TWAIN XIII @ UCLA (11/15/14) [BISB]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

TWAIN XIII @ UCLA (11/15/14) [BISB]

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

The UCLA College Bowl Club is pleased to announce:

***TWAIN XIII***

DATE: The tournament will tentatively be held on Saturday, November 15, 2014.

PARKING: Parking is $12 at various lots throughout the UCLA campus. More parking information here: https://main.transportation.ucla.edu/ca ... g/visitors.

VENUE: Bunche Hall

SCHEDULE:
8:00 am - 8:30 am: Registration Period (All teams must be accounted for by 8:30 am)
8:30 am - 9:00 am: Rules Meeting / Moderator Meeting
9:00 am: Tournament Play
Around 1:00 pm: Lunch
2:00 pm: Afternoon Play -> Playoffs

FOOD:
Breakfast: TBA - Likely will be just juice, maybe some mini muffins.

Lunch: Lunch is available on-campus. Hours of Operation vary for each dining option, but Ackerman Union is definitely open during the weekend.

FORMAT: The tournament will be using the Brookwood Invitational Scholars Bowl set. More information about the set is available at viewtopic.php?f=109&t=16152.

PRICING STRUCTURE:
Base fee = $80 per team
Discounts:
-$5 for a fully-functional buzzer system (Must have four working buzzers on both sides)
-$5 for every 50 miles traveled one-way from your school to UCLA, according to Google Maps
-$40 New School Discount (must not have played in any pyramidal tournament as a school since September 1, 2012)
-$10 for a pre-approved moderator or staff member (The TD has the right to accept or reject the moderator and also reserves the right to withdraw the discount retroactive to payment.)
-$10 for every additional team from a school
Minimum fee = $60 per team (does not apply to new teams)

The cap is unofficially going to be set at 16 teams, but we will see about being able to accommodate further teams.

The TD for this tournament is Hidehiro Anto. The current registration deadline is Monday, November 10 at 5 pm.

If you are interested in attending, please e-mail quizbowl(at)ucla(dot)edu with the following information:
1) Your school's name
2) Coach (or representative) name and e-mail address
3) The number of teams you are bringing
4) The number of buzzer systems, staffers, and any other discounts you wish to validate

If you have any questions about any of this, please e-mail us at the same address as above.
We will keep you updated with more news as the tournament date approaches.

Thanks and hope to see you on Saturday, November 15, 2014!

Field (teams/buzzers/staffers):
Arcadia (3/2/0)
Harvard-Westlake (1/1/0)
Irvine (1/2/0)
La Jolla (2/0/0)
Los Alamitos (2/1/0)
North Hollywood (1/0/1)
Torrey Pines (1/1/0)
Walnut (1/0/0)

Total: 12/7/1
Last edited by coldstonesteveaustin on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
Eddie
Rikku

Re: TWAIN XIII at UCLA, November 15, 2014

Post by Eddie »

I went ahead and cross-posted this to socalquizbowl.org and added it to the tournament schedule page there.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Re: TWAIN XIII @ UCLA (11/15/14) [BISB]

PACE (Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence) has awarded this tournament platinum certification, which means that the top 25% of the field will qualify for the 2015 NSC (National Scholastic Championship), which will take place on June 6-7, 2015, at the Hyatt Regency in Reston, Virginia.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

I'm going to go ahead and close the field at 12 teams. If any more teams sign up, I'll start a waitlist, and if enough teams register, I'll raise the field cap.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

In an exciting advantaged final, Arcadia A with the advantage defeated La Jolla A 365-360, after multiple protests. Congratulations to Arcadia A for winning TWAIN XIII, and thanks to all the teams that came out today. I'd also like to thank our moderators and scorekeepers today: Ezra Berger, Joseph Gorelik, Mik Larsen, Ryan Leou, Priyank Mehta, Craig Messner, Ben Morris, Justin Su, and Sam Winikow.

In addition, Arcadia, La Jolla, and Torrey Pines each qualified a team to PACE NSC, congratulations!

Stats are here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2410
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

On the stats I believe Kevin J from Torrey Pines should be Thor Bjornson.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."