VCU Novice’s distribution accords with previous novice iterations and other easy events—minor variations from the ACF distribution include 1/1 World Lit + “Other” Lit, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Social Science + Philosophy, 1/1 Geography + Current Events, 1/1 Trash. Each packet is 21/21, including a tiebreaker tossup that is academic in nature.
Question length and difficulty is in line with ICCS and the various iterations of EACN.
Unlike EACN and ICCS, VCU Novice has 13 packets. This is intended so that sites may play a finals—something that is required to mirror this set. Given the question length, we don’t anticipate this will cause any issues with time. We’ll provide any help you need with scheduling—simply drop Cody Voight an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with number of teams and any other constraints you have.
The mirror fee for VCU Novice is $6 per player. Hosts are allowed to charge up to $20 per player. Hosts are encouraged to keep costs as low as feasible in order to allow wider participation.
We’re using a slightly modified version of Andrew Hart’s eligibility rules for EACN, with changes in italics:
Andrew Hart wrote:
- All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
- This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
- Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
- Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
- If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
- If you have ever finished in the top 20 in scoring at PACE NSC or top 35 in scoring at NAQT HSNCT, or played on a team that finished in the top 16 at NSC or t-21 at HSNCT.
- If you ever lead a team in scoring that made it beyond the first round of the HSNCT playoffs, or lead a team in scoring that made the top playoff bracket of NSC [the last two years, this has been the top 24 teams].
- If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
- If you have ever won any college tournament.
- Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.
- Even if one of the rule 4 categories applies to you, you may still be able to play! Email Cody Voight at email@example.com to apply for special dispensation. To apply: 1) state which of the rule 4 points would render you otherwise ineligible; 2) list when and how you achieved any of the accomplishments that led to your being otherwise ineligible; and 3) state succinctly why you want to play.
Nick Karas will be helping set up mirrors for VCU Novice. Please e-mail Nick at firstname.lastname@example.org, as well as me at email@example.com, to request a mirror. Mirrors may be run from September 12th through October 10th, with special dispensation available for later mirrors if requested.