ACF Fall Great Lakes at Northwestern (November 7, 2015)

Old college threads.
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

ACF Fall Great Lakes at Northwestern (November 7, 2015)

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Hello!

I am pleased to announce the Great Lakes site of ACF Fall 2015, to be held at Northwestern University on Saturday, 7 November 2015. ACF Fall is the year's premier introductory-level collegiate quizbowl tournament, and we do hope that you join us at this event. The tournament will be directed by me, Dylan Minarik, and will be held in the Fisk/Locy Hall building complex on Northwestern's Evanston campus.

Registration
Registration for this event has two steps:
First, please write to us at [email protected] with team name, number, and buzzer/staffer information.
Second, fill out the central ACF Fall registration form at this site with all relevant information.

Fees
Base fee: $120 for one team from a school, $240 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems*: -$5 each
Staffers: -$10 each No maximum.
Laptop: -$5 each Maximum 1 per team.
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
International**: -$20
New to ACF teams***: -$25
New quizbowl teams****: -$75

* No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
** For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.
*** For schools which haven't played an ACF tournament between September 2013 and August 2015, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.
**** For schools which did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2013, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school. May be combined with new ACF team discount for a total new-team discount of $100.

Packet Discounts/Penalties
Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2014 is required to submit a packet. High school players attending high school-only sites are included in this definition and are subject to the same discounts and penalties as college teams.

Half-packet templates will be sent out to your team after you have submitted the registration form. If you have questions on the submission guidelines, email them to [email protected] and they'll clarify.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2015: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Submission schedule
11.59 PM PST September 13: -$30
11.59 PM PST September 27: -$15 (-$30 if optional)
11.59 PM PST October 11: no penalty (-$25 if optional)
11.59 PM PST October 18: +$25
11.59 PM PST October 25: +$50
After October 25: +$10/day until October 31; teams who are required to submit a packet and do not submit one by November 1 will not be allowed to play.

Payment
Payment for ACF Fall will be processed through the ACF treasurer, Gautam Kandlikar. He will get in touch with you about how much your team owes, how to pay for the tournament, etc. Please contact Gautam with any questions regarding payment.

Note Regarding Highschool Teams
High school teams are no longer allowed to compete in Collegiate ACF Fall events. High school teams in the area interested in playing ACF Fall should instead sign up for the mirror at Northern Illinois University.

For more information, refer to the Global Announcement of ACF Fall 2015 or email the editors at [email protected].
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Harpie's Feather Duster

Re: ACF Fall Great Lakes at Northwestern (November 7, 2015)

This post is reserved for field updates. The current field is capped at 24 teams.

Current Field
Rock Valley College x1
Northern Illinois x2
Lake Forest College x1
Northern Michigan x2
Eureka College x1
Case Western Reserve x1
Knox College x3
Michigan State x3
WUSTL x3
Notre Dame x2
Chicago x6
UIUC x2
SEMO x1
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Harpie's Feather Duster

Field is currently at 21 or 22 teams once I confirm if Knox is bringing a C team or not. Sorry for not updating this promptly: several schools filled out the spreadsheet without e-mailing me, so I didn't know that they had registered. Thankfully everyone got in the field just fine, but it's critical that people read the post in full and e-mail me before registering so this doesn't happen again.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Harpie's Feather Duster

WUSTL signed up 2 more teams, bringing us up to full capacity. I will start a waitlist for teams to sign up for in case a team drops/we can expand the field, but a field expansion does not look likely for now.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Harpie's Feather Duster

The field has been expanded to 28 teams. We may look into expanding to 32 if we can secure enough rooms/moderators and if there's interest.

EDIT: We have reached our cap of 28. If there is more interest, I will start a waitlist again and look into expanding to 32.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

BEST. BRACKET. NAMES. EVER!!!!
TINA! BRING ME THE AXE!!!!

Sean Phillips
Boonville HS 00
WUSTL 04
SLU Law 07
Member MOQBA 2008-present
Is it wrong I like Boonville most of those 3?:)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Prelim stats are finalized at the above link. The first round of playoff stats, plus matches carried over from the prelims, are posted here. I have to leave now and Dylan will be taking over; he does not have access to my webspace, but if he sends me the files at the end of the tournament I will post them there, and of course I am giving him the files to otherwise do with as he pleases.

Case Western left after round 6. Despite their record, they were treated as placing for the last playoff bracket, so that there would be zero playoff brackets with byes instead of the two that there would have been if they were assigned according to their prelim placement.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Harpie's Feather Duster

Chicago D defeated Chicago A in the first game of an advantaged final for the overall title. Chicago A took the top Undergrad and Division II titles, while WUSTL won the Division II second-place trophy outright and withstood a series of tiebreakers to claim the second place Undergrad trophy as well. I will hopefully have some time tomorrow to get the playoff statistics posted.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Harpie's Feather Duster

Prelim Stats, with some corrected names. The rest of the stats will likely be posted by the end of the night.

Update: The rest of the stats are posted.

Playoffs - includes carryover games from prelims
Playoffs plus Finals - includes Final and tiebreakers for 2nd place UG
Combined - contains all games
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE