This is the official global announcement for ACF Regionals 2016, which will take place on January 30, 2016.Editors:
Head Editor: John Lawrence
Co-Editors: Chris Ray, Max Schindler, and Ben ZhangHosts:
We are actively seeking hosts in all of the regions listed below. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Bidding is open until November 8th. If you serve a different region than the ones listed but still think you could attract teams and run a viable site, please feel free to bid anyway. Canada/Niagara:
Carleton University (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18231
Harvard University (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18235
University of Virginia (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18125
Vanderbilt University (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18089&p=310352
Texas A&M (???)Florida:
New College of Florida (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18107&p=310538
University of Minnesota (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18248
University of Chicago (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18097
University of Central Oklahoma (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18065
Stanford University (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18061
University of Warwick (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18124
Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a college student or as a high school student) prior to September 1, 2014 is required to submit a packet.
* For these purposes, all ACF tournaments, NAQT Division I or Division II SCT, NAQT ICT, and typical academic invitationals and summer opens count as regular collegiate academic tournaments. Trash or “hybrid” tournaments, College Bowl/HCASC, and tournaments played on NAQT “Invitational Series” questions do not.
The submission schedule for this tournament is as follows:
The submission schedule for this tournament is:
November 28th, 2015: -$50
December 12th, 2015: -$25
December 26th, 2015: No penalty
January 2nd, 2016: +$25
January 9th, 2016: +$50
After that, +$10 for each additional day that you're late.
After January 16th, 2016: Dropped from the tournament. No exceptions.
Please submit your packet to email@example.com
. The actual e-mail with the attached packet should have a subject-line reading: School + Team Letter (if applicable) PACKET". In order to meet a deadline, you must submit your packet before 11:59 PM Pacific Time on that date. Accessibility:
This year we are making a concerted effort to make ACF Regionals a more accessible tournament. To this end, we are making the following changes:
- At least 50% of tossup answers should be things that can be tossed up at ACF Fall.
This does not mean that you write an ACF Fall-style tossup. Your tossup should still be a "regular-difficulty tossup on an easy answer-line".
- For the remaining 50% of questions, stick to solid regular-difficulty answer-lines, and don't push the envelope.
- Easy parts for bonuses should be genuinely easy, once again along ACF Fall lines.
- While hard parts should still be "regular-difficulty" hard parts, you are encouraged to ask about deep things connecting to easy material, rather than piggy-backing on upper canon answer-lines. For examples of the encouraged approach to bonus hard parts, please see the bonuses from PADAWAN.
- Tossups are going to be hard-capped at 7 lines. Every tossup will have some text on its seventh line. Please feel free to submit tossups that are longer than 7 lines, but do not submit any tossups that are shorter than 7 lines, or we will send them back to you. Distribution:
Each packet should contain 24 tossups and 24 bonuses, distributed as follows:
5/5 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/0 or 0/1 World, 1/2 or 2/1 Misc.)
5/5 History (1/1 American, 3/3 European, Canadian, or Australian, 1/1 World)
5/5 Science (1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/0 or 0/1 Math or Comp Sci, 1/0 or 0/1 Astronomy, Earth Science, or Geology, 1/1 Misc. Science)
2/2 Religion and Myth (1/1 Religion, 1/1 Mythology)
2/2 Philosophy and Social Science (1/1 Philosophy, 1/1 Social Science)
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Painting, 1/1 Non-Opera Classical Music, 1/0 or 0/1 Misc. Visual Arts, 1/0 or 0/1 Misc. Auditory Arts)
1/0 or 0/1 Geography
1/0 or 0/1 Current Events
1/0 or 0/1 Trash
1/0 or 0/1 Misc. Academic
Failure to conform to this distribution will result in the packets being returned to its authors, with instructions to fix the mis-distribution.
For further details about distribution, please consult the ACF website.Further Questions:
If you have any further questions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Central Florida A
Johns Hopkins B
Johns Hopkins A
University of Georgia
Johns Hopkins C
William & Mary A
University of Florida A
Kansas State A
University of Tulsa A
University of South Carolina
Rochester ADiscussion of minimum length requirements has been split to here. --mgmt