2015 NHBB Nats: Specific Question Discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Cheynem
Sin

2015 NHBB Nats: Specific Question Discussion

Post by Cheynem »

Discuss specific questions here. Ask for them to be posted if you have a specific reason to (although I don't know who's in charge of that).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Maury Island incident
Wakka

Re: Specific Question Discussion

Post by Maury Island incident »

Can I see the Bee tossup on the Battles of Lexington and Concord? I want to read through the actual text before commenting on it.
Colin Cantwell
Lexington '17
UVA '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Edit: Sorry, I've been informed that wasn't the final question at all.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Amos Doolittle made four engravings depicting this campaign. During the final stages of this campaign, 78-year-old Samuel Whittemore, acting alone, killed three enemy soldiers and miraculously survived being bayoneted multiple times. During this campaign, Jason Russell's house in Menotomy was the target of an ambush. This campaign began with a standoff between John Pitcairn and John Parker. Samuel Prescott warned the residents of one of this campaign's targets after William Dawes fell off his horse and Paul Revere was captured. For the point, name this series of battles fought on April 19, 1775, which started the American Revolution.
ANSWER: Battles of Lexington and Concord [prompt on Lexington; prompt on Concord; prompt on breakout of the American Revolution] <KG> {III}
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Oh man the National Science Foundation tossup was all kinds of terrible! Please don't toss up funding agencies ever.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

Post by gimmedatguudsuccrose »

Could I see the tossup on "Quartet for the End of Time" please?

EDIT: I heard this tossup went dead in several rooms
Last edited by gimmedatguudsuccrose on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19
Pancreatic Stork
Lulu

Post by Pancreatic Stork »

The lead-in to the Uffizi Gallery tossup was in my opinion a big hose. It led to both my team and Saratoga buzzer racing to an incorrect answer.
Patrick Canteros,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School '16
johntait1
Lulu

Post by johntait1 »

Could someone post the questions that were labeled "mainstream" Christianity beliefs? Someone said that there were many of those, but I seem to remember mostly heresies(Arianism, lightning on sects, etc) or Christian history(Half Way Covenant) while other religion tossups seemed to be more based on their core beliefs. I personally cannot remember any tossups on a specific book of the Bible or anything, while I remember several of those in past years.
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Bowl Rd. 10 -
10. In 1993, this building was the target of a car bomb set by members of Cosa Nostra. This building was first made public by Grand Duke Peter Leopold of Lorraine. A corridor links this building to the Pitti Palace. This building was originally constructed as an administrative center for Cosimo de Medici, but now houses artworks such as Botticelli's The Birth of Venus. For 10 points, name this art museum located in Florence.
ANSWER: Uffizi Gallery [or Galleria degli Uffizi]
BONUS: What designer of the Uffizi wrote biographies of artists in his Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects, a foundational art history work?
ANSWER: Giorgio Vasari <AK/JL> {I}

Bowl Rd. 14 - First Knockout Rd on Sunday
6. The melody of this piece’s fifth movement was recycled from its composer’s Fête des belles eaux. This piece’s third movement was a solo for Henri Akoka in which the title creatures are “our desire... for jubilant Songs,” “Abyss of the birds.” Karl-Albert Brüll furnished three of the instruments for this piece’s first performance, and subsequently forged a stamp out of a potato to help (+) free its performers. “Liturgy of Crystal” opens this 1941 eight-movement work which was composed in the (*) Stalag VIII-A prisoner of war
camp. For 10 points, what piece for violin, cello, piano, and clarinet was written by Olivier Messiaen?
ANSWER: Quartet For the End Of Time [or Quatour pour la fin du temps] <CW> {III}

Note that I do not have access to the labels of "mainstream Christianity" on my version of the questions, so I'll let Matt or Eric post those if they are able to.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

Great Bustard wrote:Bowl Rd. 10 -
10. In 1993, this building was the target of a car bomb set by members of Cosa Nostra. This building was first made public by Grand Duke Peter Leopold of Lorraine. A corridor links this building to the Pitti Palace. This building was originally constructed as an administrative center for Cosimo de Medici, but now houses artworks such as Botticelli's The Birth of Venus. For 10 points, name this art museum located in Florence.
BONUS: What designer of the Uffizi wrote biographies of artists in his Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects, a foundational art history work?
Oh yeah, this first line immediately triggered a neg on "World Trade Center" in my room as well.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

Corry wrote:
Oh yeah, this first line immediately triggered a neg on "World Trade Center" in my room as well.
I believe my teammate negged first line with World Trade Center as well, seems like this needs some editing.
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Halved Xenon Stinging wrote:
Corry wrote:
I believe my teammate negged first line with World Trade Center as well, seems like this needs some editing.
Sorry about that. When writing this question (I was replacing a tossup that was deemed as not history-esque) I didn't think about the World Trade Center attacks that also happened that year.

EDIT: words
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
johntait1
Lulu

Post by johntait1 »

Could I see the tossups on Mongol Invasions of Japan and Smallpox Inoculation? I answered too generally on those tossups and I was wondering if there was anything in the questions indicating a specific answer was required.
Rudolf Volz's Hamlet In Rock
Lulu

Post by Rudolf Volz's Hamlet In Rock »

Could I please see the tossup on 1666 in which the last clue was the year the Great Fire occurred? I ask because I remember hearing the question ask for the year Charles II was restored, which would have been 1660.
L. Geng
Great Neck South '17
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

Rudolf Volz's Hamlet In Rock wrote:Could I please see the tossup on 1666 in which the last clue was the year the Great Fire occurred? I ask because I remember hearing the question ask for the year Charles II was restored, which would have been 1660.
I wrote this question (it's probably the only year TU I've ever written/ever will write, since I wanted to write something different from my typical style -- normally, I don't like year questions), and that clue mentioned Charles II returning after the Great Plague ended. In retrospect, I could've rephrased it and mentioned the Great Plague before "Charles II returning."
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
Pancreatic Stork
Lulu

Post by Pancreatic Stork »

Could I see the tossup on Hildegard von Bingen? While listening, I thought that Ordo Virtutum was dropped too early, but it could have just been my shock that she would ever come up.
Patrick Canteros,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School '16
Nighthawk
Kimahri

Post by Nighthawk »

If I could see the Fermat question (Bee prelim round 5) again? I think there was something early which threw me to Pythagoras, though that could just be me being pathetic.

Also, I've become slightly infamous for missing the Rage Against the Machine question in bee round six (a final for hardware for me) since 1. I am in the pep band 2. The pep band arranged/played "Killing in the Name" 3. and this was just this semester. *sigh*
Kevin R.
St. Xavier H.S. (KY) '15
University of Louisville '19
2015 National History Bee Consolation Runner-up
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Bowl Round 4, Q 4
7. Following one of these events, the emissary Suh Chan was beheaded. During one of these events, Hong Dagu chose to attack before reinforcements traveling from Zhousan Island arrived. Fan Wenhu and much of a defeated Song army was pressed into service for the (+) second of these conflicts. A series of scrolls about these conflicts, commissioned by Takezaki Suenaga, included a depiction of a (*) landing on northern Kyushu. For 10 points, what 1274 and 1281 invasions were stopped by typhoons known as kamikaze?
ANSWER: Mongol invasions of Japan [or Kublai Khan’s invasions of Japan; or obvious equivalents mentioning Japan being under attack by Mongols] <DW> {I}

Bowl Round 8, Q 1
2. In this year, England lost the Four Days’ Battle against the Dutch. An event in this year interrupted Christopher Wren's first efforts to restore St. Paul's Cathedral. This is the later year commemorated by John Dryden's poem Annus Mirabilis. During this year, Isaac Newton used a prism to produce the spectrum of visible light. In this year, Charles II returned to London from Salisbury at the end of the Great Plague. For 10 points, name this year in which the Great Fire of London occurred.
ANSWER: 1666 <KG> {I}

Bowl Round 11 (JV Round of 32, Varsity 1st Evening Pool Round)
10. Giacomo Pilarino and Emanuel Timoni wrote letters describing this practice in the Ottoman Empire. Zabdiel Boylston observed empirical results of this practice in Massachusetts. Charles Maitland used this practice on the children of (+) Lady Montagu, who spread it throughout Europe. A man who carried out this practice used lesions on the (*) dairymaid Sarah Nelms and injected them into James Phipps. That form of this practice used cowpox. For 10 points, name this medical practice popularized by Edward Jenner, which conferred immunity against a viral disease.
ANSWER: inoculation against smallpox [or variolation against smallpox; or vaccination against smallpox] <JL> {II}

Bowl Round 15 (JV Finals, Varsity Semis), Q 4
3. This woman symbolized spiritual well being with the concept of “viriditas.” Margarethe von Trotta’s film Vision explores the life of this woman, who worked with the approval of Pope Eugenius III. Jutta von Sponheim taught this woman, who invented a language called lingua (+) ignota and recorded her visions in the illustrated book Scivias. She depicted a battle between the Devil and Virtue in what is considered the first (*) morality play, Ordo Virtutum. For 10 points, name this medieval German mystic known for her visions and music, an abbess from Bingen.
ANSWER: Hildegard von Bingen [or Hildegard of Bingen; or Saint Hildegard] <CKM> {III}

Bee Round 5
18. A proof of one of this mathematician’s theorems makes use of the Gorenstein Property. This man developed the method of “infinite descent” to prove his namesake right triangle theorem. A theorem named for this man was proven when a man used the Taniyama-Shimura conjecture to relate elliptic curves to modular forms. Andrew Wiles proved that theorem named for this man three hundred years after his death, which concerns the integer solvability of a three term equation. For the point, name this French mathematician, with a “last theorem” that took centuries to solve.
ANSWER: Pierre de Fermat <Ike> {II}

Bee Round 6
11. A song by this band prompted Alan Keyes to jump into a mosh pit at the 2000 Iowa Caucus. This band called for the release of activist Mumia Abu-Jamal in a song that states "More for Gore or the son of a drug lord? None of the above." Following 9/11, Clear Channel suggested banning this band's entire catalog from radio airplay. The cover of this band's self-titled 1992 album depicts a monk burning himself. Songs like "Guerrilla Radio" appear on their album The Battle of Los Angeles. For the point, name this band known for politically-charged songs such as "Bulls on Parade" and "Killing in the Name."
ANSWER: Rage Against the Machine [or RATM] <KG> {II}
David Madden
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Roman Numerals correspond to difficulty classes. Note that some II questions made it into the final rounds, though most of the playoffs were coded III. Bee Prelims were meant to be coded II.
David Madden
Auger recombination
Rikku

Post by Auger recombination »

I think that the 1666 question dropped Christopher Wren/St. Pauls too early, because I thought that St. Pauls being rebuilt after the fire was a fairly well known thing about the Great Fire. Maybe should have been switched with Annus Mirabilis?
Finn Bender
Edmond Memorial '15
OU '19
Colorado '21
jupiter
Lulu

Post by jupiter »

Could I see the question on the Guadalcanal Campaign from the Bee prelims?
John DiCarlo

Kealing '12
LASA '16
MIT '20
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Since someone mentioned it in the main thread, could I see the science history questions that were in the Canadian bowl final, or whatever he was referring to?

E: It looks like this was posted in the other thread. Sorry!
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

2015 National History Bee National Championships Round 3 - Prelims
1. In this campaign’s first battle, Admiral Crutchley was defeated at Savo Island. Edson’s rangers successfully defended the Lunga ridge during this campaign, which was codenamed Operation Watchtower. Supplies were transported down “the Slot” to this battle by the Tokyo express, and the Cactus Air Force protected the winners of this campaign. Successful defenses of Henderson Field were vital to its outcome. For the point, name this 1942 campaign over a namesake southern Solomon Island, which along with Midway, is considered a turning point of World War II's Pacific theater.
ANSWER: Guadalcanal campaign [accept Operation Watchtower until “Watchtower” is read] <JZ> {II}
David Madden
johntait1
Lulu

Post by johntait1 »

Could I see the question on Profiles in Courage? I felt it was one of the best tossups in the tournament because it successfully a historically significant book with a historically significant figure as the author with many historically significant events.
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

Now that IHBB over is there a timetable on when the set itself will be released?
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

I believe that the European and Asian championships have yet to occur.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Monstruos de Bolsillo
Wakka

Post by Monstruos de Bolsillo »

According to this thread, it will be released on June 15th.
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 04&t=17245
Alex Sankaran
West Chester '17-'21
Henderson (PA) '12-'16
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

1st Quarter, Round 11 (First Sat. Evening Playoff Round)
6. Arthur Krock helped lead the lobbying efforts for this book to win the Pulitzer Prize. It was written while the author was recovering from back surgery, and columnist Drew Pearson claimed that Ted Sorenson actually wrote this book. This book looks at Edmund Ross, who broke party lines to vote for acquittal during Andrew Johnson's impeachment. For 10 points, name this collection of short biographies of U.S. Senators written by John F. Kennedy.
ANSWER: Profiles in Courage <MC> {II}
David Madden
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Monstruos de Bolsillo wrote:According to this thread, it will be released on June 15th.
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 04&t=17245
That's correct.
David Madden