being new to ACF or quizbowl, which applies only to new college teams. Furthermore, high school teams must write a packet if any of its members played a college tournament prior to the 2012-2013 competition season.
I just wanted to highlight this portion of Stephen's message, since we've had a number of high school teams trying to claim the new-to-quizbowl or new-to-ACF discounts. I've updated the form to make it very clear that high school teams are not eligible for these discounts. While I'm issuing reminders, I'll add that host teams do not need to write packets, nor do hosts owe any money for them (although hosts can feel free to register their teams with ACF so that the field spreadsheet posted in each site announcement thread is accurate). Additionally, any teams wishing to claim short-handed discounts must meet all of the criteria posted on the packet-sub requirements page (team must consist of one or two players; if required to submit a packet, team must submit an acceptable packet by the no-penalty deadline; team must be funded directly by its members, rather than by its school or by a team budget).
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
katmetzger
Kimahri

Post by katmetzger »

Can anyone from the ACF tell me how much the host teams have to pay for registration, if we have to pay at all?

Also, how do we arrange to get the trophies and the used books for the individual scorers? Do we provide the books ourselves or are they donated by ACF?

How do teams pay for registration and how does the host collect the payments?

I need someone to tell Stephen Liu that I've been trying to contact him for a few weeks, but I haven't heard from him regarding the questions above. I have my teams registered and the moderators ready. I need to know what is required next.

Katie Metzger
Katie Metzger
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

Katie, you may find this web page helpful: http://www.acf-quizbowl.com/documents/2 ... uidelines/
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
Susan

Post by Susan »

Hi, Katie,

The host teams owe nothing for their registration (no fees and no packets are due).

ACF will be shipping trophies to you, but you will need to pick up the book prizes. Jerry Vinokurov, ACF's treasurer, will be in touch with you about the trophy shipment; if you have further questions about trophies, you can get in touch with him at [email protected].

Teams pay ACF directly for the tournament and ACF will then, after the tournament, cut hosts a check for their share of each team's fee. Again, Jerry will be your point of contact and is the best person to answer questions about this process.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not getting answers for your questions, and I hope that we'll be able to answer everything to your satisfaction. We appreciate the work our hosts do to make ACF Fall a successful event, and we want to try to make the process as easy for you as possible.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hi Katie, I'm the ACF treasurer and I'll field the financial questions.
katmetzger wrote:Can anyone from the ACF tell me how much the host teams have to pay for registration, if we have to pay at all?
Host teams do not have to pay registration. As long as you have adequate staff to run the tournament, host teams play for free.
Also, how do we arrange to get the trophies and the used books for the individual scorers? Do we provide the books ourselves or are they donated by ACF?
The books you will have to get yourself. The trophies we will send to you. I'll send hosts an email tonight to let me know which address to ship the trophies to.
How do teams pay for registration and how does the host collect the payments?
Teams pay ACF directly; once the payments are collected, the host's share will be mailed to the address you specify
I need someone to tell Stephen Liu that I've been trying to contact him for a few weeks, but I haven't heard from him regarding the questions above. I have my teams registered and the moderators ready. I need to know what is required next.
Sorry about that, those questions should have been forwarded to us (well, me) and we'll be better about doing that in the future. If you have any other questions regarding finances, just shoot me an email at [email protected].
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

So, ACF Fall is this Saturday. Everyone who is playing should have received an invoice from me. If you didn't get one, or the information on your invoice is not correct, please email me (grapesmoker at gmail dot com) so I can get you a correct one. I believe I have accounted for all the recent sign-ups and drops that have taken place over the last few days, but if I missed something, please let me know.

In addition, if the hosts could let me know that they've received the trophies, that would also be appreciated.
Jerry Vinokurov
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Hosts: When you're drawing up schedules, you might want to consider whose packets are being used for the set.

We've got Rice, Haverford, Caltech A, LASA A, Dartmouth A, Washington A, Chattahoochee, Northmont, Wellesley, Yale A, Yale B, Maryland B, Michigan A, St. John's, Ottawa, Stanford A / Maryland A, and Stanford B / Chicago A for a total of 17 packets.

I'll try to send them tomorrow evening, before 8 pm EST.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

If none of the packets written by our teams made it into the set, we can have people who wrote for different packets play on the same team, right? E.g. the North Carolina B at the tournament can contain a player who wrote for North Carolina C's packet.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Ryan: Yeah, I guess so.

Sorry about the delay with the packets, but they should be ready to send in the next half-hour.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
gyre and gimble
Yuna

I lied about the half-hour but I'm writing the email now.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

gyre and gimble wrote:I lied about the half-hour but I'm writing the email now.
This was very frustrating for the UK site and happened last year as well.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Joey wrote:
I'm confused -- did the extra half-hour really screw things up? I sent the British answerlines to Ewan earlier in the week so you guys could Briticize, and as I understand it the issue was that it was this part that wasn't done until the night before last year? Anyhow, I apologize for any frustrations I caused.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

gyre and gimble wrote:
Joey wrote:
I'm confused -- did the extra half-hour really screw things up? I sent the British answerlines to Ewan earlier in the week so you guys could Briticize, and as I understand it the issue was that it was this part that wasn't done until the night before last year? Anyhow, I apologize for any frustrations I caused.
Sorry, it wasn't specifically that half hour - it's more that the packets are sent out at a time that makes sense for American sites, but not for a UK site. I wasn't running the tournament, that was Ewan, so I don't know the specifics, but what I do know is that he didn't receive the answerlines as early as expected and then I think the packets only came in after he had fallen asleep waiting for them to come in leading to a crush to insert the Briticised questions and print and all that malarky.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Could we set up a private forum for discussing the set? The Canada mirror is next week so it needs to be private.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I had a question regarding eligibility of one of the Toronto players for the upcoming Canada mirror. I emailed the gmail address a week ago and did not hear back. I would like to get back to this player at our meeting on Monday evening. Here is the text of the email I sent; any guidance regarding our player's eligbility (or lack thereof) would be very much appreciated:

--------------------

Hello, my name is Aaron Dos Remedios with the University of Toronto. We recently registered a team for the McMaster ACF Fall mirror without packet submission, as all our players were in their sophomore or freshman years. However, one of our players recently informed me that he played in the Waterloo mirror of KABO in summer 2012 and wants to know whether this falls under the umbrella of "regular, collegiate tournaments" that would render him ineligible to play on a team that didn't submit a packet.

We do not plan to contest whatever decision you make regarding this but are primarily interested in ensuring that we follow the rules of ACF eligibility.

--------------------
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Susan

Post by Susan »

Hi, Aaron,

I'll pass this along to the eligibility committee and get you an answer as soon as possible.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
Susan

Post by Susan »

The eligibility committee has ruled that your player is eligible to play (based on the fact that the tournament was only 13 days before September 2012 and, as you point out, it isn't quite a "regular collegiate tournament"). I'm very sorry that we failed to get you an answer sooner.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I'll let him know at our meeting.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Susan

Post by Susan »

gyre and gimble wrote:Could we set up a private forum for discussing the set? The Canada mirror is next week so it needs to be private.
This forum is now set up; join by clicking on "User Control Panel", then "Usergroups", then "ACF Fall 2013".
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Joey wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:
Joey wrote:
Sorry, it wasn't specifically that half hour - it's more that the packets are sent out at a time that makes sense for American sites, but not for a UK site. I wasn't running the tournament, that was Ewan, so I don't know the specifics, but what I do know is that he didn't receive the answerlines as early as expected and then I think the packets only came in after he had fallen asleep waiting for them to come in leading to a crush to insert the Briticised questions and print and all that malarky.
This was a huge problem last year as well. It resulted in my having only three hours of sleep. I believe Ewan got only one hour of sleep this year. I was promised the packets at a relatively sane hour, though still a late one. I don't know what time Ewan was promised this year's packets. But in neither case were they delivered as promised, and in both cases the result was that we had much less time than we needed to do as good a job inserting new questions as we had planned to do. I fully understand that the British site is not a priority, but in that case ACF just needs to be honest about what we can expect and then help us to work out a viable arrangement in advance. If we aren't going to get the packets until a couple of hours before the tournament, then we can just plan to have the tournament one week later. But the current situation is most certainly not tenable, and the result is widespread frustration in the UK with ACF, which is definitely not what the growing circuit here needs.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Kyle wrote:This was a huge problem last year as well. It resulted in my having only three hours of sleep. I believe Ewan got only one hour of sleep this year. I was promised the packets at a relatively sane hour, though still a late one. I don't know what time Ewan was promised this year's packets. But in neither case were they delivered as promised, and in both cases the result was that we had much less time than we needed to do as good a job inserting new questions as we had planned to do. I fully understand that the British site is not a priority, but in that case ACF just needs to be honest about what we can expect and then help us to work out a viable arrangement in advance. If we aren't going to get the packets until a couple of hours before the tournament, then we can just plan to have the tournament one week later. But the current situation is most certainly not tenable, and the result is widespread frustration in the UK with ACF, which is definitely not what the growing circuit here needs.
Yeah, okay, I see the problem. It's definitely on me that I didn't take into account that you guys had to insert your questions into the packets, which must take a couple of hours. So not to blame anyone else, but I think it would be helpful as a preventative measure that in the future, ACF head editors are informed exactly what the process of Briticizing the set consists of, because I think I over-simplified it in my head and didn't really give it a second thought. If I'd recognized that further work had to be done on the set on the UK side, then I wouldn't have decided it was okay for Oxford to get the set in the morning. Again, that's 100% my fault, but I'm just saying that a clear statement of the gameplan for UK hosts and/or sporadic prodding/reminders would help future editors to make the process much more agreeable for everyone.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

When will the questions be released?
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)