Where Are You Going Next Year? (Collegiate 2016)

Old college threads.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Where Are You Going Next Year? (Collegiate 2016)

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

As Jacob O'Rourke's thread in the high school section reminds me, it's that time of year again where people start to hear back from transfer applications, grad school apps, job offers, landlords, etc. and make plans to go places. Here is a thread in which current college players or members of the college quizbowl community can post where they'll be next. Please post only if you have something definite to share, though that includes things besides "I am going to x and such school for [Degree]"; more general notes on moving to a new metropolitan area as a non-student/non-player/employee interested in continuing to staff or do outreach, etc.

I guess I'll start by saying that I decided not to go back to school next year, which maybe dispels some rumors that were floating about.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year? (Collegiate 2016)

Post by 1.82 »

I will be pursuing a one-year Master of Science at the Georgia Institute of Technology. I'd like to play quizbowl during that time.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I am actually leaving academia and will be back in the West Michigan area.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I'll be working in management consulting in the DC area. I plan on playing whatever I'm allowed to, time permitting of course.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I will be relocating to New York City this summer where I will continue my long-standing policy of being old and showing up at open tournaments. I may occasionally be available to moderate things in NYC and immediate environs.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

I will continue being a hanger on who contributes nothing to the community, but, for the moment, from metro Atlanta instead of Connecticut.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

In the fall, I will be starting a one-year medical laboratory science program on the North Shore of Chicago, and do not intend to return to Georgia. I look forward to witnessing Illinois high school quizbowl firsthand.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant wrote:In the fall, I will be starting a one-year medical laboratory science program on the North Shore of Chicago, and do not intend to return to Georgia. I look forward to witnessing Illinois high school quizbowl firsthand.
Continuing the Georgia to Illinois exodus--I'm starting a PhD in Chemical Engineering at Northwestern University in the Fall. I will likely be open to staff tournaments--whether or not I play is pretty up in the air, though.
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

I'm starting a 3-year JD program at the University of Toronto this fall and plan to continue playing quizbowl.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

I will begin my retirement. How long I remain retired is anyone's guess, however I know very few people who are willing to bet on the "forever" option so there's that. I probably qualify as an old person now. I will probably still play every chance I get, staff things, and continue to find my way onto good teams at side events. I hope to help edit the occasional college tournament as time permits.
Last edited by The Ununtiable Twine on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

I'm going to Minnesota for a two-year MS in Statistics. I'd love to continue staffing, especially (but maybe not exclusively?) at collegiate tournaments. The only situation in which I can see myself playing is if there's a spot on a DI NAQT team that would otherwise go unfilled--I'm done with learning stuff specifically for quizbowl.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

Not sure how pertinent this is, but I will be abroad in Lebanon in the fall. I'll make my glorious return to quizbowl 2017.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Not sure how pertinent this is either, but I'll be at Oxford in the autumn, and back at Chicago in 2017.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
The Favourite
Wakka

Post by The Favourite »

I'll be attending the University of Oklahoma next year, pursuing an MA in Applied Linguistics. I plan on playing still, but plan to TD and staff tournaments more often than I have been able to recently.
Tracey Hickman
Rock Creek 12
Redlands 14
Central Oklahoma 16
Coach, Murray State College (OK)
Former Coach, Coalgate Schools (OK)
Curriculum Director, Oklahoma Quizbowl Camps
vengefulsweatermensch
Wakka

Post by vengefulsweatermensch »

serasuna wrote:Not sure how pertinent this is either, but I'll be at Oxford in the autumn.
Hey, me too! British people: I wouldn't mind attending a few practices or staffing a tournament, if Americans are allowed to do such things in your country.
Nathan Weiser
LASA '14, Stanford '18, Stanford Law '24
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

vengefulsweatermensch wrote:
serasuna wrote:Not sure how pertinent this is either, but I'll be at Oxford in the autumn.
Hey, me too! British people: I wouldn't mind attending a few practices or staffing a tournament, if Americans are allowed to do such things in your country.
The Cantabs are literally freaking out at the news in this thread so far.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Short-beaked echidna wrote:
vengefulsweatermensch wrote:
The Cantabs are literally freaking out at the news in this thread so far.
It would help you more if they came in the spring, though.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
CaseyB
Wakka

Post by CaseyB »

I will be attending Michigan Tech in the fall to start an MS in Mathematical Sciences. I do wish to remain involved in quiz bowl while at MTU.
Casey Bindas
PACE VP of Event Management
Michigan Tech 2016-18
VCU 2015-16
UCF 2011-15
Canton HS (MI) 2007-11
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I don't suppose anyone knows of anyone heading to the Pacific Northwest...
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

CaseyB wrote:I will be attending Michigan Tech in the fall to start an MS in Mathematical Sciences. I do wish to remain involved in quiz bowl while at MTU.
That's Awesome! Michigan Tech always struck me as a good place for a quiz bowl team in spite of relative geographic isolation. Hopefully you'll have good luck. In undergrad, my Cosmology professor (whose had just finished his role as "Head of Theoretical Astrophysics" at Fermilab) said to the class about Michigan Tech students after giving a talk there, "Man, those kids are nerdy."
Rachel
UChicago 09
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

For what extremely little it's worth, I'll be at Central Connecticut State for another semester in the Fall, meaning I'll play stuff held at Yale if I can and hopefully staff some tournaments if I ever get a weekend off from work.
Rachel
UChicago 09
sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige »

I'm continuing my second master's at UF starting this fall, where I'll probably play a few tournaments here and there.
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Georgia Tech '26 (anticipated)
ex-Writer, NAQT
rxailagan
Lulu

Post by rxailagan »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:
CaseyB wrote:I will be attending Michigan Tech in the fall to start an MS in Mathematical Sciences. I do wish to remain involved in quiz bowl while at MTU.
That's Awesome! Michigan Tech always struck me as a good place for a quiz bowl team in spite of relative geographic isolation. Hopefully you'll have good luck. In undergrad, my Cosmology professor (whose had just finished his role as "Head of Theoretical Astrophysics" at Fermilab) said to the class about Michigan Tech students after giving a talk there, "Man, those kids are nerdy."
Glad to see that you want to play there! I've been in contact with their team (and Northern) about strengthening the quizbowl community between the two peninsulas so let me know if you'd want to be involved in that.

As for me, I'm graduating from Michigan and I'm almost positive (I know this isn't definite I'm sorry) that I'll be attending Wayne State University in Detroit for a Masters before applying for medical school. Planning to continue staffing things for sure. Only way this would change is the small chance I end up doing my Masters at Boston University but I won't know for a while.
Roxanne Ilagan

Grosse Pointe North '12
University of Michigan '16
Wayne State University '18, SOM '23
Formerly PACE, ACF
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

I'm not going anywhere, but I will be starting to scale back my involvement in quizbowl in 2016-17, including the near-certainty that I will be at neither college national (though I hope to be back staffing at least one in future years).
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Cody wrote:I'm not going anywhere, but I will be starting to scale back my involvement in quizbowl in 2016-17, including the near-certainty that I will be at neither college national (though I hope to be back staffing at least one in future years).
I'm in a very similar position, since I'm starting my teaching career. I'm planning to stay a presence in the community to some extent, but I suspect my major tournament editing and directing days are over (I'm hoping to remain a day-of logistics person for things like NSC and ACF Nats, pending my school schedule cooperating, but I'm no longer able to take on long-term projects). I will stay an NAQT subject editor in the topics relevant to my work and a friendly neighborhood board moderator as far into the foreseeable future as those groups will have me, though, and I'll staff Richmond-area events whenever I don't have a competing school obligation.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
cruzeiro
Rikku

Post by cruzeiro »

I'm moving to Queen's University to pursue a MA in Economics and a JD (combined program). I still intend to play tournaments.
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man
Lulu

Post by The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man »

I'll be mostly in Minnesota from the beginning of June until the end of September, and I'm interested in playing open events in the upper midwest during this time.
Alex Gerten
Wisconsin '12
Columbia '16
mjoy
Lulu

Post by mjoy »

That's great news--the Tech team is comprised of very nice folks. They (and the equally-fine people from Lawrence University) came to Marquette a few weeks ago for what I'm assuming is the first-ever Upper Peninsula collegiate quiz bowl tournament. I'm sure they'll be glad to have you!
Michael Joy
Faculty Advisor/"Coach"/Travel Agent
Northern Michigan University Quiz Bowl
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED to next year's Twin Cities-area tournaments.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
University of Minnesota '20
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Mike Bentley wrote:I don't suppose anyone knows of anyone heading to the Pacific Northwest...
I'm going to UVic this fall for a music degree. I don't have plans to start a team, but I wouldn't mind going to Seattle once in a while.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:I don't suppose anyone knows of anyone heading to the Pacific Northwest...
I'm going to UVic this fall for a music degree. I don't have plans to start a team, but I wouldn't mind going to Seattle once in a while.
Awesome.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

I'm joining the American exodus to Oxford in the fall, and I'll be staying for the rest of the year too. #shoethetabs?
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone
Wakka

Post by Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone »

Kouign Amann wrote:I'm joining the American exodus to Oxford in the fall, and I'll be staying for the rest of the year too. #shoethetabs?
:party:
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

We're going to be in Boston for a year, starting in a couple weeks. I might be able to help staff some events in the area, or I might extend my "don't show up to anything" streak.

After that, perhaps we'll finally live in a city not named for a classic rock band.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I'll be starting a PhD at OSU; will probably enter at least a few years of greatly scaled-back activity, but I'm hoping to still show up to stuff.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

setht wrote:We're going to be in Boston for a year, starting in a couple weeks. I might be able to help staff some events in the area, or I might extend my "don't show up to anything" streak.

After that, perhaps we'll finally live in a city not named for a classic rock band.

-Seth
dibs

(Seth and co. welcoming, of course)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Conversations at HSNCT and NSC alerted me that a Facebook status, changing my signature here, and word of mouth haven't been enough to spread the news. Sorry about that.

This fall I'll be returning to the University of Michigan to start an MS in Information (MSI) through their School of Information. It's a two-year program. I'll continue playing and staffing tournaments. More importantly, I'll coach up the A team on a certain pop culture topic that doomed them in this year's ICT final.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

I suppose I should actually announce that I'm working in Seattle for the near future. I'll be around and *may* want to take a class or two.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

I'm starting a 5-year PhD at UConn this fall, so I'll be around the New England area for the foreseeable future and can staff tournaments. I may or may not play a few things outside of field season if time allows.
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21
Fat Lip
Lulu

Post by Fat Lip »

I'll be starting my MAcc at the University of Oklahoma, and will probably babysit the B-team.
Dustin Austin
Yukon High School '11
Redlands Community College '13
University of Central Oklahoma '15
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I'm living in Denver, CO at least until September 8, and likely until Election Day. I almost certainly won't have time to staff or play anything unless it's on a Sunday (not that Colorado is a bastion of quizbowl anyway).
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ObsidianFoot
Lulu

Post by ObsidianFoot »

I will begin attending The George Washington University Law School in a few weeks. I do not plan to play anything, with the possible exception of opens, but I will be happy to staff any tournaments in the Washington, DC area that need the help.
Charles Tian
University of Chicago, 2014

ACF Nationals 2013 Undergraduate Champion

"You should have seized power, Tian!" --Rob Carson, 2012 National History Bee and Bowl
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

I'm moving to Chicago soon, I'll be available to staff things and play open events.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Steeve Ho You Fat wrote:I will continue being a hanger on who contributes nothing to the community, but, for the moment, from metro Atlanta instead of Connecticut.
Just kidding, I'll be doing so from cloudy and cold Stamford Connecticut instead.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Walnut Hills High School '11
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Me, when I dreamed a dream in time gone by wrote:I'm going to Minnesota for a two-year MS in Statistics. I'd love to continue staffing, especially (but maybe not exclusively?) at collegiate tournaments. The only situation in which I can see myself playing is if there's a spot on a DI NAQT team that would otherwise go unfilled--I'm done with learning stuff specifically for quizbowl.
I'm leaving Minnesota after this semester for curricular reasons. I'll be going to DePaul University in Chicago January 2017-June 2018 for my MS in Predictive Analytics, which is a more applied/computational program. I'm pretty heartbroken to leave UMN/Minneapolis-area quizbowl(ers) and want to remain active staffing (and possibly crashing practices?) around Chicago, although I reserve the right to go to an easy tournament at UMN before I graduate.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Aaron's Rod wrote:I'm leaving Minnesota after this semester for curricular reasons. I'll be going to DePaul University in Chicago January 2017-June 2018 for my MS in Predictive Analytics, which is a more applied/computational program. I'm pretty heartbroken to leave UMN/Minneapolis-area quizbowl(ers) and want to remain active staffing (and possibly crashing practices?) around Chicago, although I reserve the right to go to an easy tournament at UMN before I graduate.
:sad:
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Aaron's Rod wrote:
Me, when I dreamed a dream in time gone by wrote:I'm going to Minnesota for a two-year MS in Statistics. I'd love to continue staffing, especially (but maybe not exclusively?) at collegiate tournaments. The only situation in which I can see myself playing is if there's a spot on a DI NAQT team that would otherwise go unfilled--I'm done with learning stuff specifically for quizbowl.
I'm leaving Minnesota after this semester for curricular reasons. I'll be going to DePaul University in Chicago January 2017-June 2018 for my MS in Predictive Analytics, which is a more applied/computational program. I'm pretty heartbroken to leave UMN/Minneapolis-area quizbowl(ers) and want to remain active staffing (and possibly crashing practices?) around Chicago, although I reserve the right to go to an easy tournament at UMN before I graduate.
Sad day, indeed! But I'm glad you'll be in a better program for you.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE