2014-2015 BISB General Discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
adamsil
Wakka

2014-2015 BISB General Discussion

Post by adamsil »

General discussion of the set goes here: difficulty, distribution, general trends about categories/answerlines/powermarking, writing style, bad jokes, etc.

The ideology behind this set was basically the same as last year's: relatively easy answer-lines for tossups and easy parts of bonuses, but leadins and hard parts of bonuses that tested quite deep knowledge. Again, we were especially trying to emphasize things that people who had never played quizbowl before would likely have heard of, both as tossup answerlines, and even as bonus parts.

I'd like to thank my co-writers: Brady Weiler wrote nearly all the US history and music, as well as a big chunk of the other arts; Mostafa Bhuiyan wrote the painting; Alex Liu wrote several literature questions when I needed him to; Brady, Alex and Joey Reifenberger also contributed the majority of the trash category between them. Most of the rest of the categories you can blame on me. All of us helped out quite a bit on the editing front as well.

I'm going to be incapacitated by Yom Kippur and then a football game tomorrow evening, which is why I'm posting this now, but I'll try and respond to posts as best I can.
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: 2014-2015 BISB General Discussion

Post by AKKOLADE »

Every bonus part doesn't have to be two-lines long. Did I say this last year?

Either way, stop it! It's bad!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:Every bonus part doesn't have to be two-lines long. Did I say this last year?
You didn't.
Either way, stop it! It's bad!
Sorry! :oops:
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

pajaro bobo wrote:
Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:Every bonus part doesn't have to be two-lines long. Did I say this last year?
You didn't.
I really don't remember if it was such an issue last time, but this time it was pretty much out of hand. There were a lot of cases of clues being added just for the sake of it multiple times in a bonus. Having read for the first time at HSNCT and NSC this year, I think I can say that excluding travel, reading 12 rounds of this was more exhausting than the 18 or whatever at HSNCT and NSC that I read.

That said - I thought your tossups were great, and difficulty was pretty reasonable.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

I'm just a little surprised that the bonuses turned out to be a problem that way, but looking back at some of the packets I can see where you're coming from. Guess we never really thought about that over the summer.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13