2016 National Quiz Bowl Awards: Winners Posted

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

2016 National Quiz Bowl Awards: Winners Posted

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB is happy to sponsor the fifth annual National Quiz Bowl Awards for the 2015-2016 season. $2000 in prize money and plaques will go to recognize the nation's top students and coaches at the middle and high school level.

Here are the awards that will be given out - these are the same as last year, but the prizes have increased (the money that went to the NASAT banquet last year has been added to the prize pool instead)

1. Top 9th grade player - $200 prize
2. Top 10th grade player - $200 prize
3. National High School Player of the Year - $300 prize
4. National High School A Team (i.e. students who rank 1-4 in the High School Player of the Year Voting) - $150 for students ranking 2-4
5. National Middle School Player of the Year - $200 prize
6. National High School Coach of the Year - $200 prize
7. National Middle School Coach of the Year - $200 prize

The remaining $250 will cover a plaque for each recipient, which will be sent to them by the end of July together with their check.

Nominating Procedure
The nominating committee consisted of Niki Peters, Raynell Cooper, and David Madden. We each ranked 3 players/coaches in order for each of these categories except high school player of the year - for that category, five names were submitted. Rankings were done on a (9-7) 5-3-1 basis based in order of their ranks from each nominator. We then tallied the votes and the top 3 players/coaches for each position are listed below. The first exception to this is the High School Player of the Year, which would normally have top 8 players, but two players were tied for 8th place, so 9 names are listed. Likewise, there was a tie for third place in the 10th grade Player of the Year, so 4 names are listed there.

Voting Procedure
Voting this year is limited to coaches, organizers, and players who were in at least their 2nd year of collegiate play during 2015-16 and played at least 3 tournaments over the course of the year. High school players are not eligible to vote, even if they have played college-level events for two years. Coaches who are nominated will not have their votes counted for Coach of the Year in the level at which they coach. Nominees are now posted and voting is open. It will run from now through 11:59pm PDT on June 30. The winners will be announced by July 2. Voters will submit their ballots by emailing Niki Peters at [email protected] Please do NOT email/PM me personally.

Everyone who votes will select only 1 player/coach for each category, except National High School Player of the Year - for that, select 4, and label them in order. They will be ranked 7-5-3-1 with the top overall vote-getter being the National High School Player of the Year, and the next 3 highest scorers being on the National A team.

If you are voting, you may leave a category with which you are unfamiliar blank (or vote for only 1-4 people in a given category) That is indeed preferable than casting an uninformed ballot. Voters are encouraged to review performances of those who are on the ballot - more weight of course should be given to recent National Championship performances than other results. Also, the nominating committee reserves the right to disallow ballots if we have reason to suspect that you are unfamiliar with the high school/middle school quiz bowl community. We may also contact you to clarify this, if there is reason to suspect your awareness of quiz bowl at a national level. Note that this does not mean that only people who organize or are intimately familiar with the game on a national basis can vote, but rather that we want informed voters for a fair vote.

Also, in the interest of time, I am not going to be able to go through and post individual statlines, but I strongly encourage all voters to look up stat reports when considering their votes, especially here:
http://www.naqt.com/stats/player-search.jsp - specific players
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/ - general stats
https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-t ... nt_id=6600 - HSNCT
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3766/ - NSC
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ebreakers/ - NASAT

Update July 5 - Winners' names are now listed below in bold. Thanks to everyone who voted, and congratulations to all the winners and nominees!

9th Grade Player of the Year
1. William Golden, James Taylor, TX
2. Olivia Lamberti, Adlai Stevenson, IL
3. Daniel Ma, Hunter College, NY

10th Grade Player of the Year
1. Robert Crawford, DCC, MI
2. Rohan Hedge, Thomas Jefferson, VA
3. Jeffrey Qiu, Canyon Crest, CA
4. Ethan Skinner, Davis, CA

High School Player of the Year
1. Ryan Golant, Thomas Jefferson, VA
2. Jakob Myers, Naperville North, IL - National A Team (2nd in POTY)
3. Ethan Russo, LASA, TX
4. Ali Saeed, Adlai Stevenson, IL
5. Luke Tierney, Hunter College, NY National A Team (4th in POTY)
6. Cole Timmerwilke, Auburn, IL National A Team (3rd in POTY)
7. Corin Wagen, LASA, TX - Player of the Year
8. Eric Wolfsberg, Bethlehem Central, NY
9. Kion You, Rancho Bernardo, CA

High School Coach of the Year
1. Jason Flowers & Adam Escandell, LASA, TX
2. Linda Greene, Auburn, IL
3. Dennis Loo, Thomas Jefferson, VA

Middle School Player of the Year
1. John Phipps, Middlesex, CT
2. Arjun Subramanian, Team Pi-oneers, CA
3. Justin Young, Longfellow, VA

Middle School Coach of the Year
1. Eugene Huang, Longfellow, VA
2. Arvinder Oswal, Team Pi-oneers, CA
3. Ken Romeo, Middlesex, CT
Last edited by Great Bustard on Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
bluejay123
Lulu

Re: 2016 National Quiz Bowl Awards: Nominees Up, Vote Thru 6

Post by bluejay123 »

Great Bustard wrote:The nominating committee consisted of Niki Peters, Raynell Cooper, and David Madden.
And it's the National QUIZBOWL Awards? Kind of confused on how the nominating committee of NHBB folks extends to the entire realm of quizbowl, but ok.
Jaya Alagar
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

bluejay123 wrote:
Great Bustard wrote:The nominating committee consisted of Niki Peters, Raynell Cooper, and David Madden.
And it's the National QUIZBOWL Awards? Kind of confused on how the nominating committee of NHBB folks extends to the entire realm of quizbowl, but ok.
Combined, Raynell, Niki, and I have over 25 years of involvement in quiz bowl, and don't forget that NHBB now runs the all-subject US Academic Bee and Bowl, so I think those are more than sufficient bona fides.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Great Bustard wrote: Combined, Raynell, Niki, and I have over 25 years of involvement in quiz bowl
Uhhh

User warned for content-less post
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

As a reminder, voting closes today, so please vote if you haven't yet done so and are eligible to! Ballots should be submitted to [email protected] according to the process outlined in the initial post.
David Madden
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The rest of the thread has been moved here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 04&t=18758.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

To reiterate my on-topic point: I really can't believe DCC's coaches weren't nominated for coach of the year. If you don't want to nominate one of their players for PotY, that's fine, they were very evenly distributed. But when you have 3 top 5 finishes and 4 top 8 finishes at NSC & HSNCT, you're doing something very right.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

It's a policy not to release nomination votes or otherwise comment on individual nominations. That said, I'm open to a slightly larger nominating committee next year that encompasses more than NHBB staff members - if anyone (at least 2 years out of high school) is interested in serving on such a committee, they are welcome to contact me at any point.
David Madden
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

AKKOLADE wrote:To reiterate my on-topic point: I really can't believe DCC's coaches weren't nominated for coach of the year. If you don't want to nominate one of their players for PotY, that's fine, they were very evenly distributed. But when you have 3 top 5 finishes and 4 top 8 finishes at NSC & HSNCT, you're doing something very right.
And their strong B team, if they were coached by the same person.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

raffi_-_c-a-n-a-d-a.mp3 wrote:
AKKOLADE wrote:To reiterate my on-topic point: I really can't believe DCC's coaches weren't nominated for coach of the year. If you don't want to nominate one of their players for PotY, that's fine, they were very evenly distributed. But when you have 3 top 5 finishes and 4 top 8 finishes at NSC & HSNCT, you're doing something very right.
I think that's being included by Fred in the "3 top 5" and "4 top 8" bit; combining the performances of DCC-A and DCC-B.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

jonpin wrote:
raffi_-_c-a-n-a-d-a.mp3 wrote:
I think that's being included by Fred in the "3 top 5" and "4 top 8" bit; combining the performances of DCC-A and DCC-B.
Yeah.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Winners have now been posted in the original post upthread in bold. Congratulations to the 2016 National Quiz Bowl Award winners and nominees, and thanks to all who voted!
David Madden
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

If anyone has email addresses for Robert Crawford or Cole Timmerwilke (or if they themselves are reading this) and could contact me with those so I can arrange for them to receive their awards, that would be great.
David Madden
Nate714
Lulu

Re: 2016 National Quiz Bowl Awards: Winners Posted

Post by Nate714 »

I don't know if this is the right thread to put this, but Mr. Madden: Have the High School NHBB questions sets for the 15-16 year (Both Regionals and Nationals) been posted somewhere like NHBB did for 14-15? I would like to be able to use them for practice. :smile:
Nathan Finn
St. Lawrence University '23
Leonia High School '19
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: 2016 National Quiz Bowl Awards: Winners Posted

Post by Great Bustard »

Nate714 wrote:I don't know if this is the right thread to put this, but Mr. Madden: Have the High School NHBB questions sets for the 15-16 year (Both Regionals and Nationals) been posted somewhere like NHBB did for 14-15? I would like to be able to use them for practice. :smile:
They'll be posted by mid-October - there's a chance that they might be used as late as then in Australia and New Zealand if needed, though by the end of September is much more likely.
David Madden