2017 USABB Nationals: Memorial Day Weekend (5/26-29) Chicago

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

2017 USABB Nationals: Memorial Day Weekend (5/26-29) Chicago

Post by Great Bustard »

The US Academic Bee and Bowl is pleased to its announce that its second National Championships will be held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago/Rosemont, IL over Memorial Day weekend (May 26-29). A full program of events and list of costs will be forthcoming, but we've confirmed the dates and location, so we wanted to get the word out about that at the start of the year for planning purposes.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: 2017 USABB Nationals: Memorial Day Weekend (5/26-29) Chi

Post by Cody »

I do hope that anyone considering staffing a national this weekend will be in Atlanta.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

Was there any effort made to schedule this for a weekend that isn't claimed by one of the real HS Nationals?
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

That weekend works out best mostly because of the third day that students are off from school, and as it was at least two weeks removed from MSNCT. Late April is not an option, due to NHBB HS Nationals, and in June we are running our IHBB championships. We're certainly aware of the overlap with HSNCT, but that weekend was nevertheless the best weekend for those reasons.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

[EDIT] Misread which forum we were in.

My initial response decried splitting the high school nationals field by scheduling a tournament that directly competes with it; now that I know this is a middle school event I will just expand on Cody's statement and say good luck finding competent staffers when everyone available should be at HSNCT.
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Isn't USABB just for elementary and middle school? I don't see this as catastrophic, unless USABB is counting on siphoning large amounts of staff from HSNCT.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB / USABB already has a sizeable pool of staffers who do not typically staff NAQT events; I will be working on increasing this pool over the coming year. We have almost ten months to accomplish this. Also, this can be augmented as needed, especially given that we heard of a number of reports of NAQT turning away people interested in staffing HSNCT this past year / competent staffers who were not invited. (edit for clarification)
Last edited by Great Bustard on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Madden
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Ndg wrote:Isn't USABB just for elementary and middle school? I don't see this as catastrophic, unless USABB is counting on siphoning large amounts of staff from HSNCT.
Yes, USABB is just elementary and middle school. Also, keep in mind that we typically over a significant discount on registration fees for coaches who staff.
David Madden
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Ndg wrote:Isn't USABB just for elementary and middle school? I don't see this as catastrophic, unless USABB is counting on siphoning large amounts of staff from HSNCT.
Yes. But, trust me, you can't competently run this (huge) tournament without a number of competent staff, which is not ever-available outside of quizbowl. I hope that anyone staffing that weekend will first be talking to NAQT once staff registration opens up (because you're much more likely to be turned away later in the game).
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

It shouldn't matter to anyone when or where this event is, because volunteering to aid David Madden is off the table indefinitely for anyone with ethical standards.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF