Virginia Tech's VTACO Set Available for Fall 2015 Mirrors!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mattfleischer
Lulu

Virginia Tech's VTACO Set Available for Fall 2015 Mirrors!

Post by mattfleischer »

The Academic Competition Organization at Virginia Tech is pleased to announce its first ever housewrite, the Virginia Tech Academic Competition Occasion, or VTACO. This set was written by members of Virginia Tech's quiz bowl team as well as current players and alumni from Christiansburg High School. Mike Hundley and I will be serving as head editors, and the set will be available for mirrors starting January 31, 2015. The set consists of 14 packets (consisting of 20 tossups and 20 bonuses apiece), and we will also provide ample tiebreaker and replacement questions. We are shooting for this to be a "regular season" tournament that is accessible to players of all ages and skill levels. The set will not be power-marked, and tossups should run around six lines, with three-part bonuses that should generally run no more than two lines per part. We will be looking at submitting this set for PACE certification as soon as it is completed. If you are interested in mirroring or have further questions, please contact me at [email protected].

Mirror Fee
The mirror fee will be $10/team.

Distribution
4/4 History
4/4 Literature
4/4 Science
3/3 Fine Arts
2/2 Religion/Mythology/Philosophy
1.5/1.5 Current Events/Trash
1/1 Geography
0.5/0.5 Social Science

Mirror Sites
Virginia - Virginia Tech (1/31)
Missouri - Ladue Horton Watkins High School (4/11) - LIST V - http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=17041
Georgia - Bainbridge High School (6/27) - SuMO - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xO39Dr ... rm?c=0&w=1
Illinois - Hinsdale Central High School (9/5) - TEAMS - http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=17718
Ohio - Wright State (9/12)
Last edited by mattfleischer on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Matt Fleischer
Christiansburg High School 2013
Virginia Tech 2016
Head Writer and Editor, 2015 VTACO
mattfleischer
Lulu

Re: Virginia Tech's VTACO Set Available for Spring Mirrors!

Post by mattfleischer »

This set is now completely written, and we are now moving on to the editing phase!
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

This set is complete and made a successful and well-received debut at our site on 1/31. We are using conversion metrics and other analytics to evaluate the set and make any necessary revisions. If you're interested in mirroring, please contact me ([email protected]) with your request.
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

We are pleased to announce that a VTACO mirror will be happening at Ladue Horton Watkins High School in St. Louis, MO on April 11, 2015. Registrations can be directed to Patrick Quinn at [email protected]. The link to the tournament announcement can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=17041
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

Because we do not feel we have canvassed a significant enough portion of the quiz bowl world as of yet, VTACO will be made available for use in Fall 2015 mirrors. We have already drawn interest from a couple sites for Fall tournaments, so if you are interested in hosting this set, please contact me at [email protected] as soon as possible for details.
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

We are pleased to announce another VTACO mirror at Bainbridge High School in Georgia! Bainbridge's Summer Mix-up Open (SuMO) will occur on 6/27. Please consult https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xO39Dr ... rm?c=0&w=1 for details!
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016
MitchAlday
Lulu

Re: Virginia Tech's VTACO Set Available for Fall 2015 Mirror

Post by MitchAlday »

SuMO stats are posted! Let me know if anyone finds any errors.
Mitch Alday
Quiz Bowl Ronin
Former Coach - Bainbridge HS (GA)
sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige »

I felt like the Bainbridge mirror turned out pretty well all around. I'd think us Orlando folk would be happy to make the drive up again in the future.

One quick thing to note in the stats: in the 2nd bracket, KIK had 450 in their round against Team Awesome (not 160).

It'd be interesting to hear what sort of feedback you get from the younger / less experienced players at this event, especially to see if the general feel was that they were OK playing alongside the college-folk or if maybe they'd prefer having randomized lower and upper division teams. Either way, I'm sure we'd be back for something like this next year.
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Georgia Tech '26 (anticipated)
ex-Writer, NAQT
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

MitchAlday wrote:SuMO stats are posted! Let me know if anyone finds any errors.
For those who attended the Bainbridge mirror, we encourage you to join the private forum for VTACO set discussion. It can be accessed via the Usergroups tab in your User Control Panel.
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

This is the last call for schools interested in a VTACO mirror! Please let me know in the next week or two if you have any interest in hosting the set; this does not lock you in to doing so. If we don't hear from anyone within that time frame, I'll go ahead and post the set!
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

We are exploring the possibility of one additional mirror, so I will hold off on posting the set until that is finalized.
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016
mattfleischer
Lulu

Post by mattfleischer »

All mirrors of this set have concluded, so it has been sent along for archiving. Thanks to all those who mirrored or played our set!
Matt Fleischer
Virginia Tech 2016