Studying for Poetry

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Arkangel de la Muerte
Lulu

Studying for Poetry

Post by Arkangel de la Muerte »

One area our team struggles with is poetry. Does anyone know any good ways to study poetry? Are there any good anthologies or collections of poetry?
Amol Patil
Beck Junior High (2010-2013)
Cinco Ranch High School (2013-)
Chef Curry
Lulu

Re: Studying for Poetry

Post by Chef Curry »

I like to obviously read the poem, and then I like to read the analysis to really understand what the poet is trying to get across. Reading the analysis also helps me remember the poem in general because it makes a lasting impression. Then maybe try going on quinterest and reading some questions to see what comes up(lines); I think it's important to read the poems before looking at existing questions, because that will give you some "real knowledge" instead of just memorizing lines.
Ahan Patel
Manheim Township High School '17
Villanova '21
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

I would say, that if you know what comes up, you can read the poems online. You'll find a bunch of results if you just google the poem. To know what comes up, reading packets and studying frequency lists would be a good idea.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Chef Curry
Lulu

Post by Chef Curry »

I would say, that if you know what comes up, you can read the poems online. You'll find a bunch of results if you just google the poem. To know what comes up, reading packets and studying frequency lists would be a good idea.
If you do not already know the canon, reading packets and frequency lists is a good idea, that will save you a lot of time during the studying process. What I like to do is when I am in a tournament, or in practice, I will write down the poem, author, and a brief line that may have been mentioned in the question. This way when I am studying, I will go through my notebook and look those things up. It creates sort of your own frequency list because you start to notice patterns pertaining to what comes up in the answer lines.
Ahan Patel
Villanova '21
Arkangel de la Muerte
Lulu

Post by Arkangel de la Muerte »

ahan108 wrote:I like to obviously read the poem, and then I like to read the analysis to really understand what the poet is trying to get across. Reading the analysis also helps me remember the poem in general because it makes a lasting impression. Then maybe try going on quinterest and reading some questions to see what comes up(lines); I think it's important to read the poems before looking at existing questions, because that will give you some "real knowledge" instead of just memorizing lines.
Do you know a good website for analysis?
Amol Patil
Beck Junior High (2010-2013)
Cinco Ranch High School (2013-)
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

The book Understanding Poetry by Brooks and Warren was recommended elsewhere on this site and has been a fantastic resource for enjoying poetry. Although I haven't studied it for quiz bowl purposes so far (mostly because other people on my team know more about lit/poetry), I'm sure you would get tons of points from it if you decided to try and memorize the important lines and what not. Otherwise looking at what comes up and what is important in academic circles can he helpful to read online and study. The Norton Anthologies are good if you can find them in your library.
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

postfan wrote:
ahan108 wrote:I like to obviously read the poem, and then I like to read the analysis to really understand what the poet is trying to get across. Reading the analysis also helps me remember the poem in general because it makes a lasting impression. Then maybe try going on quinterest and reading some questions to see what comes up(lines); I think it's important to read the poems before looking at existing questions, because that will give you some "real knowledge" instead of just memorizing lines.
Do you know a good website for analysis?
I've used Shmoop for Lit classes (it also has nice plot summaries if you are a lit player). Otherwise the book I mentioned is awesome for understanding and appreciating poetry.
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
Chef Curry
Lulu

Post by Chef Curry »

I've used Shmoop for Lit classes (it also has nice plot summaries if you are a lit player). Otherwise the book I mentioned is awesome for understanding and appreciating poetry.
I used to use sparknotes, but I have found that it has a very limited section when it comes to poetry. So, shmoop is a great alternative, and I feel as if it gives you a little bit of extra information/insight into book plots and poetry analyses. Cliffnotes is decent too.
Ahan Patel
Villanova '21
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

If you're willing to put in a bit of time, try not only reading but memorizing shorter, more commonly referenced poems. Here are a few worth considering:
Kubla Khan
The Second Coming
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
Ode on a Grecian Urn
Ode to a Nightingale

These come up all the time; there are others - check NAQT's frequency lists for further suggestions. If you memorize and periodically go back over what you've learned, it will be in your long term memory, and will be easier to buzz on, particularly when not just author/title is being asked for, but lines are being referenced in the questions as well.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Great Bustard wrote:If you're willing to put in a bit of time, try not only reading but memorizing shorter, more commonly referenced poems. Here are a few worth considering:
Kubla Khan
The Second Coming
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
Ode on a Grecian Urn
Ode to a Nightingale

These come up all the time; there are others - check NAQT's frequency lists for further suggestions. If you memorize and periodically go back over what you've learned, it will be in your long term memory, and will be easier to buzz on, particularly when not just author/title is being asked for, but lines are being referenced in the questions as well.
I've memorized a couple of poems (not directly for quizbowl). Very useful for many things and not hard either. If you're looking for analysis, you could search the archives of The New Yorker or some other magazine like that. Or just ask someone who's read it what they think of the poem.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
zachary_yan
Lulu

Post by zachary_yan »

http://www.wikihow.com/Memorize-a-Poem-Quickly

How effective is this for memorizing poetry?
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

zachary_yan wrote:http://www.wikihow.com/Memorize-a-Poem-Quickly

How effective is this for memorizing poetry?
It's subjective; certain methods for memorizing poetry are bound to work better than others. Some, like these, are common sense (in a way).

I've recently been writing poetry down and reading it aloud as I write. I've always memorized things by writing them down and going over them later. This, of course, is only for shorter poems.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer