ACF Regionals 2014 Northeast @ Yale (New Haven, CT, 2/22/14)

Old college threads.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

ACF Regionals 2014 Northeast @ Yale (New Haven, CT, 2/22/14)

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I'm pleased to announce that Yale Student Academic Competitions will be hosting the Northeast site of ACF Regionals 2014 on Saturday, February 22. Barring anything highly unusual, I (Matt Jackson) will be serving as tournament director.

Location and Transportation

Final room reservations are pending, but we expect this tournament will be in William L. Harkness Hall (WLH) on Cross Campus, located at 100 Wall Street, New Haven, CT.

Many Yale parking lots within two to three blocks of WLH are open to the public on weekends for free, including Lots 51, 77, 78, and 78W, shown here. Street parking is also available, as is garage parking in the Grove Street and Audubon Court garages, shown here.

Those arriving at New Haven Union Station can take a taxi (costs about $8; call 203-777-7777 if there are no cabs in sight), walk just over a mile to campus, or ride the Yale Shuttle (departs Union Station roughly every twenty to thirty minutes). Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] for further information about transportation logistics.

We plan to start the tournament at 9:30 A.M sharp. For those who are unfamiliar with what this means, it means "tossup 1 will be read at 9:30 so as to accommodate train schedules," not "we sit around dragging our feet for a team that decided to show up at 10 by car, as we've been forced to do at the last two college tournaments we ran". If you are not arriving by train, please plan to arrive at least 30 minutes early (at 9:00 sharp) so that we can start the opening announcement and run the tournament on time. Let me know if any traffic or transportation problems arise the day of.

Fees:

(copied from the Fall '13 global announcement, assuming no changes have been instituted since then)
Base fee: $120 for one team from a school, $240 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems: -$5 each No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
Staffers: -$10 each No maximum.
Laptop: -$5 each Maximum 1 per team.
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
International: -$20
For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.
New ACF teams: -$25
For schools who did not send a team to ACF Fall, Regionals, or Nationals between September 2011 and August 2013, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.
New quizbowl teams: -$75
For schools who did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2011, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school. May be combined with new ACF team discount for a total new-team discount of $100.

In keeping with ACF's new central payment system, checks will be paid directly to ACF by mail. ACF Treasurer Jerry Vinokoruv will contact each registered team, presenting them an invoice with the required payment amount. Teams should plan to mail a check to ACF a week before the tournament (by February 15) at the latest. Yale will not be accepting cash or checks in person.

Packet Submission

Every team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2012 is required to submit a packet in order to play in Regionals. Please note that, like last year, this requirement also applies to eligible high school teams. Further information can be found at the ACF Packet Submission Guidelines.

The submission schedule for this tournament is: (note that these are Saturdays, not Sundays)
December 21, 2013: -$50
January 4, 2014: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
January 18, 2014: no penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
February 1, 2014: +$25
February 8, 2014: +$50
After that: +$10 for each additional day you're late. Teams that are required to submit a packet and do not won't be allowed to play.

Please submit your packet to [email protected]; the actual email with attached packet should include the phrase "[name of school + A/B/etc. if applicable) PACKET" in the subject line. In order to meet any particular deadline, your packet must be in the acfregionals2014 inbox by 11:59 pm PST on the stated day.

Distribution: The distribution for this tournament varies slightly from the required 24/24 distribution on the ACF website.
Literature 5/5
History 5/5
Science 5/5
Religion, Mythology and Philosophy 3/3
Fine Arts 3/3
Social Science 1/1
Geography/Current Events: 1/1
Pop Culture: 1/0 or 0/1
Any Academic Category: 1/0 or 0/1

Packet Penalties: Be sure to fully read the information contained in the Packet Guidelines. Any cases of incorrect formatting, plagiarism, or prohibited question types will result in hefty fees. The editors also reserve the right to send back any egregious cases to be fixed by the team in question, so be sure to do it right the first time.

Registration

Official registrations for ACF Regionals 2014 must be made by filling out this form, which is centrally administered by ACF. IMPORTANT: No other form of registration - posting in this thread, emailing me, texting, carrier pigeon, etc. - will counted in any way.

Unofficial Field List (teams, buzzers, staffers)
Dartmouth (2, 1, 1)
MIT (2, 1)
Northeastern (1, 0)
Penn (3, 1)
Harvard (1, 4)
RPI (2, 1)
Cornell (3, 1)
Columbia (3, 1)
Rutgers (1, 1)
Williams (1, 0)
Princeton (1, 0)
Yale House (1, 2, oodles)

Total: 21/21 teams, 11 buzzers

Wait list:

Note: The official ACF spreadsheet posted below is the official field listing; if any discrepancies arise between the above listing and the spreadsheet, defer to the spreadsheet.

Due to expected limitations on rooms and staff, this tournament will have an initial field cap of 18 teams. Further field expansions will be announced when I determine that they can feasibly occur.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any additional questions or concerns about this site, or the [email protected] email account with questions regarding Regionals at large. We hope to see you at Yale on the 22nd!
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: ACF Regionals 2014 Northeast @ Yale (New Haven, CT, 2/22/14)

Post by Susan »

The list of teams who have registered for this tournament may be found here.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: ACF Regionals 2014 Northeast @ Yale (New Haven, CT, 2/22

We have hit our provisional cap of 18 teams. I will be maintaining an up-to-date wait list in the first post of this thread. I'm currently trying to see if we can expand to 21 teams, and will probably know one way or the other by late January - team-brought staffers would be extra nice for this purpose!

Also: Please inform both me and Susan Ferrari if you drop a team, so the field updates can stay consistent in real time.

EDIT: Oh, and just to clarify: Further interest in getting on the wait list also needs to go through the ACF form listed in the first post; emails, carrier pigeons, etc. are still futile.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

The field for the Northeast site of ACF Regionals 2014 has been officially expanded to 21 teams. This will be the final field size; no further expansions will occur.

This means that Brown A, Brown B, and Rutgers have officially entered the field and the wait list now consists only of one team from Williams. I've contacted Susan Ferrari, who maintains the official ACF spreadsheet for the field; there may be a discrepancy between that and the field list in my first post until it's updated to shown the Brown and Rutgers teams as in the field, but your spot is secure even before that update occurs.

If your school is dropping any teams from Regionals, please email both me and Susan ([email protected]) to make sure we can keep the field up to date. Also, if your school can bring any staffers to the tournament, we would still be very grateful. (Thanks a ton to Dartmouth for volunteering one such staffer!)
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Brown's teams are out; Harvard B is off the wait list. This brings our total field size to 20. If you were thinking about attending Regionals and aren't required to submit a packet, now's your only chance!
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Harvard B has dropped, bringing us down to the unwieldy number of 19 teams. At this point, please let me know if there are any drops/consolidations from teams in the field, or if any non-packet-submitting teams (Middlebury? Wesleyan? some DII folks from NYU or Stony Brook or Princeton?) might want to register; a field of 18 and a field of 21 are both much more manageable for our purposes.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Couldn't Yale also field one or two house teams? I suppose Matt Jackson playing solo isn't an option this time, but surely something's possible.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

gamegeek2 wrote:Couldn't Yale also field one or two house teams? I suppose Matt Jackson playing solo isn't an option this time, but surely something's possible.
House teams are not an option at this time.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

This tournament is occurring. We are starting round 5 (out of 7) of the prelims, after which we will rebracket and things like that. Stats may appear after this round.

EDIT (1:30 pm): Round 6 (post-lunch) is about to begin. Once prelims are over, the house team will collapse and we will rebracket into 6/6/(4+4), the top two of which will round-robin, and the bottom of which will play cross-games. Or something like that.

EDIT (4:07 pm): Round 11 is going to begin shortly. The top bracket is Penn, Dartmouth, Columbia, Harvard, MIT, and Cornell.

EDIT (5:11 pm): Playoffs are finishing up; Penn is going to be advantaged in a final against Harvard.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Congratulations to the University of Pennsylvania's A-team (Patrick Liao, Saajid Moyen, Eric Mukherjee, Dallas Simons) for going undefeated to take the 1st place trophy at the Northeast site of 2014 ACF Regionals! Penn A defeated Harvard (Mark Arildsen, Will Holub-Moorman, Stephen Liu, Sriram Pendyala) in the first game of an advantaged final; by virtue of their second-place finish, Harvard took the Undergraduate title. Williams took the DII title [but left their trophy behind; contact me about retrieving that if you want it!]. Thanks to everyone who attended and stayed flexible about the ever-shifting field sizes, adds, drops, and schedule changes; thanks especially to Princeton for volunteering to show up and write some questions last-minute to make our schedule work, and to Cameron Orth and Saul Hankin, who volunteered their Saturdays to help this tournament run when a staffer shortfall looked like it might seriously threaten its success. I had a great experience editing and TDing for this tournament -- the last college tournament I'll ever host, in all likelihood -- and hope everyone had a good time.

Stats are up on the DB -- prelims, playoffs, and [EDIT as of 1:38 AM] combined!

Folks should feel free to join the ACF Regionals 2014 discussion subforum once it's created to comment on specifics of the set.

EDIT: The ACF Regionals 2014 discussion subforum does in fact exist!
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

A+ on the bracket names.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

Ukonvasara wrote:A+ on the bracket names.
Who makes Yale's bracket names and can I hire him/her to make brackets names for me?
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Ukonvasara wrote:A+ on the bracket names.
AlexLiu wrote: Who makes Yale's bracket names and can I hire him/her to make brackets names for me?
Not to give the whole game away, but the team went through a pun-obsessed phase about three years ago which more or less never ended, so it's become YSAC tradition to create sets of puns for the bracket names at each of our tournaments. Usually, this happens when somebody comes up with a pun on something they just heard of in a packet, inspiring others to pile on and try and fill in a large enough set of related puns to carry a whole tournament.

Once you pop, the pun don't stop.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF