Announcement: SHAWARMA I (visual movies)

Old college threads.
Beast Mode
Lulu

Announcement: SHAWARMA I (visual movies)

Post by Beast Mode »

At long last, here is the official announcement for the first of two tournaments titled SHAWARMA (Saul Hankin Admittedly Watches Appallingly Random Movies; Apologies). Both are visual tournaments about movies I like a là Connor Teevens's awesome TAMIL. Despite the title, most of these movies are ones that I think other people like, or at least have seen, or at least can fraud. This tournament is done and free to play, so I hope mirrors will take place for the rest of this semester. (A "mirror" could be as something as casual as a quizbowl practice.)

Why two tournaments?

My original plan was to do one big tournament, evenly split between movies made before and after I was born (1991). However, it turned out that grad school actually kept me busy, so I broke SHAWARMA into two tournaments in order to have something ready for play sooner. SHAWARMA I covers only movies from after I was born; SHAWARMA II will cover only movies from before I was born. (So stay tuned, fellow Turner Classic Movies watchers.)

About the tournament:

-It consists of five rounds (two of which were already played by some people at HSNCT and NSC), each composed of 20 tossups on movies I like and one single-slide tossup on a movie I dislike. (This follows the 20 regulation tossups, and can be used as a very lame tiebreaker if your format of choice requires those.)

-Each round has the following chronological distribution:
  • four tossups on movies from 1991-1995
  • four tossups on movies from 1996-2000
  • four tossups on movies from 2001-2005
  • four tossups on movies from 2006-2010
  • four tossups on movies from 2011-2015
  • one joke tossup on movies from 1991-2015 (The five joke tossups for the tournament are drawn, one apiece, from the five half-decades demarcated above.)
-None of these movies came up in TAMIL.

-Gameplay (shamelessly stolen from TAMIL) is as follows:
  • Every tossup asks players to "Name the movie."
  • Every regulation tossup has eight slides (down from TAMIL's nine); the first three have a sky blue background to indicate power, and the last one has a green background to indicate it's the giveaway.
-For those who are running this for players under 17 and care: I have tossed up R-rated movies, but none of the tossups are R-rated (by the strictest definition of the MPAA; some of them push it).

-Alternate answers and prompts are sometimes more generous than players should expect in an actual tournament setting, and I hereby empower moderators to be even more generous as the spirit moves them, unless there's a "do not accept" directive in the answerline. (For example: a few people have buzzed in early on one particular tossup and replaced the word "and" in the title with "versus." I was so pleased with the buzz that I gave it to them.)

-Spoiler: there are spoilers.

To ask questions about the set, request the set for a mirror, or give feedback:

Email me at saul [dot] hankin [at] comcast [dot] net to request the set. You can also email me with questions and feedback, or post here if your concern is one that others might have (and doesn't spoil answers).
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

Re: Announcement: SHAWARMA I (visual movies)

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

This was mirrored at Carleton last weekend, and I can confirm that it is a quick and incredibly fun tournament. I'm glad we had an opportunity to play it and if anyone else is considering running it as a side event I would highly recommend it.

In case anyone is looking for stats from the Carleton SHAWARMA mirror, they are here.
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Per a request, I'll be maintaining in this post a list of "public" mirrors of the set (as opposed to, say, a team just running it in practice). If I've forgotten your public mirror, email me.

-Penn emailed me the week before their Penn Bowl mirror about running it either at Penn Bowl (October 24) or some other time; if it was "some other time," they were thinking of opening it up to people in their area. It didn't happen at the Penn Bowl mirror, and I don't know if anything came of another date.
-Carleton University ran it at their Penn Bowl mirror on November 14.
-Brown ran it at their Missouri Open mirror on November 14.
-Michigan will run it at their MLK mirror on January 16.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

I'd like to post SHAWARMA I on the archive by the start of August, so email me in the next week if you want a copy to run it for people who still haven't seen it. Assuming no one makes such a request by the end of Chicago Open weekend, I'll open things up here for a few days of discussion before posting the set. Said discussion will mainly be a chance for people to recommend switching the order of slides in a given tossup, as I'm far too lazy to replace bad slides or tossups.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

When does SHAWARMA II come out? I've been waiting for years.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Cheynem wrote:When does SHAWARMA II come out? I've been waiting for years.
I hope to have it ready by the next HSNCT.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

It'd be good to finally have a quality visual film tournament.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

I've had a request to mirror this on August 20, so discussion and uploading won't take place for another few weeks.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Beast Mode wrote:I've had a request to mirror this on August 20, so discussion and uploading won't take place for another few weeks.
This happened, and I didn't have any other requests for an end-of-summer mirror, so I'm now opening up the set for a week or so of discussion before I post it. Let me know if you need a copy of the set to refer to when commenting here.

I won't be replacing any slides or tossups because I'm far too lazy, but if you think a tossup's slides should be in a different order, I'll have a look and see if I agree.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Beast Mode, on September 7, wrote:I'm now opening up the set for a week or so of discussion before I post it.
Fine work, Saul. (Thanks to Aakash Patel for asking me if I was still planning to post the set, thus making me realize that I'd completely forgotten to do so for a month and a half. Sorry, everyone.)

Turns out the rounds are too big for me to upload myself, so I've sent the set off to Jeffrey Hill for archiving. I'll add a link here when the set is up.

EDIT: SHAWARMA I is up. Thanks to Jeff, and I hope everyone who hasn't already seen the set will download it and enjoy it.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Beast Mode wrote:
Cheynem wrote:When does SHAWARMA II come out? I've been waiting for years.
I hope to have it ready by the next HSNCT.
Update: this won't happen, as I've currently written 13 tossups out of 100. I think even the August open is too optimistic a goal, but if I end up being wrong, hosts can certainly run it then. Most likely, we're looking at SHAWARMA II coming together by the 2018 HSNCT.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)