University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: 2016 CO Trash specific question discussion

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I was happy to get the "performance artists" toss-up on the description of "The Family Fang," but I'm curious where that question was going. Could y'all post it?
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

CO Trash 2016 wrote:In a 2015 film, parents with this profession force their children, played in later scenes by Maryann Plunkett and Jason Bateman, to sing a song with the lyric “kill all parents so you can keep living”; those parents conspire to disappear so that they can reemerge after they are declared legally dead. The 2007 documentary Here Is Always Somewhere Else is about a man of this profession named Bas Jan Ader, who disappeared while sailing across the Atlantic. Two parents with this profession are central to the aforementioned Bateman film and the Kevin Wilson novel on which it was based, both titled The Family Fang. In works styled as (*) Rhythms, a woman of this profession played the Russian game with a knife and her fingers, took a pill that made her have seizures, and placed seventy-two objects around herself with instructions that they may be used on her as observers please. For 10 points, name this profession of Marina Abramović.
ANSWER: performance artists [or conceptual artists; prompt on “artists”; do not accept or prompt on “painters” or other types of artists] <Hart>
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Ah, I figured it would go academic. I couldn't think of many pop cultural depictions of performance artists that are very well known (or, really, any). Thanks!
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Could I see the question on Super Metroid? I was thrown by the earliness of the use of "Wrecked Ship" and am curious how it went after that.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

CO Trash 2016 wrote:A wrecked ship in this game is home to roaming collections of souls called Covern. Audiences during speedruns of this game customarily spam the chat during the credits with the name of its development team, Deer Force. Stoke, an unused enemy from this game, resembles a miniature version of an eight-eyed miniboss that can only be defeated by forcing it into lava, which melts off its skin. The protagonist of this game learns abilities from friendly animals called Etecoons and Dachoras and fights Crocomire and Botwoon in (*) Norfair and Maridia, respectively. The player fights four bosses, including Draygon and Phantoon, to gain access to Tourian in this game, which introduced both Shinesparking and the Grapple Beam. It ends with the destruction of the planet Zebes after a larva earlier stolen by Ridley rescues the protagonist during a fight against Mother Brain. For 10 points, name this SNES game, the third in a series starring Samus Aran.
ANSWER: Super Metroid [do not accept or prompt on “Metroid” or “Metroid 3”] <Carson>
Carsten Gehring
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think, and the conversion data backs me up, that the tossup on "sign language" ended up being tragically transparent. Am I correct in that it did use a fun clue from Nashville, though?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Cheynem wrote:I think, and the conversion data backs me up, that the tossup on "sign language" ended up being tragically transparent. Am I correct in that it did use a fun clue from Nashville, though?
The clues were from Lake Windfall, Children of a Lesser God, The Tribe, and Mr. Holland's Opus.

That question is also problematic because it uses "this language" to refer to both ASL and Ukrainian sign language, but I couldn't think of another way to phrase it and use the same clues. Before any mirrors take place, I might remove the clues about The Tribe so that it can just be a tossup on ASL.
Carsten Gehring
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Curious about the bonus no one heard on "mama say, mama sah..." - would someone mind posting this? My team was talking about the uses of that phrase right after we left the tournament.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

CO Trash 2016 wrote:This ten-syllable phrase was adapted from Cameroonian musician Manu Dibango’s 1972 song “Soul Makossa.” For 10 points each:
[10] Give a reasonable approximation of this nonverbal ten-syllable phrase that is repeated many times at the end of Michael Jackson’s “Wanna Be Startin’ Something.”
ANSWER: mama say, mama sah, mama koo sah
[10] This R&B artist sampled the “mama say, mama sah, mama koo sah” portion of Jackson’s song for her 2007 song “Don’t Stop the Music,” which appeared on Good Girl Gone Bad alongside her hits “Disturbia” and “Umbrella.”
ANSWER: Rihanna [or Robyn Rihanna Fenty]
[10] Kanye West rapped the line “mama say mama say mama goes-ahn, lost in this plastic light” on the 2012 track “Lost in the World,” which features this Wisconsin-based band fronted by Justin Vernon. Their song “Holocene” appeared in 2011.
ANSWER: Bon Iver <Hart>
Carsten Gehring
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Can I see the tossup on Chris from the Sopranos? I feel really stupid for not getting that tossup because I'm watching the show right now.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

CO Trash 2016 wrote:This character has a vision of hell that he describes as “the Emerald Piper . . . an Irish bar where it’s St. Patrick’s Day every day, forever.” In an early episode, this character is forced to wait for hours in a bakery, prompting him to shoot the clerk in the foot. Later in the series, he avenges his late father Dickie by ambushing and executing Detective Barry Haydu. He suggests that a swearing-averse Janeane Garofalo use the word “buchiach,” impressing Jon Favreau, and later works with J. T. Dolan on the screenplay for (*) Cleaver. This character commits the first murder of the series when he kills Emil Kolar in the pilot. After he kills his girlfriend’s dog Cosette by nodding out while sitting on her, he goes to rehab for his heroin addiction. This character marries Kelli Lombardo after the death of his FBI-informant fiancée Adriana La Cerva. For 10 points, name this protégé of Tony Soprano who was played by Michael Imperioli.
ANSWER: Christopher Moltisanti [accept either; or Chrissy] <Carson>
Carsten Gehring
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

InvadErGII wrote:Could I see the question on Super Metroid? I was thrown by the earliness of the use of "Wrecked Ship" and am curious how it went after that.
My thought was that the phrase "wrecked ship" prior to any other context would be generic enough to not prompt a bunch of buzzes.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

This is easily 80+% my own idiocy, but there was some tossup which started out about a brother not wanting going on a plane. I stupidly negged with Rain Man on the spot but still might have been right in the frivolous protest universe where everyone's a nitpicky asshole. What TU was that?
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

CO Trash 2016 wrote:In this film, the main character refuses to get on a plane and insists that his brother rent a specific blue Buick for their drive back to California, during which he explains that he bought a plot of land in the title place because he may have been conceived there. One scene of this film takes place above a highway during the installation of an Evian billboard over one for the Raiders. This film’s protagonist lives for a time with his brother and his brother’s French wife Anne in L.A. after going missing for four years. Its climax occurs in the “coffee shop” set of a peep show in which the protagonist tells Jane, played by Nastassja Kinski, that their son Hunter is waiting for her in room 1520 of the Meridien Hotel. This film’s protagonist, who refuses to (*) speak until well into the film, is named Travis and is played by Harry Dean Stanton. The 1984 Palme d’Or at Cannes went to, for 10 points, what Wim Wenders film titled for a city in the Lone Star State?
ANSWER: Paris, Texas <Hart>
Carsten Gehring
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Any particular reason why stuff like "driving from New York to Los Angeles" wasn't at least promptable for the Cannonball Run tossup?
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Ndg wrote:Any particular reason why stuff like "driving from New York to Los Angeles" wasn't at least promptable for the Cannonball Run tossup?
The question referred to a specific "event," i.e. named thing the Cannonball Run, and I'm guessing that's why I didn't throw a prompt in there. I think it'd be defensible to prompt on the answer of "driving from New York to Los Angeles," but I also don't think it was necessary, and perhaps would be gratuitous, based on the wording of the question and the fact that the Cannonball Run is an event with a specific name.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

theMoMA wrote:
Ndg wrote:Any particular reason why stuff like "driving from New York to Los Angeles" wasn't at least promptable for the Cannonball Run tossup?
The question referred to a specific "event," i.e. named thing the Cannonball Run, and I'm guessing that's why I didn't throw a prompt in there. I think it'd be defensible to prompt on the answer of "driving from New York to Los Angeles," but I also don't think it was necessary, and perhaps would be gratuitous, based on the wording of the question and the fact that the Cannonball Run is an event with a specific name.
I'm not sure how it's clear that using the word "event" implies, "we're looking for a specific name." It's kind of a stretch to call the Cannonball Run an event anyway --- some random guy driving across the country doesn't seem like an "event" in the same way as, say, the World Series or the Boston Marathon are events.
Andrew Nadig

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Cannonball Run was run five times in the 1970's.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Cheynem wrote:Cannonball Run was run five times in the 1970's.
Was that part in the question? All I really remember were the clues I buzzed on about Alex Roy and the folks who broke his record, who were just random guys who decided to drive across the country really fast. That's why the terminology was so confusing to me.
Andrew Nadig

theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Ah, I can see how buzzing on the first clue of the question could lead you to be confused about whether "Cannonball Run" was the required answer; my apologies for not including a prompt. Carsten or Rob, could whichever of you has the set that will go out to mirrors please add a prompt for "driving across the country" or "driving from New York to California" or "driving from sea to sea" or "driving from New York to Los Angeles" on this question?
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

Can I see the tossups on "getting rocked" and "Rikki Don't Lose That Number"? I want to see where the first one was heading (We Will Rock You?) and where the second's power ended.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

10. In a song titled for this action, the singer describes finding a “sweet Madonna . . . with a Bible in her hand” and “doin’ eighty” on the way to a motel in anticipation of “fireworks in the night”; that song by .38 Special is titled for this action occurring “into the night.” The singer longs for a “seven-day weekend” and responds to his father’s orders to “mow the lawn” with, “who, me?” in a Def Leppard song titled “Let’s Get” this action. AC/DC sings “we hear the siren scream, it sounds so lean to me” in a song titled for this action “or bust.” Another song titled for this action contains the repeated line “you drive us (*) wild, we’ll drive you crazy.” The repeated words “I say no!,” which follow “turn it down you say” and “tell me not to play,” appear in a Twisted Sister song titled “I Wanna” do this action, which Scorpions sing that they’ll do to you “like a hurricane.” For 10 points, name this action that KISS wanted to do “all nite” after “party[ing] every day.”
ANSWER: rock [accept word forms such as rocking, rocked, rock and roll, or rock you; or “Rockin’ into the Night”; or “Let’s Get Rocked”; or “Rock or Bust”; or “I Wanna Rock”; or “Rock You Like a Hurricane”; or “Rock and Roll All Nite”] <Hart>
2. In 2006, Entertainment Weekly reported that the inspiration for this song is a critically acclaimed American author whose novels include 1993’s The Stain, which concluded a “Four Elements” tetralogy. According to a ClickHole oral history, every song on the album OK Computer began with a jam session on this song. This song was apparently inspired by a meeting at Bard College between a woman surnamed Ducornet (doo-cor-nay) and songwriter Donald Fagen. The lyrics of this song twice mention a “change of heart” and begin “we hear you’re leaving, that’s OK; I thought our little wild time had just begun.” This song, which suggests (*) sending the title piece of information “in a letter to yourself,” is the first track on the 1974 album Pretzel Logic. For 10 points, name this Steely Dan song whose title phrase is followed by the words “you don’t wanna call nobody else.”
ANSWER: “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number” <Hart>
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

That one question aside (which I still thought was a pretty cool thing to toss up!), this tournament was extremely well written and loads of fun, even if I didn't get much in the way of points, so thanks for all of the hard work that went into writing it.
Andrew Nadig

saintanthony
Lulu

Post by saintanthony »

Could I see the Pet Shop Boys tossup? I thought I heard "boy band" at one point.
Drew Scheeler
President Emeritus, Case Quizbowl
Case Western Reserve University '13
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

CO Trash 2016 wrote:This group recorded a 2002 song about a teen boy who hooks up with a male rapper clearly intended to be Eminem, prompting a response in “Canibitch” in which Eminem and Dr. Dre hit this group with a car. Joss Ackland joins members of this group in a taxi in one of their music videos, which was actually an excerpt from their film It Couldn’t Happen Here. One of their songs opens with the declaration “when I look back upon my life, it’s always with a sense of shame”; another begins its first verse “sometimes you’re (*) better off dead. There’s a gun in your hand and it’s pointing at your head.” This group behind “The Night I Fell in Love” and “It’s a Sin” recorded an acclaimed synthpop cover of “Always on My Mind” and, in their biggest American hit, described a “dead-end world” containing “East End boys and” the title people. For 10 points, Chris Lowe and Neil Tennant compose what British duo behind “West End Girls”?
ANSWER: Pet Shop Boys <Carson>
Carsten Gehring
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

theMoMA wrote:Ah, I can see how buzzing on the first clue of the question could lead you to be confused about whether "Cannonball Run" was the required answer; my apologies for not including a prompt. Carsten or Rob, could whichever of you has the set that will go out to mirrors please add a prompt for "driving across the country" or "driving from New York to California" or "driving from sea to sea" or "driving from New York to Los Angeles" on this question?
I've added this prompt.
Carsten Gehring