Science Side Event 2015

Old college threads.
Brian McPeak
Lulu

Science Side Event 2015

Post by Brian McPeak »

Hi everyone!

I'd like to edit a packet-sub science tournament to be held sometime in the summer or fall. It would be nice to have it at VCU open-- whether or not this happens depends mostly on how many packets I can get by then. The plan would be to write between two and four packets myself/with coeditors, and to have the rest be submissions-- that means that to have a sizable event, it'd be nice if I could get at least five teams commit to write (though if we have more, I will definitely edit them!)

I'm thinking rounds of 20/20 with a roughly acf distribution (so 25% physics, 25% chem, etc.) but probably with more math, and maybe some trash, phil/ss relating to science, and other fun stuff like that. I think teams of two or three would be good but I'm open to suggestions on this too. I'd probably want to aim for a difficulty that's a little easier than Nats but with a somewhat higher standard deviation.

I would like to make this packet optional because I think that being forced to write might deter a lot of people from playing, but on the other hand, I'm not really interested in writing the whole thing by myself (plus that would be a much worse tournament). If you want this to happen you should a) write a packet and b) bug other science people to write one too.

So you should post here if you:
1) are willing to write a packet
2) have strong feelings about the date or format or team size or things of that sort.
3) want to help edit (especially with CS!).

Also, if you're new at writing/editing, I still encourage you to submit a packet or join the editing team! I'd be willing to give as much feedback as you're willing to hear.

Once I have a better gauge of interest, I'll make a more detailed post about the distribution and stuff like that.

Thanks!
Brian McPeak
University of Maryland
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: Science Side Event 2015

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

1) Yes
2) VCU Open seems to be the ideal site, though I'd prefer it happen at CO (there might not be room). Teams of four is best in my opinion (I think it worked well for Lederberg). Tossups only, with as many layers of power as you want is preferable, as bonuses both swallow large quantities of answer space and take a lot more time
3) Mutually exclusive with my response to #1

EDIT: Let me amend #2 by saying that ideally people like Sethlene, Mike, Jerry, Billy, Stephen, Adam Silverman, etc should be able to show up, wherever it is.
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

1) yes
2) VCU Open weekend is preferrable
3) I'd like to help edit/write as much as I can while still retaining the ability to play.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

There's no room at CO. But I'd love to play something like this.

edit: and happy to write a packet.
Last edited by grapesmoker on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Auroni wrote:1) yes
2) VCU Open weekend is preferrable
3) I'd like to help edit/write as much as I can while still retaining the ability to play.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

1) Yes, maybe with someone who knows physics if possible.
2) If it's at VCUO, I don't plan to play anyway, so it hardly matters to me.
3) I'd be happy to edit or consult on biology (especially ecology/evolution/organismal biology/taxon bowl) and phil/SS of science. EDIT: and math
Last edited by Muriel Axon on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I'll help write some science trash and goofy other-subject science stuff!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Windmill Tump
Wakka

Post by Windmill Tump »

I'd like to write!
Sid Dogra
Detroit Country Day School '13
Michigan '17
NYU '21
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

1) Yes
2) VCU Open works, although I'd prefer CO for proximity reasons. Lederberg 2 Distribution was great in my opinion, definitely scrap bonuses.
3) Not if I can play.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Doga (Dog Yoga)
Lulu

Post by Doga (Dog Yoga) »

Abid Haseeb and I would like to write a packet.
Last edited by Doga (Dog Yoga) on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohith Nagari
Brown '17
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

1) I'll write a packet for this.
2) Tossups only, for sure. Personally, I think this would work better in a doubles format.
3) No way, I'm not missing the opportunity to play this (also I don't know anything about CS).
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

1.) I can write non biology/chemistry things for this. I have a lot of free time this summer so I think contributing some questions to this set is a fine idea.
2.) I think Lederberg ran rather well, imitating it is probably a good idea.
3.) I can help with math/CS/physics, but the scope of my CS knowledge is not very broad, so if a notably good CS player volunteers to edit these, that's probably a much better way for you to go. I would love to edit the math questions as well as contribute some of my own.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

- I love science side events :grin: . If I don't contribute to the set, I'd be looking for a Hinesless online mirror because I'm going to be away, even if it's a just a skype free for all or a casual IRC thing. (Is IRC banned in China?)
- I didn't really like quads for Lederberg 2. I played the 2013 NSC thing as doubles and that seemed to work better.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

this sounds interesting. In fact, I think Joe Su is wrong and the field SHOULD have hines so we can see his growth as the best science player in the game
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

The Last 20 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:looking for a Hinesless online mirror
Why not invite him to play an online mirror of the set? I'm interested to see what new things he has learned to try to get 41 more powers.
Black Miao wrote:this sounds interesting. In fact, I think Joe Su is wrong and the field SHOULD have hines so we can see his growth as the best science player in the game
I shit you not, I did not see this before posting.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I might have time to help edit/write some science. Probably primarily Earth science, maybe a little SS/phil if needed.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

3) I'm new-ish, but I'd like to help edit and write, mostly bio and chem, but also maybe a little physics and astro.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Post by Off To See The Lizard »

New writer, would love to help edit and write
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
Holla!
Lulu

Post by Holla! »

I would enjoy trying to write science history and other goofy things, mostly based on the fraudable clues I memorize yearly for SCT.
Cory Haala
Marquette '20, Northwestern '12, Simley HS '09
"A legitimate scholar" --Dr. Mike Cheyne
Brian McPeak
Lulu

Post by Brian McPeak »

I'm glad to see that there's interest in this event. I think the team size will depend on which tournament we run this-- Lederberg was at ICT so there were plenty of teams even with four people on each one, but if we host it at VCU open, there may be too few people interested at each site. Maybe we can decide once people know where they plan to play VCU open. If someone writes an open tournament for the fall and it has a site with a stronger field, that might be better.

Getting enough packets seems like it won't be a problem. I agree that having no bonuses seems better. Here is the distribution I'm leaning towards right now:

4 physics
4 chemistry
4 biology
3 math
2 earth science
2 computer science
2 astronomy
2 other (including SS/Phil of science, science current events/history, interdisciplinary questions or questions that don't fit well into other categories, or an extra physics, bio, or chem)
1 trash

for a total of 24 tossups per packet.
Brian McPeak
University of Maryland
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

I'm happy to write a large chunk of a packet for this. Doubles or maybe triples seems like a good option. The proposed tossups-only distribution seems good. I'd definitely play this if it somehow wound up happening on CO weekend (and in that case I'm pretty sure Selene would also play); if it's on VCU Open weekend (or some other weekend) I will hopefully but not definitely play and Selene almost certainly won't. Unless there's a Skype mirror (or "main site"?) announced well in advance, in which case I will play and I'm pretty sure Selene would join me.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF